We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
First Recrystallization - No separation? Options

SoulPioneer
#1 Posted : 7/29/2015 5:29:22 PM

SoulPioneer

Hey guys, I had a question for those of you familiar with the recrystallization process. I tried it for the first time last night. Here's what I did:
-Made a hot water bath and warmed some "klean-strip" naphtha to 50 degrees Celsius.
-Poured approximately 8mL of warm naphtha into a small glass containing 250mg of "light yellow" spice.
-Gently swirled, everything dissolved in about 1 minute. Solution is now bright yellow.
-Blowing on it made it cloudy (confirming it's nice and saturated, according to posts I've read from others)
-Let it sit and cool to room temperature

Now here's my question, even after sitting at room temp for 4 hours, there was NO separation, NO gunk or "goo" at the bottom. Crystals did begin forming, and after 4 hours I put in fridge overnight, and into freezer this morning. The crystals are growing nicely, and that was really my only goal, with any purification being an added bonus. (the process, recrystallization, infusing leaf, making changa, or whatever, is almost just as enjoyable to me as smoking it! LOL) But I am still curious... Why no separation? No "goo"? Could it be that the spice is that pure already? (Without going into details, let's just say it came from a VERY reputable source) Or was there a mistake on my end? Don't think the naphtha was too hot, as I measured it at exactly 50 degrees before mixing.. Any thoughts?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Firemetal420
#2 Posted : 7/29/2015 5:42:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've had the same thing happen. I think the reason is that I Stirred the yellow stuff too much. My most successful recrystallizations were when I heated my nps in a hot water bath and then dropped the yellow crystals in. I waited a minute for it to melt and then I gently stirred only the nps on top of the melted crystals without actually touching them until it wouldn't dissolve fast anymore. Decant the clearer nps off of that and place it in a different container for freeze precip. Hope this helps Smile Thumbs up
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever

Orion
#3 Posted : 7/29/2015 6:41:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't swirl, just let it dissolve on it's own. Eventually there will be some dark liquid/crud on the bottom which you siphon your saturated solvent away from. You can save the crud from one or many extractions and do a mini a/b on it. Believe it or not ,as long as you didn't suck up any basic liquid before precipitation, it's still mostly DMT.

Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

JustCurious.
#4 Posted : 7/30/2015 1:05:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, by the looks of things you didn't extract it yourself, I get this from 'source'.
So there is a good chance it has already had a re-x, in which case it would just dissolve in your solvent completely.
Extract your own spice, it's easy.

JustCurious.
#5 Posted : 7/30/2015 1:09:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, naptha can't really be too hot for a re-x, really you would want a boiling solvent which would allow you to re-x using the smallest volume possible which is what you want.

FLeP
#6 Posted : 7/30/2015 2:14:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Klean Strip is made up of part xylene and part aromatic hydrocarbons. Both of those are going to dissolve stuff you don't want. Use heptane or a better naphtha.

SoulPioneer
#7 Posted : 7/30/2015 5:04:46 PM

SoulPioneer

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I'll have to order some "Bestine" for next time. Nobody sells it around here lol. But I have collected and am drying the crystals. They look awesome! Yellow, but awesome! LOL. Now for the remaining (now clear) naphtha, I should just evap to make sure to retrieve everything? Or maybe evap until it clouds when blown on again and stick back in freezer?