We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
HungryMan Tek Options

Curb
#1 Posted : 5/13/2014 7:45:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cooking is like extracting Smile Using the right ratios and taking into consideration how long things take to react, you can end up with a nice nutrition yielding product, so here is the dish i am most proud of. and best of all, anyone can cook it.

Equipment:
Electric Wok (full size)------------------------------FEEDS 8-10+
Strong wooden spoon or spatula of some sort----COOKING TIME - 1HR
Serving spoon (dont forget that lovely juice)
Large saucepan (for pasta)
Kitchen knife
big chopping board
Salad bowl

Ingredients: (in order used)
4 Onions -Diced
250-500 grams of mushrooms -Sliced
(Optional)small amount of Chilli -Diced finely
6 cloves of garlic -Diced finely
1-2 Capsicum (more variety of color = better))
3 stalks of french onion -sliced (the leafy parts you keep for later)

2KG of mince
Herbs and spices of your choosing
(i like sage, cummin, paprika at the start and Basil towards the end)
4 or 5 big Celery stalks -Diced (and leafy parts of the french onion)
5-10 tomatos -Diced
1 big zuchini -Grated
2 carrots -Grated
Lots of Basil
Pasta sauce (around 1-1.5L)
hopefully i havent forgot anything

Now the trick to this recipe is lots of heat, no overcooking - so lots of stiring and love+attention

Step 1.
Cut up all the ingredients for the later part of your recipe (once you start cooking, its game on and no time for cutting). So celery, clean ALL of your ingredients in cold water and proceeed to cut the white parts off the celery, slice them in half down the centre and dice them all as a big bunch (1cmx2cm pieces roughly) and slice all the tomatos then dice them however you see fit. Throw all of this into your salad bowl

Step 2.
Dice your onions and put them into the wok (dont turn it on yet) and slice the mushrooms and put it back into the box they came in or onto a plate along with diced chillis and garlic. Finally, cut your capsicum into flat pieces which you can then slice and Dice in a big bunch, slice the french onion stalks right down to the roots. keep all your scraps for lovely compost or chook food

Step 3.
Turn the wok to max heat and stir the onions frequently until they you see the first bit of brown somewhere (using small amounts of oil when necessary). Add the garlic, Chilli and mushrooms, oh and dont forget the butter, mushrooms love butter, and plenty off it. just dont let it get soggy (turn up the heat, dont be afraid).

Step 4.
Once the mushrooms have shrunken to about half size or less, add your sliced french onion stalks and diced capsicum, fry for a minute or 2 extra then add all of your meat and turn the wok to about half heat and break it up with your wooden spatula, stiring everything into each other and not spilling everything everywhere (its messy, but fun). also add herbs and spices that smell good, anything and everything goes, and there is no such thing as too much spice Razz

Step 5.
So, you have been stiring that like crazy, keeping the heat up and not leaving the kitchen and the meat is now mostly browned cept a few pink bits here and there. add your basil (again, dont hold out, a good handfull of dried basil, or 3 handfuls of fresh basil leaves) stir the basil in, then add your salid bowl ingredients consisting of your diced celery, tomatos and french onion leaves). cook till you see no pink meat.. it is all browned, and some more - turn the heat down a touch

Step 5A.
Pasta. boil 5-10L of water and cook as much pasta as your pot will hold, you will be needing it. adding salt and a dash of oil will stop it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Step 6.
Add the coarsely grated zuchini and carrot then add the pasta sauce ONLY when you are confident the meat is well cooked and its smelling nice, at this stage you could add a bit more fresh very finely diced chilli if you do like a nice curry at times.. turn the heat down so the pasta sauce is just bubbling lightly and simmer for 10 minutes to reduce some of that liquid. Also, red wine is a very nice addition at this stage, 1 cup or so (use it ti rinse out the pasta sauce jars)

Step 7.
Simmer, simmer, simmer. once you are happy with the liquid/meat ratio, put the lid on and turn the heat down some more. just bubbling, no ferocious cooking noises. and stir it well every 4 or 5 minutes. 20 minutes of simmering is about what i usually go with, but up to an hour at low low heat can bring out more flavors.

THIS WILL FEED at-least 8 very hungry people +seconds with no complaints of not enough, and will always please with minimal time/effort. I cooked this in about an hour and a half. from the time i opened the fridge to serving.

The pictures were taken after 4 meals had been taken. (we freeze the rest for work meals) If by the end you haven't spilt anything off the side of the wok. you didnt use enough ingredients.

Please: if you cook this, let me know how it goes.
update 12/09/2014: if you do the initial fry up, remove it, then half cooking the meat (and loading up on lots of spices) before re-adding it this can result in a less mushy end product and takes less time (can stew with the sauce longer at the end instead)
Curb attached the following image(s):
Cutting area.jpg (738kb) downloaded 371 time(s).
Sunbeam WOK.jpg (549kb) downloaded 371 time(s).
WOK did you say.jpg (819kb) downloaded 369 time(s).
Lovely Ingredients.jpg (1,310kb) downloaded 378 time(s).
High Yield.jpg (1,172kb) downloaded 370 time(s).
Flash Photography.jpg (786kb) downloaded 370 time(s).
Spiced scumptiousness.jpg (1,246kb) downloaded 373 time(s).
"you know, there are many people in the country today... who, through no fault of their own: are sane. some of them were born sane, some of them became sane later in their lives. it is up to people like you and me (who are out of our tiny little minds) to try and help these people overcome their sanity" -Monty Python

"I have reasoned and i have logicked and mentally discovered with my mindthoughts that this world (the one we live in) is created by people. people are making this happen." - Unpopular Youtuber

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

adam
#2 Posted : 5/21/2014 3:16:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks tasty might have to give it a try.
Thumbs up

Curb
#3 Posted : 9/13/2014 6:42:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Vegalistic goodness + chicken (optional)
I was going to make a separate thread for this but since there is no attention to hungryman tek, it can be an addition (see pictures below)

Ingredients:
Olive oil
3 brown onions diced #0
250-500g of favorite mushrooms (i didnt have any) #0
2 zucchini (Sliced to quarters length-ways then diced) #0
Bowl 1
2 capsicum (sliced then cut into 1-2" pieces or diced) [#1]
2 carrot sliced (sliced into quarter, then diced) [#1]
Bowl 2
8 tomatoes sliced and diced (not too small) [#2]
5 Celery stalks (sliced in half then diced) [#2]
2 chicken breasts copped into in 3/4" - 1" cube pieces (you could use 3-5 breasts if you want it more meaty) [#2 once cooked]

note: you could use a large pan, just half the amount of ingredients...
note2: i start the cooking only once everything is chopped and placed into bowls -indicated #1 or #2
STEP 1.
Preheat wok/pan to as hot as it will go and add some oil, put in all of your chicken stiring frantically and adding more oil if it evaporates. add in parsley,tarragon,and cumin or any other spices you prefer. STIR that chicken, as soon as you cannot see any more clear meat. (its all seared and not raw on the outside) take it out and into a salad bowl [#2]

STEP 2.
fry the onion, the heat should stay on max (if you get worried STIR MORE) stiring it often (turn on the overhead fan or open windows) until you get little crispy brown edges on the onion or it becomes slightly see-through. This is when you ADD ZUCCHINI and try to get the flat sides browned (my wok didnt have the power). you can add the mushrooms too at this point -once the Zucchini becomes soft or you see that they are slightly browned. you are ready for step3

STEP 3.
Add bowl #1 and keep stirring... the heat should still be maxed out, and a lovely aroma developing. you really want the capsicum to start softening (nothing wrong with some crunch though), it wont take long before smells start changing and maybe you get some liquid building up. add chives or any light herb that might add to the flavor. (i added some basil here, but not much)

STEP 4.
Add bowl #2. how long you cook it is up to you.. stir often and dont overcook the chicken. a good indicator is when the tomatoes start to curl slightly or the skin peels a little. you really dont need to cook it much. [all of the ingredients (not chicken) are edible raw] just take a piece of chicken and slice it in half to check if its cooked. even if its slightly underdone, you can turn the heat off and leave the lid on to stew as it cools. (a upside down plate will suffice if you dont have a lid)

and we're done. cutting the vegetables is the most timely part of the job. Healthy, easy, quick. and plenty of leftovers for the fridge/freezer. why do small meals when you can cook big ones and eat it for lunch for days or weeks to come?

Curb attached the following image(s):
IMG_20140913_192921_907.jpg (554kb) downloaded 215 time(s).
IMG_20140913_193027_275.jpg (527kb) downloaded 219 time(s).
"you know, there are many people in the country today... who, through no fault of their own: are sane. some of them were born sane, some of them became sane later in their lives. it is up to people like you and me (who are out of our tiny little minds) to try and help these people overcome their sanity" -Monty Python

"I have reasoned and i have logicked and mentally discovered with my mindthoughts that this world (the one we live in) is created by people. people are making this happen." - Unpopular Youtuber

LightDancer
#4 Posted : 7/28/2015 9:32:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Buying stuff to try this out over the coming week/s Smile
If there is no learning, there is no change.
If there is no change, there is no growth.
Without growth, we will only stagnate and decompose.

LightDancer
#5 Posted : 7/29/2015 12:45:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i halved the ingredients, and im glad i did!

tastes amazing, thankyou so much Very happy

8/10 from me, and the spawn says its "the best pasta sauce ever! It's amazing!!"
Very happy
LightDancer attached the following image(s):
11817232_959770304079170_860707212911322974_n.jpg (67kb) downloaded 118 time(s).
1557437_959770284079172_3543885936972613633_n.jpg (70kb) downloaded 120 time(s).
11817196_959770264079174_3865961098911943724_n.jpg (60kb) downloaded 119 time(s).

TGO
#6 Posted : 7/29/2015 3:47:57 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

You guys are making me hungry! Drool

I guess I should get up and make something! But seriously, these recipes look amazing! I'll have to give them a shot sometime! Thank you for sharing!

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

LightDancer
#7 Posted : 7/29/2015 4:18:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

oh and curb, im planning to try your stirfry thing tomorrow Smile after feeding myself and the spawn, ive got three containers full of the pasta sauce, and considering i halved it before cooking, if i do the next batch i should have 4-5 more containers to come Smile
the stirfry thing should give about 6-8 containers i think Very happy filling up my freezer nicely Very happy

Curb
#8 Posted : 9/10/2015 9:51:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the encouragement LD Smile beef curry update incoming. i took photos when making beef curry hungryman tek a month or so ago, but forgot to post it Rolling eyes