We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
shredded vs powdered bark Options

highRvibratoryfreq
#1 Posted : 12/19/2013 1:31:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

has anyone tried acid cooking shredded bark without first powdering it, and if so have they noticed a drop in yields compared to using powdered bark?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Jaigurudevaom42
#2 Posted : 12/19/2013 2:51:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've never tried it before but me being loyal to what most of the tek's suggest it seems that powdering the bark makes it easier for the plant alkaloids to be isolated and extracted, since the citric acid breaks down the cell walls easier.
I'd guess trying to acid cook shredded bark would be just a waste, unless someone knows the right cooking method.
Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell
calls the faithful to their knees, to hear the softly spoken magic spells

fathomlessness
#3 Posted : 7/4/2015 1:17:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I haven't found a conclusive answer yet here on the nexus. From my experience slightly shredded bark will still work but not as good as powdered or as close to as possible.

Pressure cookers have higher temps and allow you to lyse the cell more which can help in the situation.

In either case I find that it is best to use a flour sieve to seperate the powder from the shredded fibre and cook the fibrous stuff in the pressure cooker.

P.S. I go from blender on 1 minute then put all of that into a coffee grinder for 30 seconds and you end up in the clear, make sure you have good blenders and grinders though because they can go out the window quick!

P.P.S. If your wanting to know what is acceptable, something like this

ultraviolence
#4 Posted : 7/5/2015 9:38:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't even powder my bark anymore, I get whole chunks and smash them down with a hammer, it turns into strands and gravel sized pieces. As long as you do your acid boils properly, the goodies will come out, I've noticed no difference in yield between shredded and powdered.

DoingKermit
#5 Posted : 7/5/2015 11:17:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would powder it first if you have a good coffee grinder or blender, but it isn't necessary IME. I find I need to do a couple extra boils if I use shredded though.

Edit: By the way, there is another thread already related to this... https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=4638

proto-pax
#6 Posted : 7/5/2015 5:37:58 PM

bird-brain

I prefer shredded bark.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

steppa
#7 Posted : 7/6/2015 6:37:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For my last extractions I took shredded bark, put it in a bag along with water and a good splash of vinegar. Then I freeze/thawed it four times and directly added naHO, skipping any boiling. Both times yielded a little over two grams from 100g of bark with as little hands on time as possible.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

BongWizard
#8 Posted : 7/6/2015 8:56:42 AM

Hyperspace Cowboy

As has been stated above, shredded bark works just as well if you do your acid step correctly (plenty of time for the acid to permeate the fibres and heat/cold to lyse the cells). Additionally, it's significantly easier and faster to filter shredded bark before you base the solution, which in turn results in significantly less fats and tannins in your product without the need for a second acid/base cleanup.
"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be a spirit of tolerance in the entire population." -Albert Einstein

I'm not a big fan of SWIM. I mean, I've never met the guy, but any time I hear about him, he's doing something sketchy.