We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Greece? Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 7/4/2015 6:48:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have any other Nexians been following the events unfolding Greece recently? With the referendum coming tomorrow, Monday is going be interesting, regardless of how the people vote.

Personally, I think that, given how Greece ended up in this mess, it would be absurd for them to accept the EUs terms and vote 'YES' on the referendum. I would definitely vote 'NO,' given the chance.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

The Traveler
#2 Posted : 7/4/2015 7:12:46 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Unfortunately it is not as easy as that.

Greece itself did a lot of wrong things to get into this mess as well and the EU just let them get into it.

The best solution would be reform for the Greece and a much, much longer time to pay of their debts and perform these reforms.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

proto-pax
#3 Posted : 7/5/2015 12:00:35 AM

bird-brain

I thought tsiaparias or whatever the dudes name was was using NO to get the EU to be more cool about the deal orginially, but hes still pushing for it.

I expect he'll get out of power as the PM and then elected to the EUs parliment cause they love insanopants folks.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Nathanial.Dread
#4 Posted : 7/5/2015 6:35:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
Unfortunately it is not as easy as that.

Greece itself did a lot of wrong things to get into this mess as well and the EU just let them get into it.

The best solution would be reform for the Greece and a much, much longer time to pay of their debts and perform these reforms.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

My understanding of the referendum is that, for the last 5 years, they've been living under heavy austerity, as a condition of getting bailouts from the IMF and ECB, which they were assured would help their economy recover - however, in the 5 years that they've been trying austerity, instead of improving, their economy has continued to collapse, leaving them in the dire financial straits there in now.

A 'YES' vote would essentially be a vote to continue down the same path (they get the money, but more austerity, more of the same), while a 'NO' vote would send them back to the drawing board and the end of austerity (as well as, possibly their involvement with the EU).

Is it not the case that the debt is primarily the result of the EU governments helping the banks (which had taken on large amounts of private debt) by essentially making all that debt public, forcing the taxpayers to pay it off, which they could not do?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

endlessness
#5 Posted : 7/5/2015 7:04:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I've definitely been following it... Personally I feel that there is no easy answer and that either of the solutions will mean a lot of problems for the citizens of greece.

In my economic ignorance, I can't help but think that voting 'yes' would be like bending over to the troika and would mean extending the lie perpetuated by the banking system, while a 'no' would help precipitating the end of that lie (leading into a cascade effect and starting a new 'crisis' which would finally require a true global change in how humans interact with each other in terms of transfering value/money).

Strigiform
#6 Posted : 7/5/2015 8:50:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like the Greeks are saying NO to the referendum.

proto-pax
#7 Posted : 7/6/2015 2:20:24 AM

bird-brain

Lisbon treaty up in this house me thinks.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

BringsUsTogether
#8 Posted : 7/6/2015 2:54:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

[REDACTED]

EDIT: See response below. I was not educated about the issue and judged it without considering all points of view.

The Neural
#9 Posted : 11/22/2015 3:58:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BringsUsTogether wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/gLMumfD.png

This cartoon explains how Greece got into this situation perfectly.

No, it doesn't. It is trolling at best.

Try to see how Greece has been manipulated by the UK right after WWII to have their own officials in their lands and move things around for their own interests, how dictatorship was welcomed in the 60's, and even encouraged by the "allies", how capitalism was slowly introduced and how "helping hands" drove Greece to owe finances that had been depleted by Nazi occupation, to... well... Germany.

Also try to add to this farce of an infographic how German companies like Siemens made under-the-table deals with right wing Greek governments for decades (governments placed of course by US and Germany for this particular reason) that literally emptied Greece's monetary assets, while promising development and growth to the people. Germany is into this trick along with all previous Greek political parties in power.

And to the OP, voting "No" was nothing more than a pebble. A false hope for greek citizens living under poverty for decades, hoping for change promised by a supposed "left wing" government, which was proven nothing of the sort, neither in principle nor in action.

Prices of food and essentials are still comparable to Finland's, yet national wage is for the most part around 400 euros per month.

Greece is open for tourists to sunbathe on luxurious hotels and privately owned beaches and islands (once belonging to the country itself, now to wealthy foreigners, sold out by the right wing governments), while the rest of the people are divided into 50% working overtime to make ends meet, and the rest living with their parents because they are unemployed, and with no hope of a future, let alone a pension or a family or a place to call their own.

Greece is gradually turning into Brazil, where tourists misidentify Brazil as a country with great food, beautiful clubs and bars, and vibrant happy people. Because they will not be advised to traverse to the remaining 90% of the country that is ridden with slums and people dying of malnutrition.

Greece has a healthy (for lack of a better word) proportion of neo-nazi groups, mistreatment of prisoners by the state police, children fainting in public schools because of lack of proper nutrition, a poorly funded educational system, no application of human rights, a rigidly old-school perspective on traditional values (including sexism, no regard for homosexual rights, animal rights, and an immense overprotective force on religion which dominates the educational system and social relationships), and are now even terrified of war refugees seeking asylum cause their country is being bombed by 5 different nations.

No, whether they should pay their debt or not should be ultmately irrelevant to everyone except to the EU debtors.

People should always come first, regardless of the cost, something the EU agenda has left out of the equation.

Welcome to the IMF.

Welcome to the EU.

What you don't understand, you can make mean anything. - Chuck P.

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.

Ufostrahlen
#10 Posted : 11/22/2015 4:29:24 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Quote:
Transparency International, an independent corruption monitoring NGO, found that 13% of Greeks paid fakelaki (bribery in the form of envelopes with cash donations) in 2009, which was estimated to account for €787 million in yearly corruption payments.[4] At the same time it was estimated that roughly €1 billion was paid by companies in bribes to public institutions for avoiding bureaucratic rules or to get other benefits.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fakelaki

Quote:
Tax evasion and corruption is a problem in Greece.[1][2] Tax evasion has been described by Greek politicians as "a national sport"— with up to €30 billion per year going uncollected.[3]

According to Transparency International's Global Corruption Barometer 2013, 90% of surveyed households consider political parties to be corrupt or extremely corrupt—ranking as the most corrupt institution in Greece. Furthermore, 39% of the surveyed households believe that the level of corruption has increased a lot, and 46% of surveyed households find government efforts in the fight against corruption to be very ineffective.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org...and_corruption_in_Greece

No wonder pupils are fainting, if you can't collect 30bn € and don't pay for school meals.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

The Neural
#11 Posted : 11/22/2015 4:40:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:

No wonder pupils are fainting, if you can't collect 30bn € and don't pay for school meals.

Please kindly drop the "you" when you refer to a whole country. Rather try to address a political party than the people themselves, unless you are willfully trying to attribute blame to a whole nation for the wrongdoings of people in power.

It should also not be surprising to you that the government does not pay for school meals, if a working family makes 400 euros, imagine what the funding for that public school is.

I sincerely hope you are not being sarcastic and with a "suits you right" attitude about human misfortune.

P.S. just to get the facts right, bribery is not something Greek citizens "prefer" to do for "fun". It is rather "I will do this surgery, if you bribe me". Then they bribe the surgeon, the doctor, the civil engineer, the policeman, etc. Because these people in such positions, were appointed in such positions by the respective government in power. Not by merit.

What you don't understand, you can make mean anything. - Chuck P.

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.