We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV4748495051NEXT»
Acacia and Mimosa Identification Thread Options

kubizm
#961 Posted : 6/10/2015 8:22:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll grab the photo for you now,
Thanks man! Thumbs up
I stole a globe map, saw the world for the taking!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

kubizm
#962 Posted : 6/10/2015 8:54:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here ya go man! Big grin
kubizm attached the following image(s):
CAM00688.jpg (932kb) downloaded 293 time(s).
CAM00692.jpg (1,046kb) downloaded 286 time(s).

kubizm
#963 Posted : 6/10/2015 11:06:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Are those photos good enough?
If not I'll get more tomorrow, already taken then phyllodes off the stems.

But looking at the peduncle, it looks like a Floribunda, or am I looking at the wrong thing? Smile

kubizm
#964 Posted : 6/16/2015 7:18:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Walking to the shops I came across another acacia.
It looked similar to the last one I posted pics of until I got some close up pics.
Looks a little different to the last one.
Again any help would be massively appreciated! Thumbs up
kubizm attached the following image(s):
IMG_4214.jpg (22kb) downloaded 274 time(s).
IMG_4221.jpg (81kb) downloaded 271 time(s).
IMG_4222.jpg (82kb) downloaded 265 time(s).
IMG_4220.jpg (62kb) downloaded 265 time(s).
IMG_4216.jpg (39kb) downloaded 270 time(s).
IMG_4218.jpg (32kb) downloaded 265 time(s).
IMG_4219.jpg (33kb) downloaded 262 time(s).

Psilosopher?
#965 Posted : 6/22/2015 8:30:16 AM

Don't Panic

I found this bushwalking in SW Sydney. Only took one good picture. We were taking herbs, so we weren't the best photographers. Is this an Acacia? I still gathered about 100g of twigs.

Psilosopher? attached the following image(s):
IMG_20150621_131657.jpg (2,674kb) downloaded 256 time(s).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

floribunda
#966 Posted : 7/3/2015 2:18:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey everyone,

I am looking for an ID on an Acacia found in New Zealand.

Location was in the far north which is subtropical. This was growing pretty much on the beach close to a bunch of aloe vera plants. So it was growing out of a very sandy soil mix and prone to very salty air.

The shrubs only grew about 1.5-2m high at max and had very reddish twigs. I hope that I can get an ID and that it is something worth working with in the future! The plants are a good 5 hours drive from me and I took only photos as per usual Cool

Here are the pics:

floribunda attached the following image(s):
IMG_8805.jpg (1,563kb) downloaded 227 time(s).
IMG_8806.jpg (1,682kb) downloaded 226 time(s).
IMG_8807.jpg (578kb) downloaded 226 time(s).
IMG_8808.jpg (542kb) downloaded 229 time(s).
IMG_8809.jpg (329kb) downloaded 224 time(s).
IMG_8810.jpg (316kb) downloaded 228 time(s).
IMG_8812.JPG (1,239kb) downloaded 226 time(s).
IMG_8813.JPG (1,401kb) downloaded 226 time(s).

sega
#967 Posted : 7/3/2015 4:09:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello fellow swimmers

I have been hanging around the Nexus for a couple of years now, never contributed but i have learned very much indeed. My interest since getting into the world of psychedelics has been focused on Mushrooms then Mescaline containing Cacti, which i am now extracting with the help of some the brilliant minds on this forum Thumbs up
Anyhow of late i am extremely interested in further exploring DMT and 5-meO-Dmt, both to experience them and to find a reliable local source of plants to extract from.

First i,ll be testing a few different Delosperma sp that grow wild here with a/b tek with xylene as np for pulling full spectrum.
To the question, i am also very keen on trying a few of the Acacia sp which grow here.
Could anyone with expertise in this area please help with the identification of the following Acacia samples, 1,3 and 4 look similar.

Plant 1

Plant 2 [ thinking acacia saligna?]

Plant 3

Plant 4

sega
#968 Posted : 7/3/2015 4:17:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post this, was confused as to weather i should post here or under plant analysis and testing Embarrased

kubizm
#969 Posted : 7/3/2015 5:51:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm no good at IDing, but there's an Acacia Identification thread in this section (collaborative research project)

Good luck Thumbs up

sega
#970 Posted : 7/3/2015 7:16:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks hey
I checked that thread out, should i repost pics there? i am pretty confident i have identified two of them but i'd just like to hear from someone with experience as assurance.
Also after simmering first delosperma batch[prefrozen] in acidic water then straining i got a grapefruit juice coloured liquid which turned to a bright strawberry milkshake pink when reduced, anyone heard of such a thing?

sega
#971 Posted : 7/4/2015 11:05:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Nobody? Hows this
I am going to extract and test them anyway[phylodes and twigs] just want id for research purposes. I will post results, yields, self test and methods of extraction, i just want to see if anybody is interested. Seems not?
I am based in South Africa btw and these acacias are growing around me in the Western Cape.
A lot of other sp which look promising and i will post these along te way.
There are big eradication projects here to remove kilometers of Acacia Saligna forest, so endless source of itin huge amounts Surprised

--Shadow
#972 Posted : 7/9/2015 12:04:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Look like Acacia Sophorae which is probably the most common coastal wattle, hence the name "coastal wattle".

They have an increased thickness in the leaves to protect the plant from dehydration, exposure to the sun and salt spray, and wiry stiff leaves and stems which enable the plants to tolerate abrasion by salt-laden winds and sands.

Seems to have a bit more red that the ones that grow around the NSW coastal areas I've come across. Although this can be due to plant response to effectively sunscreen itself, not necessarily indication of alkaloids being present.

Throughout recorded time and long before, trees have stood as sentinels, wise yet silent, patiently accumulating their rings while the storms of history have raged around them --The living wisdom of trees, Fred Hageneder

nen888
#973 Posted : 7/10/2015 10:00:34 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..the 2nd/3rd pics are probably A. saligna..the first something else..to be certain with acacia ID flowers and pods are required..but given imminent removal of these trees it sounds like a good experiment sega..

sega
#974 Posted : 7/10/2015 11:55:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply Nen Thumbs up
Ya so much material to work with but then again a lot to learn.
I think the others are acacia cyclops.
I also recently found a valley recently full of newly chopped down acacia longfolia, floribunda? and maidenii some of which are still alive.
Will post pics off plants and results soon.

Just one more question
Should i do defats or first checkout everything its got?

ForgotMyPen
#975 Posted : 7/12/2015 1:34:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I have struggled so hard with this identification stuff.

There is an area in southern Sydney which has, what appears to be, a single species of wattle which is incredibly common. It is along the side of roads everywhere, it is beside trainlines, besides walking tracks, in front yards; it is everywhere. And they are all flowering now (they started at the end of June, and are in full flower now at the middle of july (I've seen one or two with old flowers which look like they might be sprouting beans now?)

Anyway, because of the timing of the flowers and this line from the Sutherland Shire Plants Guide (http://sutherland.austplants.com.au/Suth_Shire_Plants_Guide_200511.pdf) :

"Renown for the masses of golden flower spikes in spring. Common to open forests across the Shire."

I'm pretty sure it is Longifolia Sub. Long.

It is just frustrating that because of all of the many hundreds of these trees around, I can see so much variation from specimen to specimen. Some have long narrow leaves, some have short rounder leaves. Some leaves look like they have blunt tips, others definitely have pointed tips. Some have nice smooth bark, others ruptured bark. Some are low round bushes, others are tall trees with a central trunk. Sometimes I think the leaves feel thick and strong, other times they feel like thin paper leaves.

This is why for so long I have been walking around in circles going "I think its maidenii. No I think its obtusifolia. No maybe its floribunda...."

The worst complication I have found is that a few times now I have found old seed pods still attached to the tree from last season....and the seed pods are extremely coiled, wrapped around the branch 3-5 times.

Maybe they are just the random exception, and that is why they are still attached when all of the others have fallen off?

Anyway, all of the confusion aside, none of the other species described in the local environment flower at this time of year (Obtusifolia in Nov-Jan, Maidenii Jan-June, Floribunda early spring; so maybe floribunda, but the ones I have tend to have a 'marginal gland', which is meant to distinguish Floribunda)

Anyway, here are some photos of what I think is Acacia Longifolia sub. Long. They were all taken in the first half of July 2015.

This is one of the more tree-like specimens.

You can see the nice long pointed leaves here.

And here you can see the green pubescent stamens to the left, a few freshly flowered ones in the background on the left side (yellow) and lots of older orange coloured flowers to the right.

This is a different tree now, and on this one it looks like the flowers have started to seed.

Another angle of the sprouting beans(?)

A photo of the trunk and branch. This specimen was more bushlike than the other tree above. This tree also tended to have wider phyllodes than the tree. Though it still had reasonably pointed leaves. Some of the bushy ones looked very obtusifolia like...

Aside: I also accidentally stumbled across a heap of Longifolia Sub Sophorae two weeks ago one the coast. They were also flowering. They were a pretty easy identification.

Psilosopher?
#976 Posted : 7/21/2015 1:01:45 PM

Don't Panic

So the first tree I posted here had very low yields. Don't even think it was an Acacia. This batch, however, looks like an acacia. I think. Any help with IDing it?

Psilosopher? attached the following image(s):
IMG_20150720_130604.jpg (3,089kb) downloaded 157 time(s).
IMG_20150720_130620.jpg (1,874kb) downloaded 157 time(s).
IMG_20150720_130633.jpg (3,483kb) downloaded 157 time(s).
IMG_20150720_150417.jpg (3,253kb) downloaded 158 time(s).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

SpathiEluder
#977 Posted : 7/27/2015 2:25:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know this thread is pretty dead with the influx of ID requests, but I have to ask about this one, as its in my front yard.

Is it Longifolia ?

https://imgur.com/a/fCHNT

nen888
#978 Posted : 7/28/2015 12:37:49 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

SpathiEluder wrote:
I know this thread is pretty dead with the influx of ID requests, but I have to ask about this one, as its in my front yard.

Is it Longifolia ?

yes, longifolia..

i'd estimate you have a 30-50% chance of obtaining what the gist of the forum is from the species..

re 'dead thread', i think it's partly to do with greater numbers of either previously ID'd species, and also species which aren't even acacias (which to my mind, in most cases, except a few look-a-likes, if one can't even work out what is a wattle, i don't think one has the required grasp of intellect to be dealing with tryptamine extraction)
..that said, when something interesting turns up there are still people here who'll have a go at ID..

..also, many acacia appreciators have gone more quiet/protective following an increase in killing of trees through bark taking, and other extreme damage in the wild..as Seldom once pointed to: "cast not pearls to swine.."

(p.s. to those swine..stay the f-away from national parks and reserves..we are moving in on you, and you're going to get spotted and handed over)

SpathiEluder
#979 Posted : 7/28/2015 5:31:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
SpathiEluder wrote:

Is it Longifolia ?

yes, longifolia..

i'd estimate you have a 30-50% chance of obtaining what the gist of the forum is from the species..

re 'dead thread', i think it's partly to do with greater numbers of either previously ID'd species, and also species which aren't even acacias (which to my mind, in most cases, except a few look-a-likes, if one can't even work out what is a wattle, i don't think one has the required grasp of intellect to be dealing with tryptamine extraction)
..that said, when something interesting turns up there are still people here who'll have a go at ID..

..also, many acacia appreciators have gone more quiet/protective following an increase in killing of trees through bark taking, and other extreme damage in the wild..as Seldom once pointed to: "cast not pearls to swine.."

(p.s. to those swine..stay the f-away from national parks and reserves..we are moving in on you, and you're going to get spotted and handed over)

Thank you Nen!

And my apologies I didn't mean that as a reflection of people not wanting to ID, it was more my lazy phrasing meaning that I understand that this thread only gets looked at occasionally due to the large volume of newer members requesting ID's in their enthusiasm. (me being one of them)

I did my best to research using the Lucid ID page, and narrowed it down to about 10 species until i clicked "WA region" and then only longifolia remained, so it had me doubting the result as I am sure it wasn't a native/natural addition to this front garden.

I am glad though, I had been eyeing off this tree in my yard since moving in 6 months ago due to the phyllodes alone, and it wasnt until this week that I actually started to see a sign of flowering giving me a hint that it might be acacia.

I appreciate your in depth research and sharing, and have spent many, many nights reading it. I am looking forward to heading out this summer for bush walks and pay respects to A.Acuminata that we are blessed with.

SpathiEluder
#980 Posted : 7/28/2015 5:37:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The other little shame is that shortly after i moved in they did a massive cut back on this tree as it was hanging over the driveway scratching cars. Unfortunately I missed the day that they hacked it up, I could have helped dispose of those cut pieces!

«PREV4748495051NEXT»