We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
I don't want to crack my GVG, is this torch lighter okay? Options

Helloevo
#1 Posted : 6/30/2015 12:57:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I received my gvg last week and haven't really gotten a chance to use it because upon removing the screen to clean it before my first use I noticed what appeared to be a crack in the bowl area. I did do a small test run with some bud beforehand and I used this torch lighter so I'm wondering if this is possibly what caused the bowl to crack. It doesn't make much sense because the top should've cracked before the bowl (right?) but I'm being paranoid because it's such an expensive (and important) piece of glass. I also don't really want to drop another $50 on a turboflame arc when I just spent $120+ on the GVG.

I spoke with vaporgenie and they're sending a replacement, but I want to take every precaution that I can to ensure I get the most mileage I possibly can out of it. I've attached a pic of the bowl and also some pictures of the torch lighter on both the lowest and highest settings. And I apologize in advance for making so many threads but I'm limited to the number of places I can post such questions.
Helloevo attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (97kb) downloaded 155 time(s).
image.jpg (1,207kb) downloaded 157 time(s).
image.jpg (3,216kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
image.jpg (2,116kb) downloaded 153 time(s).
image.jpg (2,111kb) downloaded 155 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

boogerz
#2 Posted : 6/30/2015 3:55:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

try searching for "zico torch lighter" at the famous auction site
i think you can find one for about 11 usd

Tryptallmine
#3 Posted : 6/30/2015 7:31:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You weren't kiddin', that's a bloody torch alright!
Do you glaze your Crème brûlée's with that thing too?

I find a jet lighter does the trick let alone a blow torch. That's funny as. Thumbs up

Helloevo
#4 Posted : 6/30/2015 7:24:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

boogerz wrote:
try searching for "zico torch lighter" at the famous auction site
i think you can find one for about 11 usd

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and got the Regal T-38 Thumbs up I really wanted the black one but the t-38 looked exactly like the arc where as the black one so I didn't want to risk it, should I avoid using my torch until the "arc" comes in?

Tryptallmine wrote:
You weren't kiddin', that's a bloody torch alright!
Do you glaze your Crème brûlée's with that thing too?

I find a jet lighter does the trick let alone a blow torch. That's funny as. Thumbs up

Haha, it really doesn't seem that much stronger than your average torch lighter, it's just bigger and bulkier. I had the smaller one too but that crapped out on me fairly quickly and this one seems like it's built better and has a cool little lock feature that locks the torch when you light it so you don't have to keep pressing the ignite burton. I'll probably never use it but it's cool to have.

marz
#5 Posted : 7/2/2015 12:30:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Using a torch can break/crack your downsteam be careful best of luck.
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution

Helloevo
#6 Posted : 7/2/2015 5:54:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

marzbar329 wrote:
Using a torch can break/crack your downsteam be careful best of luck.

What do you use? The zico just came in today and I set the adjustment dial down to a little under the half way point to be safe.
Helloevo attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (2,022kb) downloaded 75 time(s).

BongWizard
#7 Posted : 7/6/2015 7:43:50 PM

Hyperspace Cowboy

I've never used a gvg personally, but given that it is made of 2.5mm boro, a butane flame (even a big one) shouldn't cause the glass to shock. What will cause shock fractures is rapid cooling from vaping temps.

That said, there's definitely a fracture there and once the glass has begun to fracture it becomes more susceptible to further fracturing through thermal shock.

If the crack isn't visible right through the glass, it's very possible that it could be sealed, but it's hard to say without holding it myself.
"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be a spirit of tolerance in the entire population." -Albert Einstein

I'm not a big fan of SWIM. I mean, I've never met the guy, but any time I hear about him, he's doing something sketchy.

Helloevo
#8 Posted : 7/8/2015 9:14:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

BongWizard wrote:
I've never used a gvg personally, but given that it is made of 2.5mm boro, a butane flame (even a big one) shouldn't cause the glass to shock. What will cause shock fractures is rapid cooling from vaping temps.

That said, there's definitely a fracture there and once the glass has begun to fracture it becomes more susceptible to further fracturing through thermal shock.

If the crack isn't visible right through the glass, it's very possible that it could be sealed, but it's hard to say without holding it myself.

Thanks for the info. Thankfully the replacement they sent is pretty close to perfect. The scumbag in me wanted to keep the cracked one and the pouch they sent it with even though they asked me to send it back, but of course I sent it back in the end. I actually got an email from them thanking me for sending it back and that it was a fracture, so I'm guessing people have taken the scummy route before and failed to send their imperfect bottoms back. I don't need that weighing on me lol