We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The fuzzy horizon of information in autonomous finite systems. Options

Koornut
#1 Posted : 7/2/2015 4:11:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In light of a recent request by fathomlessness for 'meatier' topics of discussion, I put forth this question to all members of the nexus.

Disclaimer.
I am by no means an authority on any subject, I have been deferring a BA in philosophy for 8 years now with no plans to finish.
My educational pursuits have always been painted by a stubborn 'I can do this myself' attitude-flavoured-frosting on the carrot cake of procrastination, and as you can probably tell I am reaping the fruits of my labours. The cherry-on-top has yet to present itself.

Lately I have been pondering the nature of autonomous finite systems (AFS), a sphorange-defined class of systems that have the ability to receive input, process information and provide an observable result with either autonomy, or the practical illusion of autonomy.
Basically, any system either soft, hard or wet that can compute information in its environment.
A good example of what is not included in this class of systems would arguably be Donald Trump.
But that is neither here nor there.

These finite systems share an attribute that is unequivocal. They are finite. Be it temporal or spatial. They are finite.
I have chosen to exclude Donald Trump based on personal belief, my observations conclude that he must be of an immortal alien species whose sole purpose is to rid the free world of Latin folk.

Now, the finite nature of AFS intuitively suggests a limited capacity for information processing, if in fact we live in a universe in which that lil' Ol' variable called time is true (evidence seems to support this).
This limiting function can be overcome beyond the individual level (with the exception of Donald Trump of course) by a wonderful process that, as it stands today, only human beings have discovered. External symbology.
The ability to scribe our everyday thoughts and experiences has enabled us to bypass the limiting factor of being born into the body of an AFS.
By writing it down, it lives as long as the medium it is written on can contain it. The end result of that process is a piece the original AFS poking through the horizon of information contained within the source.
Meanwhile, Old Donald Trump is still trumpeting on, ambivalent to the musings of us mere mortals.

I will now attempt to define the information horizon stated in the previous paragraph.
Within any AFS or group of AFS lies a finite amount of information. The horizon is the boundary. The limit. The edge. Where the objectively verifiable breaks down and information becomes un-computable.
I am certain this is the place where Donald pops his greasy head in every-now and then, but since it occurs on the fuzzy boundary it is itself un-computable.
But we still have that remarkable talent of being able to writing stuff down yes?
So now that dastardly devil Donald has the ability to infect the writings of AFS and groups of AFS well beyond the finite limits inherent in their nature.

Let's recap:
AFS are finite.
Donald Trump is infinite.
AFS can bypass their finite nature with symbology, but to do so requires a flirtation with the fuzzy boundaries where Donald Trump lives albeit ambivalent.
Donald Trump can infect the symbology of AFS that flirt with boundaries.
AFS can cooperate with other AFS to strengthen their flavour of symbology. Thus widening the informational boundary.

Now finally to the question. Thank-you for your patience.

Will the sum of all the information in all cooperating AFS be greater than the sum of Donald Trump?

Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Jin
#2 Posted : 7/2/2015 12:11:15 PM

yes

Sphorange wrote:

Will the sum of all the information in all cooperating AFS be greater than the sum of Donald Trump?

no

Donald Trump wins ,Twisted Evil
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

Koornut
#3 Posted : 7/2/2015 11:26:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jin wrote:
Sphorange wrote:

no

Donald Trump wins ,Twisted Evil

Would you say he 'trumps' the competition?Wut?
The simple PHYLLODE tek

Doc Buxin
#4 Posted : 7/3/2015 1:04:33 AM

Pay No Mind

Sphorange wrote:

Perhaps.

I think that the sum of all the information in all cooperating AFS's will eventually turn out to be greater, but maybe Donald Trump has an infinite number of tricks up his sleeve to render my guesstimate invalid?

Who knows?

Freedom's so hard
When we are all bound by laws
Etched in the scheme of nature's own hand
Unseen by all those who fail
In their pursuit of fate

Koornut
#5 Posted : 7/3/2015 4:28:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Doc Buxin wrote:
Sphorange wrote:

Perhaps.

I think that the sum of all the information in all cooperating AFS's will eventually turn out to be greater, but maybe Donald Trump has an infinite number of tricks up his sleeve to render my guesstimate invalid?

Who knows?

I agree doc Smile
While Wiley Ol' Donald is busy with his tricks, of which he likely has an infinite amount as you pointed out. The total sum of all AFS will most definately be greater than the sum of Donald Trump.
I think there is an elegant explaination for this.
To be finite is to contained, to be contained is to be measurable.
I'd like to ask old Don how he'd go about squeezing his infinity into a drinking glass. Better yet, how his immeasurable grab bag of tricks and wiles
Can 'measure' up against a veritable army of my lovely AFS.
The simple PHYLLODE tek