We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cleaning up jars Options

mob.socratic
#1 Posted : 6/25/2009 11:59:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I just read this post over at erowid. Maybe someone here could offer some suggestions...

This guy extracted 50g shredded MHRB ala Noman. NaOH and Naptha were used. He had three seperate collection jars and after a few pulls he got a little sloppy and some basic solution may have contaminated his pipette and found its way into the collection jars. After freeze precipitating and evaporating off any remaining Naptha, a yellow/orange reside remained.

So, this dude proceeded to use Bestine to clean up the jars and the oily residue they contained. Bestine was heated to 160 F, swirled in oily jars, and then transferred to a new clean jar to be freeze precip'd. This was done quickly so that only the spice would dissolve. A minimum amount of Bestine was used.

A second wash of Bestine was done on the remaining residue, heated to 160 F. This time a larger amount of Bestine was used. An attempt was made to get everything remaining in the collection jar to go into solution, with the hopes that oils and impurities would precipitate more quickly that the spice. With this in mind, this guy waited a few minutes and pulled the Bestine off the top, leaving behind any reside that fell out of solution. Once again, this second jar was also allowed to freeze precip.

Okay, okay, enough set up...

After all that hot Bestine washing there is still an oily reside left in the collection jars. It smelled strongly of spice. Wut?

Should this dude get some dried parsley and scrape/soak up the remaining residue, or would this be foolish knowing that he did bring over at least SOME amount of basic solution with his original Naptha pulls? This guy said he would prefer to only use good clean spice, he just doesn't want to waste any part of his hard work....

"waste not want not you dig?"

thanks for reading this long post, there are so many posts regarding yellow, oily resides that I could not properly narrow down my searches to get the info that was needed. sorry if this scenario has been hashed out a million times already. please pm me if you have any good search tips. thanks again. Wink

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SWIMfriend
#2 Posted : 6/26/2009 12:13:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As I've been reading more and learning from all the amazing information on this site (most recently about DMT-oxide by 69ron, and bestine ultra-purification recrystallizations--and separations of yellow oily stuff--from warrensaged)...I've come to the conclusion that the yellow oily stuff is DMT-oxide. It can and should be fairly easily separated from DMT during a bestine dissolution, and then de-oxidezed by Zinc, and reacquired as DMT-freebase.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 6/26/2009 3:40:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In SWIM's experience yellow oily stuff is usually more than one thing, and its formation can be related to many factors. There are also plant oils and other impurities which seem to mix up into this stuff..

To the OP... You were talking about 50g of mhrb.. What was the yield from the other two freeze precip? If its 500mg or more, then its already pretty good.. Even if there is still some spice in that goo, it will probably be a negligible amount. Its true that some of it might be dmt n-oxide (and some may be plant oils/inactive impurities), so the zinc oxide tek linked by SWIMfriend would work to retrieve it back. But SWIM wouldnt bother all the work for so little, he would rather do it in a bit bigger extraction to be worth the trouble.

But thats just SWIM, do as you please Smile

mob.socratic
#4 Posted : 6/26/2009 7:50:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you both very much.