We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mushroom Cultivation Questions Options

TheNtt
#1 Posted : 6/19/2009 10:31:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has heard that using too fine of vermiculite will not allow the mycelium to form inside the jar- because it is too condensed, not leaving enough room for it to grow.
Is that true?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

weissewolf
#2 Posted : 6/20/2009 5:00:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Swim thinks the only difference is moisture retention. Fine holds slightly more water then coarse. Just dont pack it tight and it will grow.
Swiy should look into using grains instead. Its way easier and better yeilds.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

idtravlr
#3 Posted : 6/20/2009 5:32:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

weissewolf wrote:
Swim thinks the only difference is moisture retention. Fine holds slightly more water then coarse. Just dont pack it tight and it will grow.
Swiy should look into using grains instead. Its way easier and better yeilds.

I concur. Very fine vermiculite is really easy to saturate and end up with too wet of a substrate. The coarser stuff is much easier to control moisture content.
Also - grain takes a little more care when working with it, but yeah, as weisswolf's SWIH stated, the yield is much better. Sometimes the simplicity of jaring up a few PF style cakes using vermiculite is a nice trade off however, if yield isn't of primary concern.

Good luck!
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

memo
#4 Posted : 6/20/2009 6:27:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The reason that vermiculite is hard to find these days is because 70% of the vermiculite available in North America came from Libby Montana which had asbestos occurring naturally in the same ore. Personally I used vermiculite a lot and it worked great but there are alternatives that have a much less chance of causing cancer down the road. Perlite so far has never been found with asbestos ,most likely because it is a volcanic glass and asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral and the two are rarely if ever found in the same deposits.
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.

#5 Posted : 6/20/2009 10:22:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

SWIM has grown brf when he started out. Probably acouple dozen times. Have always used fine verm, and only coarse acouple times. If you follow the directions exact for the verm/flour/water ratio you will have just enough moisture and not a wet sloppy substrate. Fine verm will colonize just as fast as coarse verm. Have never had any contams and colonization has always completed at the latest the 3 week mark.

TheNtt
#6 Posted : 6/21/2009 4:49:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the replies everyone- very helpful!

kungpow
#7 Posted : 6/25/2009 3:57:10 PM

Brandon

yeah you really need to stop using the old school BRF jar method. You just have to make the investment for a pressure cooker. After that I can produce a half pound dried mushrooms for about 50 bucks and that is only because I buy my hpoo instead of pasturize myself. I am so happy I have a local poo vendor now.

TheNtt
#8 Posted : 6/25/2009 6:17:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

kungpow wrote:
yeah you really need to stop using the old school BRF jar method. You just have to make the investment for a pressure cooker. After that I can produce a half pound dried mushrooms for about 50 bucks and that is only because I buy my hpoo instead of pasturize myself. I am so happy I have a local poo vendor now.

Your post is really confusing. The jar method SWIM uses involves a pressure cooker.

What is hpoo?

Pebble on the Beach
#9 Posted : 6/25/2009 6:46:40 PM

C r a c k B l i p T o o t T o o t ! ! !

TheNtt wrote:
What is hpoo?

My guess is (h)orse manure (poo)
"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
and
"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
Bertrand Russell

All things are possible, everything is permissable

weissewolf
#10 Posted : 6/25/2009 11:18:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

yeah he means horse manure. it one of the best manures for mushrooms. But earthworm castings work just as well and its cheaper (unless you got a 4 wheel drive vehicle and can drive onto farms and get it for free.)
And yes you do pressure cook your jars no matter what you use. he may have just had a slip of the toungue.

weissewolf
#11 Posted : 6/25/2009 11:20:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

you should buy some of paul stamets books. between him and myctopia you dont need much else.

benzyme
#12 Posted : 6/26/2009 12:22:35 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

or just find the torrents
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

weissewolf
#13 Posted : 6/26/2009 6:17:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

yeah if your busted but some people I like to support. and Paul is def one of them.

kungpow
#14 Posted : 6/26/2009 6:49:48 PM

Brandon

When I used to do BRF jars I would just boil them had no problems with contamination. I did not buy a pressure cooker until I started using grain for spawn. Once my grain is fully colonized I mix 4 of those in with about 10lbs of horse manure. Put that mixture in a 78qt tub with holes in the sides stuffed with polyfil. Let that colonize 5-10 days and you're ready to fruit. 2 weeks later you'll be looking at 3-8 ounces of dried mushrooms depending on your pinset. It is best to used an isolated strain grown on agar for your jars, but I do not have that available atm. So I just use multispore which usually provides in the lower range 3-6 ounces.

A quick search of the terms monotub or double tub on any of the mushroom cultivation forums will give you what you need to know.

Sorry that my first post up there was sort of confusing.