We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Molecular Gastronomy Equipment Options

Psybin
#1 Posted : 6/6/2015 4:22:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, as the title suggests, I've been pondering lately the idea of repurposing some of the equipment used in molecular gastronomy for extractions and other novel biochemical processes. For example, this caught my eye the other day, and I wonder if it would be suitable for pulls. Also, CO2 dispensers might be useful for separating NMT from DMT.

Also, could something like this be used for distillation? You could fill it with chacruna leaf and attach an output hose. It supposedly ejects 'cold smoke'.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Phlox
#2 Posted : 6/7/2015 8:03:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I used a coffee siphon for several years. I think it might be dangerous to use for extracting anything other than uniformly ground coffee.

If the filter becomes clogged, the pulldown can stall. If that happens, the pressure in the lower vessel will continue to drop and it can implode. With finely ground plant matter, it is more likely to clog. A lab vacuum filtration system is not much more than a coffee siphon, and much safer.

Granted, this LOOKS cool but there are better tools for the job.