We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Building Stonehenge - This Man can Move Anything Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 6/25/2009 8:25:15 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Wally Wallington has demonstrated that he can lift a Stonehenge-sized pillar weighing 22,000 lbs and moved a barn over 300 ft. What makes this so special is that he does it using only himself, gravity, and his incredible ingenuity.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SWIMfriend
#2 Posted : 6/25/2009 8:36:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As a kid I was born and raised in the New York City metropolitan area. When I was 14 my parents bought a farm in a rural area as a weekend home, and I got to know the old farmer who owned it very well. It was AMAZING all the tricks of common working methods that he knew (he was born in 1918 in that very rural area, and had farmed much of his life).

The tricks and simple tools that people develop over generations are totally amazing and unexpected by modern people....and those tricks are easily lost in a SINGLE GENERATION!

Good video. It's always good to be reminded of how much one person can do using ingenuity.

۩
#3 Posted : 6/25/2009 8:44:02 PM

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading about a team of researchers who redesigned Stonehenge on their computers to simulate the acoustics that were generated in that space and were pleasantly surprised with their findings.

The Traveler
#4 Posted : 6/25/2009 8:46:49 PM

"No, seriously"

When I watched this video it put a grin on my face.

A grin because I always have to smile when people tell me that in ancient times it was impossible to construct large buildings or such fine lines or blabla so it must have been something extraterrestrial. Those people treat our ancestors like they were some backwards lunatics with drooling faces.

b.t.w. I'm really curious about the old former and his tricks and simple tools, do you have some examples?

richierich_931
#5 Posted : 6/25/2009 9:07:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's too cool, amazing how simple it all is.
Why can't the supernatural just be, natural? After all, supernatural is just a term for aspects of nature that we do not understand...

Listen to your heart, it's telling you you're homesick for a place you've never been

SWIMfriend
#6 Posted : 6/25/2009 9:19:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
...b.t.w. I'm really curious about the old former and his tricks and simple tools, do you have some examples?

Actually one of the main things were all the clever ways of using leverage (as the man in the video) to be able to easily handle items that were larger than a single person would be expected to handle. Very often his work would involve logs/wood/axes/wedges, etc., and I learned from him how to manuever those sorts of things to easily do things I would have earlier thought impossible.

Another fascinating talent of his was working with work horses--and there were occasions when he could use his horses to free an automobile stuck in a ditch that would have been impossible or difficult to do with a truck or even a tractor.

He also knew the name of EVERY bird, animal, and plant around him (and which bird was singing which bird song, too). Coming from the city, that REALLY amazed me!

I wish I could think of some practical examaples--they seemed to come up EVERY DAY! Even down to such simple things as carrying heavy loads, the proper way to use a shovel to dig in the ground, etc. He taught me how to use a scythe, how to put a shoe on a horse....it was never-ending. He even taught me how to roll cigarettes, which I happily did for him!

On the other hand, it was ALSO interesting too hear the occasional FALLACY that he had stuck in his mind. He knew an AMAZING amount about animals and their habits...but he also had the strange idea that the opposum mated through its NOSE! I half believed him, because he was so certain about it, but even a schoolboy's education in biology suggested to me that a mammal would be VERY unlikely to have such an ENORMOUSLY different reproductive system. Years later I discovered that in fact opposums engage in a "mating ritual" that involves repeatedly touching noses--and that is no doubt where he got his idea.

Ah...this takes me back. I DO remember when I showed HIM something that HE didn't know (which probably most all adolescent boys of my age did know): I once bragged to him that I knew how to make gunpowder, if only he had sulfur and "salpeter" (potassium nitrate). Wasn't I surprised when he went into his root cellar and came up with a jar of yellow sulfur and one of salpeter! (the salpeter was used to make pickles, as I recall). I make a huge impression on him by taking some charcoal from his stove, grinding it together with some sulfur and salpeter, and making it flare when I lighted it! City boys know some things, too!

The Traveler
#7 Posted : 6/25/2009 9:29:54 PM

"No, seriously"

Lovely to read, you two must have been a great symbiosis of ideas. Very happy