We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Migrating DMT out of DCM Options

havok
#1 Posted : 4/2/2009 4:13:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has been iso alcohol extracting MHRB with a soxhlet and then doing A/B with muric acid / sodium carbonate. SWIM then extracts the basified mixture with DCM in a heavyer than water liquid / liquid extractor. Swim does not wish to go though the ong evap process, but rather migrate the dmt to another solvent that would be capable of freeze precipitation. Is this possible?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 4/2/2009 4:24:03 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

if this were possible, the dmt wouldn't freeze precipitate in the solvent because it would be more soluble in it than in dcm. the principle of freeze-precipitation is to get a solute to "crash out" (aggregate as crystals in solution), because it's not very soluble in the solvent.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

havok
#3 Posted : 4/2/2009 6:45:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Would it be possible to Add naptha to the dcm, Distill off the DCM and then freeze precip the naptha?

dimitrius_rexus
#4 Posted : 4/2/2009 9:17:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

if thats what you want to do, it may be easier to distill off the DCM first then dissolve solids in naptha for freeze precipitation.
All of my posts are fiction.

benzyme
#5 Posted : 4/2/2009 9:50:24 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

^^ exactly.

let the dcm evaporate, redissolve the residue in hot naptha, then collect and freeze precipitate
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

havok
#6 Posted : 4/8/2009 1:51:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The residue really seems to be sticking to the inside of the flask.. im heating the naptha right now but it sure is stuck on there..

what color is your saturated DCM typically? using the liquid/liquid extractor got mine all the way to brown..

dimitrius_rexus
#7 Posted : 4/8/2009 6:12:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

iunno, never used DCM. maybe try and redissolve what didnt in the naptha into more DCM and evap in a dish.

havok
#8 Posted : 4/8/2009 10:40:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh.. great. I'm getting advise on what to do from someone who's never done it. Thanks. Looks like this batch is screwed.

Does anyone else who knows from USING DCM, how to migrate it out other than evapping? Distilling off at 104 clearly results in an undissolveable tar.

dimitrius_rexus
#9 Posted : 4/9/2009 3:03:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

many apologies. i should have said upfront that I dont extract with DCM. though it should make sense that if there was DMT in the DCM, once evaporated there should be some in the solids which would then redissolve in naptha.

i dont know the solubility of the natural salts of DMT, im assuming DMT tannate, in isopropyl as you did as an initial extraction step. Did you freebase the bark before soxhleting in ISO? is DMT soluble in ISO in its natural form found in MHRB?

benzyme
#10 Posted : 4/9/2009 12:22:01 PM

analytical chemist

havok wrote:

Does anyone else who knows from USING DCM, how to migrate it out other than evapping? Distilling off at 104 clearly results in an undissolveable tar.

I assume that's fahrenheit

so now you're aware, dcm pulls other alkaloids as well as dmt. now you should dissolve the 'tar' in a small amount of hot bestine, and put it in the freezer. if your extraction went well, you'll find some very active off-white crystals by the next day.

worked for swim.

Phlux-
#11 Posted : 4/9/2009 1:41:55 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

does dcm pull anthing that is active that either tolulene and xylene dont ?
what is the diff between what is pulled with xylene and tolulene ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

dimitrius_rexus
#12 Posted : 4/9/2009 2:58:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

heres a list of xlogp's that i grabbed from one of 69ron's posts in: http://www.dmt-nexus.me/...261&f=14&q=46544
69ron wrote:
FYI, XLogP3 data of some interesting alkaloids:

Code:
LSD:               3.0
DMT:               2.5
Psilocin:          2.1
DMT N-Oxide:       2.0 
5-MeO-DMT:         1.5
LSA:               1.6
Dehydrobufotenine: 1.6 (XLogP3-AA, not XLogP3)
Bufotenine:        1.2
Mescaline:         0.7
Bufotenine N-Oxide:0.6
Psilocybin:       -1.6 (XLogP3-AA, not XLogP3)

here are xlogp of solvents and more alks from ron69: (check post 3)
http://www.dmt-nexus.me/....aspx?g=posts&t=1574

id guess that DCM pulls DMT freebase more readily b/c of its lower xlogp, this should work the same with more "jungle spice" being pulled also. More junk and additional mystery alks (the lists above are good but still limited, who knows fully whats in MHRB) may be pulled as well due to the lower xlogp possibly accounting for the brownness in your DCM pull.

a SWIM once told a friend of mine that xylene has yielded brownness of tan to caramel to coffee colored before that is quite active.

benzyme
#13 Posted : 4/9/2009 3:57:08 PM

analytical chemist

Phlux- wrote:
does dcm pull anthing that is active that either tolulene and xylene dont ?
what is the diff between what is pulled with xylene and tolulene ?

dcm is slightly more polar than both toluene and xylene (which don't differ very much). dcm is used to extract a wide variety of alkaloids, from mescaline to caffeine. it's a very versatile solvent.

to purify compounds, recrystallization is done.. or column chromatography then recrystallization.
column chromatography requires a binary solvent mixture, something like ethyl-acetate and methanol. for all practical purposes, using bestine to clean it up is tried and true; there are several threads on this

Faust
#14 Posted : 4/14/2009 1:28:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dimitrius_rexus wrote:
heres a list of xlogp's that i grabbed from one of 69ron's posts in: http://www.dmt-nexus.me/...261&f=14&q=46544
here are xlogp of solvents and more alks from ron69: (check post 3)
http://www.dmt-nexus.me/....aspx?g=posts&t=1574

id guess that DCM pulls DMT freebase more readily b/c of its lower xlogp, this should work the same with more "jungle spice" being pulled also. More junk and additional mystery alks
69ron wrote:
FYI, XLogP3 data of some interesting alkaloids:

Code:
LSD:               3.0
DMT:               2.5
Psilocin:          2.1
DMT N-Oxide:       2.0 
5-MeO-DMT:         1.5
LSA:               1.6
Dehydrobufotenine: 1.6 (XLogP3-AA, not XLogP3)
Bufotenine:        1.2
Mescaline:         0.7
Bufotenine N-Oxide:0.6
Psilocybin:       -1.6 (XLogP3-AA, not XLogP3)

...snip...

Hmm... so according to this list of solvent XLogP3 data, using a CLLE di-ethyl ether will make mostly n,n-DMT products and DMT-n,Oxide. With DCM and chloroform being more able to extract along with the n-oxide and n,n the jungle spice and more "mystery alks?" Sorry, does it show that I am confused?

Quote:
Here are some XlogP’s of various common solvents:

-0.7 - DMSO
-0.5 - Methanol
-0.1 - Ethyl Alcohol
0.2 - Acetone
0.4 - IPA
0.4 - MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)
0.7 - Ethyl Acetate
0.9 - Ethyl Ether
1.5 - DCM
2.1 - Chloroform

2.5 - Toluene
2.5 - Xylene
3.7 - Limonene
4.3 - Heptane (similar to naphtha)

lower ON THE LIST means more non-polar soluble, higher ON THE LIST means more water soluble. Lower XlogP values are more water soluble, and higher XlogP values are more non-polar soluble.

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Sir Isaac Newton

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

benzyme
#15 Posted : 4/14/2009 3:23:38 AM

analytical chemist

no, you're right

dmt will be more soluble in both dcm and chloroform than in ether...unfortunately, so will the other alkaloids

clamshavefeelingstoo
#16 Posted : 6/2/2009 10:51:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I wonder how many times SWIY defatted before using DCM on the basified solution.

Also, I'd like to know what people think about defatting (don't feel the need to make a whole new thread). If SWIM were to defat with DCM on an acidic h2o solution (including a small remnant of IPA from a soxhlet extraction) using a FBF and hotplate stirrer, how many pulls, what volume of NP, at what temperatures, etc.? After this mixing, the two layers would be separated in a separatory funnel.

benzyme
#17 Posted : 6/2/2009 2:14:38 PM

analytical chemist

never use dcm to defat
you will likely hurt your yields. save the dcm for extracting the free base.

instead use something with a higher xlogp like naptha for defatting. it's perfectly fine to use different solvents for different tasks.

swim doesn't do a defat with MHRB, not many people do. but when they do, its typically with naptha or xylene.

anynosuom
#18 Posted : 6/24/2009 10:41:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hai guys, this is SWIM's first post. He's just an amateur kitchen kemist that has been lurking these forums for quite a while now. Let SWIM point out upfront that he does not have any experience with DCM.

From what SWIM's been reading, it should be very possible to use DCM in the extraction stage using the CLLE (after proper defatting), after which one would distill the DCM until a small concentrated DMT-rich amount is left over, due to DCM's BP being lower than that of DMT.

Once SWIY reaches that stage, one would add another solvent, like cold acetone (or maybe Heptane). until the freshly added solvent starts to distill, one would let it evaporate.

SWIM's guess is, if left over with a lot of gunk, either the defatting didnt go optimal, or the destillation process was run for too long. e.g. dry-cooking (note the use of 'guess' xD)

SWIM thinks it was ron69 that pointed these techniques out, and has the most experience with this kind of thing, so maybe ask him for more detailed info.