We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Opinions on different strains Options

Spaced Out 2
#1 Posted : 3/28/2015 4:55:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For a while now I've been pondering the idea of raising shrooms. Now, given that I haven't done them in a long time due to time constraints and what little time I did have was used to do extractions, a recent 2g trip reinforced this idea.

Almost every time I have done mushrooms I did not have a clue what they were, nor did the person I got them from, I would just aquire them and put them to use.

Now my problem is in the last statement, trying to decide which one to grow.

I'm asking the community at large to their opinions on different mushrooms, their likes/dislikes, reasons and benefits (due to ratios of actives) and whatnot, ease of growing and anything else that is felt to be important.

I'm looking to start this in next 6 months so I have some time to make a decision on which ones to grow. In the meantime I greatly appreciate and eagerly await everyone's input on the matter so I can finally get an idea of what I want. Smile

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

joedirt
#2 Posted : 3/28/2015 11:16:42 AM

Not I

If it's your first time out of the gate I'd say stick to cubes.

But by far my favorite to date, have been the Panaeolus Cambodginiensis
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

ScientificMethod
#3 Posted : 3/28/2015 3:06:25 PM

The_Scientific_Method

Yeah. I've only worked with cubes, but I have never felt the need to expand beyond there except out of curiosity. I recommend finding some PES Hawaiian or Columbian Rust Spore. Those are my two favorites.
All of my posts are entirely fictional. I am a writer, and as a means to research the life of a fictional character that I'm writing about, I post on the Nexus to get into character. In real life I have no interest or interaction with mind-altering substances.

Felnik
#4 Posted : 3/28/2015 6:22:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've had good success with a z strain few years back . I always hedge my bets with a few different strains in a grow . I like Costa Rican , Amazon , Ecuador. Had difficulty growing with Asian Thai strains but could have been my own fault . Best of luck
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

anne halonium
#5 Posted : 3/28/2015 8:28:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

get several strains of cubes and see whats best for your conditions.

some strains of cubes seem more domesticated than others.
the longer standing more common strains may be best bets to start.
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

WEM
#6 Posted : 3/29/2015 2:24:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Only strain of cubes I've grown is Treasure Coast, pretty easy to grow with the PF tek, first flush is sometimes smaller but it explodes if you treat if right.
A dramatic shift approaches...

Bancopuma
#7 Posted : 3/29/2015 2:23:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My thoughts on the different mushroom species, along with those of others are summarised in this thread.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=31674

I'm not sure there is a great deal of difference between cubensis strains...I do think there is some...but that this is exceeded by the effects of set and setting on the experience. The bulk of my experience has been with the Ecuadorian strain, but I've sampled a fair few...this was a good, reliable fruiter though and I would definitely recommend it for beginner growers.

The difference in experience provided by the other species...Psilocybe semilanceata, P. cubensis, P. cyanescens and Pan cyans are all quite distinct from each other I've found and reliably so for each species between different experiences...they all seem to have their own experience signature, or personality of sorts.

My personal preference is definitely for Hawaiian Pan cyans for sure of those sampled thus far. Good to gain experience growing cubensis first, but once you have cracked growing those, you can grow Pans as well, they are just a little more fussy...worth it though I think. I would really like to sample some more Panaeolus species in the future...definitely looking into Panaeolus cambodginiensis now, thanks for the heads up Mr joedirt! Thumbs up

DansMaTete
#8 Posted : 3/29/2015 3:41:37 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

I'd like to experiment mushroom growing and i live in a tropical area with no air conditioning at home (it's part of my work to install air co and of course, i've none at home Very happy ).
So, which strain would be better for temperature between 25°C and 32°C... And easy for a beginner.
The goal is to end up a hiatus of 20 years with shrooms. Any advice is welcome Thumbs up
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Spaced Out 2
#9 Posted : 3/30/2015 1:26:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks everyone for the input Smile

Joedirt, I was looking at them, but I'll stick with everyone's advice and get the hang of cubes before moving on, but the high sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the link bancopuma, that was pretty much what I was looking for. Very happy

Spaced Out 2
#10 Posted : 4/10/2015 9:31:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Looking forward to getting my grow on. Spent the last week getting everything I needed, and room prepared and this weekend I will do my first inoculation of jars after the pressure cook and cool down steps.Big grin
Cubes to start with, few different ones to play with just to see which one does the best for my conditions, if all things go well. We will see!Smile

Adjhart
#11 Posted : 4/11/2015 4:18:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Spaced Out which grow method will you be using? PF tek?

Be sure to ask me if you have any questions: I'm quite proficient with that one by now. Thumbs up

Spaced Out 2
#12 Posted : 4/11/2015 5:53:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, PF tek using wbs. Then to a bulk substrate of pasteurized horse poo with a thin casing layer of coir and verm. I know the casing layer probably isn't needed but I'd atleast like to get the hang of it for experience sake. Also using mono tubs.

Thanks Adjhart, I feel confident I can do this, but I'm sure I'll have issues and questions as I get things going. I won't hesitate to askThumbs up

Spaced Out 2
#13 Posted : 5/23/2015 12:21:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Update on my first grows of cubes. Way easier than I thought. So far not one problem has came up. I did decide to start some P. Azurescens spawn to transfer outside on some wood chips. Not really worried if that fruits this year, as long as it's set up for next year. Anyway here are some pics...
Spaced Out 2 attached the following image(s):
20150504_074437.jpg (4,274kb) downloaded 182 time(s).
20150511_074227.jpg (3,971kb) downloaded 182 time(s).
20150522_074325.jpg (3,048kb) downloaded 182 time(s).
20150522_074517.jpg (5,626kb) downloaded 181 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#14 Posted : 5/23/2015 1:25:03 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Glad to see you've got the hang of it.

If you're trying azurescens, give P. ovoideocystidiata a go as well. They are Surprised Shocked Drool Big grin

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

nemesauce
#15 Posted : 5/23/2015 1:36:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's awesome Spaced Out! I'd love to try my hand at wood lovers.

Spaced Out 2
#16 Posted : 5/23/2015 1:52:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't say I have the hang of it just yet, it's my first mushroom grow. I just made sure to follow the "cleanliness rules", read, read and more reading. Video watching as well. I know cubes are supposed to be the easiest, so I started with them on the advice of others here in this thread.
Next is pan cyans. Then pan cambs. I know these are supposed to be a little trickier, but I'm always up for the challenge.

Thanks downwardsfromzero, I definitely can see this becoming a nice hobby. It was cool to watch every step from spawn to pins. I'm also getting everything ready to do some regular edibles that my family can enjoy too.
I will definitely look into the one's you've mentioned as well.

Spaced Out 2
#17 Posted : 5/23/2015 2:01:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nemesauce wrote:
That's awesome Spaced Out! I'd love to try my hand at wood lovers.

Give them a try. That's all I'm doing, first time at all things mushroom, except for eating them.

Ryusaki
#18 Posted : 5/23/2015 2:26:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I may have some kind of perception bias since the first shrooms i ever tried where Panaeolus cyanescens, but those where absolutly awesome.

Soft on the body, gentle on the mind, but brutally effective in prying your 3rd eye wide open.
Strongest OEV i've ever had on shrooms.

TGO
#19 Posted : 5/23/2015 11:04:26 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

I would have to say golden teachers, all the way.

Now, those were the first mushies I ever tried cultivating and it went very well. It has been a couple years now but I can't wait to get back up on that horse! Very happy

I was taught many things by that strain. Patience was the main one but boy, oh boy, was it well worth it in the end!

Much peace and good luck!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Spaced Out 2
#20 Posted : 5/24/2015 12:53:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm going to try all the one's I can. But for now just the cubes to start out with.
I have treasure coast, pan. cyans, p. Azurescens, penis envy (a freebie). Pan cambs will be after them. I want to make some prints of these others first. Then I'll get in to isolation techniques.
Golden teachers, and mexican strains are on my list of one's to do, along with liberty caps.
just have to see how it goes.

12NEXT