We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bringing music to an Ayahuasca ceremony/drinking with strangers Options

12:48
#1 Posted : 5/22/2015 12:29:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello allSmile

I went to an Aya ceremony last year which had no music or anything. I felt irritated because the guy next to me was laughing hysterically and growling! and people were making jokes and having (not so) private conversations across the room. I found it really hard to get into it and had no visions.

The previous year I had ceremony in a group twice the size with loud music (but nice and appropriate) which drowned out all but the loudest (occasional) sobbing and moaning and conversation........and I had a really beautiful experience.

So, I was just wondering about taking my own music to the next ceremony and putting in my earphones. Do you think other people would find this offensive and could anyone recommend a download of a few hours of good Ayahuasca music?

I also feel that music tends to bring on the visions more (I may be wrong). Sometimes I feel that certain people play to the crowd and try to dominate proceedings by showing off and I would rather not have to listen to or experience that again. Of course there is always purging and groaning and I don't mind these natural sounds which are part of the experience.

Many thanks in advance for any adviceSmile

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

3rdI
#2 Posted : 5/22/2015 12:46:20 PM

veni, vidi, spici

why not just drink on your own?

your descriptions of those ceremonies make them sound like a farce to me, id stay well clear and stride out on your own, you will get much more done.

to answer your question, if they're gonna talk then screw what they think and put your headphones in.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

#3 Posted : 5/22/2015 12:58:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, 3rdI, it did seem a bit farcical to me at the time but what could I do?! I hope to drink on my own in future but right now I share a house with another couple who don't have a clue about entheogens and who would probably think it was witchcraft if I tried to explainLaughing

3rdI
#4 Posted : 5/22/2015 1:46:06 PM

veni, vidi, spici

if its warm enough where you live could you find a secluded spot and drink outside?

12:48 wrote:
I hope to drink on my own in future but right now I share a house with another couple who don't have a clue about entheogens and who would probably think it was witchcraft if I tried to explainLaughing

it isTwisted Evil
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

#5 Posted : 5/22/2015 2:33:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I hope to drink on my own in future but right now I share a house with another couple who don't have a clue about entheogens and who would probably think it was witchcraft if I tried to explainLaughing

it isTwisted Evil
[/quote]

A good kind of witchcraft thoughBig grin

3rdI
#6 Posted : 5/22/2015 3:41:47 PM

veni, vidi, spici

INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

travsha
#7 Posted : 5/22/2015 4:34:21 PM

Share Love ~

Those sound like really weird ceremonies.... I wouldnt drink in that environment personally. I would only drink either on my own or in a small group with an experienced shaman. If they arent singing icaros then they shouldnt be leading a ceremony in my opinion, and I personally am not interested in large group ceremonies. If I didnt have a good ceremony leader available I would rather drink on my own then in a group that doesnt know what its doing.

For me the best experience is with mostly silence and then a few live songs at the appropriate times. Whenever I drank in groups people understood that it was a silent ceremony unless they just need to cry or puke - in which case you gotta do what you gotta do. Only sounds are usually the shaman singing.... At the very least it can be good to have a dialogue about what type of ceremony everyone wants to create - sounds like there isnt really a vision for the group as a whole (though maybe I just dont know enough about the group specifically).

I think you would be better off drinking on your own. If you arent totally into the group you drink with and the format of their ceremonies then it is the wrong group for you! Or at least find a more reasonable group to drink with...

AcaciaConfusedYah
#8 Posted : 5/22/2015 5:49:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

In my opinion: do your thing. If other people are offended that you are NOT doing it just like then, then it seems that they may have more work to do on their own self.

When tripping with a friend, I have no shame saying, "I'm going to listen to my headphones for 15 mins or so." Because, he or she may not like the same type of music as me, and I don't want to subject them to anything that would interfere with their trip. And it would be rude of them to deny me the activity of something which I find enhances my experience.
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

#9 Posted : 5/22/2015 6:00:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

AcaciaConfusedYah wrote:
In my opinion: do your thing. If other people are offended that you are NOT doing it just like then, then it seems that they may have more work to do on their own self.

When tripping with a friend, I have no shame saying, "I'm going to listen to my headphones for 15 mins or so." Because, he or she may not like the same type of music as me, and I don't want to subject them to anything that would interfere with their trip. And it would be rude of them to deny me the activity of something which I find enhances my experience.

Thumbs up

cosmictaylor
#10 Posted : 5/22/2015 6:14:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bring a guitar or drum or something. if its sort of the same people you are sitting with each time then maybe you can get something going where every one can take a turn to express them self/play music while at the same time everybody else pays respect and listens.. just an idea

#11 Posted : 5/22/2015 10:14:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your input guys-they make a lot of sense to me and I agree with your opinions. I will see how the next ceremony goes but I will also speak to the person who organizes the ceremonies before I go next time about it. I think he/she is a reasonable person and will take into consideration my views.

The thing is that I see these ceremonies as sacred but some people seem to take it as if it was just another trip. Could also be that it was just the one guy that set everything off and hopefully next time will be a more "serious" group.

It would be more expensive to do it with a shaman but it would be worth it if things are done correctly. I will prepare myself for solo ceremonies in future though after more research into brewing and protecting myself and the spaceThumbs up

Cognitive Heart
#12 Posted : 5/22/2015 11:44:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know exactly what you mean by others not on the same level as you so to speak. And that's okay. Just a thought, and I think this may have already been covered, but maybe a whole new group all together would help manage your experiences. Or even alone just with your own self, spirit, and your music or otherwise instruments as your shamans. The benefit with one other individual or shaman is also good, too. That can bring along the idea of having chanting or the like for the experience. From what I've read that can be quite soothing and protecting.

I wish you well. Smile Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

#13 Posted : 5/23/2015 10:27:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cognitive Heart wrote:
I know exactly what you mean by others not on the same level as you so to speak. And that's okay. Just a thought, and I think this may have already been covered, but maybe a whole new group all together would help manage your experiences. Or even alone just with your own self, spirit, and your music or otherwise instruments as your shamans. The benefit with one other individual or shaman is also good, too. That can bring along the idea of having chanting or the like for the experience. From what I've read that can be quite soothing and protecting.

I wish you well. Smile Thumbs up

Thanks Cognitive Heart, I think the general consensus is that I either do it with a shaman or on my own. I want to go into this next ceremony with a positive attitude and, if this next group are people with similar views to myself and everything goes well, then I will consider drinking with them again. Otherwise, it will definitely be the last time I drink with strangers. I will also bring along my own Aya music so if I need to shut out any silliness then I will just put in my headphones.

The other thing I thought about is that some people can come into ceremony with some serious mental issues and this can also be magnified or brought out by Ayahusca. So, again, it can be risky drinking with strangers. I can feel some solo journeying calling me in futureBig grin

Chan
#14 Posted : 5/23/2015 10:32:03 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

The other thing I thought about is that some people can come into ceremony with some serious mental issues and this can also be magnified or brought out by Ayahusca. So, again, it can be risky drinking with strangers. I can feel some solo journeying calling me in futureBig grin

The group is only as strong as its weakest member...
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

#15 Posted : 5/23/2015 10:45:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Man From Chan Chan wrote:

The group is only as strong as its weakest member...

So true...it's such a delicate space and even one person misbehaving can upset the balance and set the tone for the entire evening.

TheAwakening
#16 Posted : 5/24/2015 1:05:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Music is a very important thing in ceremonial spaces imo. In the country I'm from I know of quite a few people who 'hold the medicine' for groups but only one of which I would actually sit with because they have a very high standard of what is acceptable and I'm somewhat aware of the work they've done themselves. Silence can be a very powerful thing but I feel that it is even more powerful when in contrast to beautiful music/mantra chanting. It's like not being able to tell the forest from the trees if you've only got sound or only got silence but when you've got a good balance of both...woahhh powerful Big grin

It is mainly the live music that facilitates the experience that I sit in this particular group for, also the community/kinship that it brings about but they definitely know how to hold the medicine. I've learned a lot from them that I incorporate into my own drinking alone practices. If you cannot find a facilitator/facilitators who inspires you then stick to drinking by yourself. If this seems a little intimidating then have no shame in headphones, like others have said if someone has a problem with it then that is their story.

A.

#17 Posted : 5/24/2015 8:35:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TheAwakening wrote:
Music is a very important thing in ceremonial spaces imo. In the country I'm from I know of quite a few people who 'hold the medicine' for groups but only one of which I would actually sit with because they have a very high standard of what is acceptable and I'm somewhat aware of the work they've done themselves. Silence can be a very powerful thing but I feel that it is even more powerful when in contrast to beautiful music/mantra chanting. It's like not being able to tell the forest from the trees if you've only got sound or only got silence but when you've got a good balance of both...woahhh powerful Big grin

It is mainly the live music that facilitates the experience that I sit in this particular group for, also the community/kinship that it brings about but they definitely know how to hold the medicine. I've learned a lot from them that I incorporate into my own drinking alone practices. If you cannot find a facilitator/facilitators who inspires you then stick to drinking by yourself. If this seems a little intimidating then have no shame in headphones, like others have said if someone has a problem with it then that is their story.

A.

My first ceremonies were in Peru with a curandera who sang icaros and used a shapaca and they were the most powerful. It was in the silences that I received many insights and the lady knew exactly when to sing or shake the shapaca, and when to be silent. Hopefully I will find someone who is skilled in these practices or someone experienced that I feel comfortable drinking with. As you mentioned in your post, someone who "inspires" me and has "a very high standard."

Metanoia
#18 Posted : 5/24/2015 10:36:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

...would probably think it was witchcraft if I tried to explainLaughing

This actually happened to me once Laughing

AcaciaConfusedYah wrote:

Also have to give my Thumbs up to this.