We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Local (possibly Phalaris) Grass Identification Options

Strigiform
#1 Posted : 5/21/2015 4:56:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have noticed a lot of grasses popping up that look similar to Phalaris grasses discussed elsewhere on this forum. I have picked out three samples of grasses that might be active, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to identify them, since I know very little about grasses.

Each pair of images is associated with a sample. I have tried to take a picture of the top of the plant as well as the stem. The first two samples have a translucent ligule, which I understand to be a feature of Phalaris Arundinacea.

Any input is deeply appreciated!

Strigiform attached the following image(s):
top1.jpg (225kb) downloaded 158 time(s).
stem1.jpg (115kb) downloaded 156 time(s).
top2.jpg (236kb) downloaded 157 time(s).
stem2.jpg (486kb) downloaded 156 time(s).
top3.jpg (310kb) downloaded 156 time(s).
stem3.jpg (245kb) downloaded 156 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 5/21/2015 7:33:02 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I can say for sure sample 3 is a not a Phalaris.

I'm fairly certain samples 1 and 2 are not either (at least not any of the moar common ones) though I'm not super familiar with the strains that have that type of seed head, so I'd wait for somene with more experience to come along and verify before completely discounting them.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Chimp Z
#3 Posted : 5/21/2015 10:14:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

None of your grasses are any species in the genus Phalaris.
None of your grasses are known to contain entheogenic tryptamines.
Great quality pictures. Appreciate your interest.
Sample 2 is "Orchard Grass" Dactylis Glomerata.

Cognitive Heart
#4 Posted : 5/21/2015 2:23:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fresh phalaris grass tends to usually have a lighter green color with a thinner / fragile body. Although this depends on which specific phalaris strain you are looking for. Working with wild grass is a dangerous game, also. Growing phalaris strains with known DMT contents is a good direction to begin with.

Other than that the interest is a good start. Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

jamie
#5 Posted : 5/21/2015 2:25:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

why is working with wild grass dangerous? I don't know of anything dangerous contained in wild phalaris species..
Long live the unwoke.

Cognitive Heart
#6 Posted : 5/21/2015 2:29:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I didn't mean to puncture gramine or hordenine, as they are not dangerous by any means. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wild grass will tend to suck up everything within its natural range, no? So for example other similar potentially toxic plants within the poaceae family that grow near to it.. such as phragmites.

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

jamie
#7 Posted : 5/21/2015 2:37:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

hmmmm..I don't think so.
Long live the unwoke.

Cognitive Heart
#8 Posted : 5/21/2015 5:50:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraction techniques, reagents and marquis are clearly are of great aid for any wild grass.

Strigiform
#9 Posted : 5/21/2015 6:36:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chimp Z wrote:
None of your grasses are any species in the genus Phalaris.
None of your grasses are known to contain entheogenic tryptamines.
Great quality pictures. Appreciate your interest.
Sample 2 is "Orchard Grass" Dactylis Glomerata.

Thank you for your input. I just kept seeing these grasses every day and I kept wondering if they were maybe active. Looking over BONAP, the only active phalaris in my area that is known to grow here is Phalaris Arundinacea, so I was on the lookout for a translucent ligule as seen in the first two samples.

A lot of these grasses look pretty similar. What advice would you give to an amateur botanist trying to idnentify P. Arundinacea from a variety of somewhat-similar looking grasses?

Chimp Z
#10 Posted : 5/21/2015 7:16:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Right now the P. Arundinacea should be in full anthesis depending on your location.
I will not attempt to break down identification in easy terms. Sterile florets beneath. Fertile above.
Wait til P. Arundinacea goes to seed. Then you'll know which one it is. After it goes to seed, that means tryptamine season is approaching. Also, P. Arundinacea should be about the tallest reed-grass depending on the ecological vicinity you reside in. If in a semi-arid location, P. Arundinacea will likely be amidst riparian Willow communities dreaming along stream banks. In a more cool-zone climate you will find it at the heads of forests, ditches, sloughs, marshes and beaches. Check the Phalaris Identification thread where I have posted P. Arundinacea inflorescence in full anthesis.
Check out a Wetland Guide from your local library and P. Arundinacea should be in there.
May the force always be with you
Smile

Strigiform
#11 Posted : 5/22/2015 10:40:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you ChimpZ! There's so much to what I always thought was a very boring and simple plant family (reed grasses). To the books I go. Very happy