We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Tried extracting harmalas from caapi vine but went wrong somewhere, is it salvageable? Options

Helloevo
#1 Posted : 5/22/2015 6:15:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This is my first post here, hello to everyone. Yesterday I tried to do a caapi vine extract but I got nothing but black solution that smells like mimosa sludge. to extract harmalas from caapi vine but I've run I to a problem. So far I did the 3 separate 30 min acid boils and I reduced from around 800ml to about 350ml, here's where I think I messed up, I didn't wait for it to cool before adding the basic solution. I mixed and mixed but no alkaloids have appeared whatsoever. The soution is also not brown like in the pics but dark purple just like mimosa sludge. What do I do now? I even added more lye too but nothing happened.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 5/22/2015 6:27:18 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I'd probably try diluting the solution with moar water and see if that makes a difference. If not I'd suggest evapping it all up, dissolving the resultant gunk in a good amount of acidic water, filtering, and re-basing.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Helloevo
#3 Posted : 5/22/2015 6:39:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
I'd probably try diluting the solution with moar water and see if that makes a difference. If not I'd suggest evapping it all up, dissolving the resultant gunk in a good amount of acidic water, filtering, and re-basing.

I will try that, thank you. By filtering do you mean running through a strainer?

Helloevo
#4 Posted : 5/23/2015 9:18:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I tried another extraction with whatever vine I had leftover, also reused some, but I followed the tek exactly. I'm at the exact same spot but something doesn't quite look right again. There's definitely something settling but it isn't as light as in gibs pic, not even close. I took a pic but I'm not sure if it shows the color of the stuff on the bottom...is this mainly plant matter or are there alkaloids in there?
Helloevo attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (590kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
image.jpg (640kb) downloaded 63 time(s).

Firemetal420
#5 Posted : 5/23/2015 4:16:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks the same as mine when I tried to extract alicia anisopetala vine.... did the vine have a grey look to it or was it brown to begin with?
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever

Helloevo
#6 Posted : 5/23/2015 4:22:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Firemetal420 wrote:
Looks the same as mine when I tried to extract alicia anisopetala vine.... did the vine have a grey look to it or was it brown to begin with?

It was brown, almost red as I ordered red caapi. Man I was sure there had to be some alks in there what a bummer. When I look at the first attempted extraction, em which I put in a jar, I can see the thinnest layer of what appears to be a tan colored layer similar to that in gibs tek, but it's really thin. I'm not sure if it's what I hope it is though.
Helloevo attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (2,051kb) downloaded 47 time(s).

Firemetal420
#7 Posted : 5/23/2015 5:19:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Personally I would probably just follow through with the extraction and see what the finished product looks like but In my limited experience (6 caapi extractions), that color doesn't look correct for harmalas from caapi. Your last picture looks sort of brownish tho, how long has it been left to settle? I have had solutions take up to a week undisturbed to settle completely.
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever

Helloevo
#8 Posted : 5/23/2015 5:44:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Firemetal420 wrote:
Personally I would probably just follow through with the extraction and see what the finished product looks like but In my limited experience (6 caapi extractions), that color doesn't look correct for harmalas from caapi. Your last picture looks sort of brownish tho, how long has it been left to settle? I have had solutions take up to a week undisturbed to settle completely.

The last picture is from the first attempt and the only part that gives me up is actually under the brown gunk, it looks like tan and it's a very very thin layer. That first attempt has been sitting for almost two full days. I added more base then diluted it with water and left it alone. The second attempt which is in the Pyrex measuring glass has been sitting for about 12 or so hours. I'm officially out of caapi. I spent forever trying to find a legit source and I guess I made the wrong choice so I'm gonna go back on the hunt for that. The vine looked exactly like caapi looks so it doesn't make much sense.