We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
ZnO > Zn How to convert? Options

olderROM
#1 Posted : 6/19/2009 3:16:42 PM

Alfred

Correct me if I am wrong... but I was wanting to convert ZnO(Zinc Oxide) to elemental Zn. I can do this by using a strong acid such as HCl correct? And then letting it evaporate?
All of the posts made are hypothetical and for educatiunal/entertainmint purposes only. SWIM (a fictional chaaracter) and his activities are completely fictional.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

olderROM
#2 Posted : 6/19/2009 9:51:49 PM

Alfred

ZnO + 2HCl should give me ZnCl2 +H20.......... so that wont work
ugh
All of the posts made are hypothetical and for educatiunal/entertainmint purposes only. SWIM (a fictional chaaracter) and his activities are completely fictional.

olderROM
#3 Posted : 6/19/2009 9:53:29 PM

Alfred

I think I need to somehow get some elemental hydrogen... =P that sounds daangerous and outside of my capabilities.

SWIMfriend
#4 Posted : 6/19/2009 9:58:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Certainly, there has to be a way. Possibly extreme high heat to turn it back into the metal. Maybe with the assistance of electrical arcing or similar--that's how they do aluminium.

Thing is, it's no doubt cheaper just to buy pure Zn powder...

69ron
#5 Posted : 6/19/2009 10:05:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme high heat does it. You're not going to be able to do it at home.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

olderROM
#6 Posted : 6/19/2009 10:06:34 PM

Alfred

Yeah, I was thinking heat as well... but I don't know what kind of heat that would require. I accidentally bought ZnO instead of Zn. I just got some Zn........ another week wait though.

SWIMfriend
#7 Posted : 6/19/2009 10:08:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

olderROM wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking heat as well... but I don't know what kind of heat that would require. I accidentally bought ZnO instead of Zn. I just got some Zn........ another week wait though.

melting point of zinc is 420C, so you'd want to keep it under that or else you end up with a lump of metal!

I'd just wait for your straight zinc powder...

kemist
#8 Posted : 6/21/2009 7:28:38 PM

John

ROFL Laughing Guys You are sooo FUNNY hahahahaha Laughing

Heating ZnO hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha you will add to Global warming a LOT , lol

Is a bit about heating actually, but in more sophisticated way
Elemental Zinc (Zn) is commonly get via reduction with Carbon (coke) in very high Furnace (simmilar as one used for producing steel)
ZnO + C -> Zn + CO

This is a funny one cos reduction doesn`t run bellow boiling point of Zinc.Also if vapour of zinc get a bit colder reaction with CO2(which is produced by burning carbon)creates ZnO and CO and you are back at the beginning, lol

So the vapours are led away cooled down a bit and dissolved in rain of liquid lead which makes amalgame and protect zinc to oxidise back to ZnO. one can get 99% Zn from this which could be vacuum distilled to obtain 99.99% Zn

Or, convert oxide to sulphate first
ZnO + H2SO4 -> ZnSO4 + H2O
then reduce using electrolysis
Zn2+ + 2e- -> Zn0

One can get Zn 99.95% via electrolysis and maybe it could be possible make it home. don`t know details though. Only know that on the Aluminium cathode zinc will be created.
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

69ron
#9 Posted : 6/21/2009 7:47:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yea. It’s pretty much impossible to do at home. Just forget about it.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.