We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Visual Flanging Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 5/3/2015 12:38:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've noticed that the phenomena of 'flanging' (a perception that the world is breaking down into individual 'frames', like the frame rate of reality has slowed), seems to appear under the influence of a wide variety of drugs.

I've gotten flanging effects on DXM and cannabis, and my friend claims he's gotten it on high doses of psilocybin. I've read reports of it from people on other drugs as well, including PCP and LSD.

Do people know what I'm talking about? I'm really curious as to why drugs that have such different mechanisms of action (NMDAR antagonist, CBR agonist, 5-HTR agonist) would all create such a similar effect at high doses.

Two theories I've heard:

The time between each 'frame' correspond roughly the amount of time it takes to move a memory for short term to long term storage.

Or, that consciousness itself somehow has a frame rate that drugs slow.

Thoughts?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Tryptallmine
#2 Posted : 5/3/2015 12:52:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
I've noticed that the phenomena of 'flanging' (a perception that the world is breaking down into individual 'frames', like the frame rate of reality has slowed), seems to appear under the influence of a wide variety of drugs.

I've gotten flanging effects on DXM and cannabis, and my friend claims he's gotten it on high doses of psilocybin. I've read reports of it from people on other drugs as well, including PCP and LSD.

Do people know what I'm talking about? I'm really curious as to why drugs that have such different mechanisms of action (NMDAR antagonist, CBR agonist, 5-HTR agonist) would all create such a similar effect at high doses.

Two theories I've heard:

The time between each 'frame' correspond roughly the amount of time it takes to move a memory for short term to long term storage.

Or, that consciousness itself somehow has a frame rate that drugs slow.

Thoughts?

Blessings
~ND

I think I'm on the same page as you...maybe not.. I felt this was fairly dominant in the heavier of the DMT experiences I went on yesterday, very blissful.

As I was focusing on what was being shown to me and I started seeing 'between' frames of vision and subsequently splitting those frames laterally.

Then it was like something intended "watch this" and then it split 3 perfectly geometric frames. In my mind I thought "go back!" and it divided by half. The content of the frames very raw like all my filters for normal perception couldn't process the images - but thats not what It was about confusingly.

The way in which I percived it in a logical sense is more in line with your second point.
- that consciousness itself somehow has a frame rate that drugs slow.

Koornut
#3 Posted : 5/3/2015 1:26:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Blessings
~ND

Maybe the information is being shared with more of the whole.
Like an email sent from the CEO to what she thinks is relevant to only one or two employees, but actually sends it to the entire company.
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

Global
#4 Posted : 5/3/2015 4:11:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

When I first started smoking cannabis, I smoked too much on one occasion and my vision was strobing in ways you describe.

I've noticed strobing on DMT in instances where I've found myself "outside" the loop. Some unfortunate distraction like a dog barking, phone ringing, door slamming, etc...can toss my experience off track so that I can still see the visuals, but they're no longer happening "to me." It does not bring much satisfaction other than the intellectual opportunity it offers to see hyperspace from the vantage point of an outsider. What typically appear to be smoothly continuous loops or even "linear" experiences can reveal themselves to be running on a metronomic clock. If I remember correctly, the metronome isn't quite so steady but rather follows the irregular beat patterns of hyperspacial code.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Praxis.
#5 Posted : 5/3/2015 4:55:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive gotten this effect from alcohol and cannabis a handful of times. It usually doesn't last super long, and during that period I feel remarkably lucid yet physically dissociated.

I have also had this happen with DMT

Its a pretty interesting effect that I'd like to know more about
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Nathanial.Dread
#6 Posted : 5/4/2015 5:08:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Praxis. wrote:

Its a pretty interesting effect that I'd like to know more about

It's sort of a hard question to ask in institutional settings though, which is frustrating. I can't really walk up to one of my teachers and say: "hey, so there's this weird cognitive phenomena I've noticed whenever I, or someone else, takes a bunch of drugs. Let's explore that."

It's a totally valid and legitimate question, but anti-drug bias runs deep, even in more left-wing academic circles. The response I've usually gotten, the few times I've tried is: "well of course, you were tripping balls, no wonder you saw weird stuff."

No engagement with the deeper question.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

LysergicBliss
#7 Posted : 5/7/2015 9:03:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I get that effect sometimes on higher doses of LSD and Psilocybin, where it looks like I'm seeing things in frames that are skipping or slowed down. Usually it's more pronounced the longer I stare at something.

The explanation I've come up with is it's because those drugs increase fast involuntary eye movements (see attached paper), and compounded by the drug's increased "after image" effect where whatever you look at stays imprinted on your vision for a while.

So your eyes are skipping around like crazy and can't stay focused on a fixed point, but the afterimages are sort of dragging around with your eye movements making things appear discontinuous. That's my guess for what might be happening.

I've never had it on alcohol or cannabis, but it's interesting that alcohol is another one mentioned in the paper.

Or maybe it's just reality ripping at the seams Smile