We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Contradictions in black seed oil research? Options

SpartanII
#1 Posted : 4/25/2015 2:13:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So I've been taking black seed oil (nigella sativa) at a dosage of 1-2 teaspoons per day for 2 years for its numerous and well-researched health benefits. Once in a while I'll check to see if there's any new research being done on it and I came across some apparently contradicting information and was hoping someone could clear it up for me. Now, admittedly I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to science and biology, so please forgive my ignorance if this is actually not contradictory and I'm just not understanding it correctly.

Most of the research that I've seen seems to indicate that one of the main compounds in the oil, thymoquinone, is a bronchodilator, thus explaining it's beneficial effects on asthma:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC3642442/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC2702918/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15949945
http://jpma.org.pk/full_...text.php?article_id=2562

However, I came across this article that apparently contradicts these findings:

Quote:
2.8.2. Effect on the Respiratory System
Influenced by the folklore claim that the black seed can treat asthma, Mahfouz and his collaborators investigated the effect of the volatile oil in guinea pigs and dogs. The results revealed that (i.m) or (i.p) injection of the volatile oil in doses of 200 μl/kg antagonized histamine-induced bronchoconstriction and induced bronchodilation [61,63]. However, the oil was found to be ineffective in blocking histamine H1receptors in the trachea both in vitro [63] and in vivo [64]. To clarify the effect of the volatile oil on the respiratory system and to elucidate its mechanism of action, El Tahir et al [65] performed several experiments in guinea-pigs. The results revealed that intravenous administration of the oil in doses of 4–32 μl/kg induced dosedependent increases in the respiratory rate and increased the intra-tracheal pressure pointing to a strong evidence of bronchoconstriction [65]. The oil did not contract the isolated trachea. With the help of various receptor blockers, mast cell stabilizers and amine depletors, the authors concluded that the volatile oil-induced bronchoconstriction and tachypnea were due to the release of histamine from pulmonary non-tracheal mast cells and circulating basophils with the consequent activation of the H1receptors located on the pulmonary irritant receptors and the pulmonary C sensory afferent nerves resulting in activation of the afferent sensory vagal nerves reaching the vagal nuclei in the brain stem. The final effect will be the activation of the efferent vagal activity to the pulmonary system [65].

http://www.sciencedirect...le/pii/S1658361206700038

So is thymoquinone a bronchodilator, or a bronchoconstrictor?

The other piece of (apparently) contradictory information concerns black seed oil's positive effects on the immune system:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC3642442/ (see 5.8. Immunomodulatory activity)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19059494

So, the above two articles seem to show black seed oil's positive effects on the immune system, yet, the following one apparently says otherwise:

Quote:
2.8.9. Effect on the Immune System
Treatment of typhoid-antigen-challenged rat with the volatile oil revealed an immunosuppressant action as evidenced by the significant decreases in the antibody titer and the splenocytes and neutrophils counts.

http://www.sciencedirect...le/pii/S1658361206700038

So if black seed oil has immunosuppressant action, how can it be so beneficial to the immune system?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Cognitive Heart
#2 Posted : 4/25/2015 2:38:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SpartanII wrote:
So if black seed oil has immunosuppressant action, how can it be so beneficial to the immune system?

Thymoquinone and its constitutes work by balancing both suppressed or over-stimulated immunities.. it helps restore homeostasis thereby enhancing, improving and protecting immune density T-cells.. or otherwise lymphocytes. A well run immune system can improve many other organs and systems, too!

I've utilized this medicine for some years as well and do find it rather pleasant and potently medicinal.. although breaks are good from it as well. I feel nigella sativa attunes a fundamental aspect of well-being and holistic strength when using the crushed seed powder and pure honey.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

SpartanII
#3 Posted : 4/25/2015 4:59:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah, I see.

What about the first contradiction about tymoquinone being a bronchodilator or bronchoconstrictor?

Cognitive Heart
#4 Posted : 4/25/2015 3:07:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Of all the literature I've read on black seed, I've yet to come across any discoveries or information about any vasoconstriction.. however, I do know for a fact thymoquinone is a bronchodialator and improves breathing, lung function etc.. it does indeed carry a lot more vasodialation ime. Black seed is a medicine. As a modulator of many different functions; in which one can take if overwhelming or dangerous vasoconstriction occurs from other substances such as psychedelics. I've read that nigella has properties in its ability to improve brain function (particularly memory and attention).. not to mention energy homeostasis improvement as well as reduction or improvement in BP.

Whether black seed and its molecular components suppress or enhance immunity, it still has modulating factors being exercised simultaneously. It's all based on the organisms needs.

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

SpartanII
#5 Posted : 4/25/2015 10:44:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cognitive Heart wrote:
Of all the literature I've read on black seed, I've yet to come across any discoveries or information about any vasoconstriction

Didn't you read the first quote I posted from science direct?

Cognitive Heart
#6 Posted : 4/25/2015 11:25:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, science direct used guinea pigs and dogs.. the effect with humans might be different.

Quote:
2.8.9. Effect on the Immune System
Treatment of typhoid-antigen-challenged rat with the volatile oil revealed an immunosuppressant action as evidenced by the significant decreases in the antibody titer and the splenocytes and neutrophils counts.

To me this seems like the action nigella takes to suppressing typhoid-antigen. What happens if nigella is given to individuals with pancreatic cancer? Whole different role of effects. Given nigellas adaptogenic properties, different strategies are taken with each particular disease due to the vast constitutes and ways of preparation.. not forgetting that it also improves what already exists within us such as glutathione or superoxide dismutase.

SpartanII
#7 Posted : 4/26/2015 12:11:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm still not sure we're on the same page here lol. You quoted the effect on the immune system. I'm referring to the quote on the respiratory effect of the oil in which it states that it had a bronchoconstricting effect, contradicting the other research that showed a bronchodilating effect.

Quote:
2.8.2. Effect on the Respiratory System
Influenced by the folklore claim that the black seed can treat asthma, Mahfouz and his collaborators investigated the effect of the volatile oil in guinea pigs and dogs. The results revealed that (i.m) or (i.p) injection of the volatile oil in doses of 200 μl/kg antagonized histamine-induced bronchoconstriction and induced bronchodilation [61,63]. However, the oil was found to be ineffective in blocking histamine H1receptors in the trachea both in vitro [63] and in vivo [64]. To clarify the effect of the volatile oil on the respiratory system and to elucidate its mechanism of action, El Tahir et al [65] performed several experiments in guinea-pigs. The results revealed that intravenous administration of the oil in doses of 4–32 μl/kg induced dosedependent increases in the respiratory rate and increased the intra-tracheal pressure pointing to a strong evidence of bronchoconstriction [65]. The oil did not contract the isolated trachea. With the help of various receptor blockers, mast cell stabilizers and amine depletors, the authors concluded that the volatile oil-induced bronchoconstriction and tachypnea were due to the release of histamine from pulmonary non-tracheal mast cells and circulating basophils with the consequent activation of the H1receptors located on the pulmonary irritant receptors and the pulmonary C sensory afferent nerves resulting in activation of the afferent sensory vagal nerves reaching the vagal nuclei in the brain stem. The final effect will be the activation of the efferent vagal activity to the pulmonary system [65].

Cognitive Heart
#8 Posted : 4/26/2015 1:02:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Those results are from 2006.. maybe there is a simultaneous effect I am unaware of? Kinda like how coffee is mildly vasoconstricting but also vasodialating due to theobromine as a secondary constitute.

I can only find bronchodialating publishings on pubmed for nigella sativa.. a lot of them from this year and recent years.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25752254

Quote:
This study suggested that α-hederin has anti-inflammatory and bronchodilatory effects like thymoquinone.