We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acetone instead of Naptha for extraction? Options

All-the-sane
#1 Posted : 6/15/2009 1:16:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi, I've read some posts that say that DMT is highly soluble in Acetone, but I've noticed that nobody ever mentions Acetone in extraction threads or teks, and also nobody mentions it in the many "what can I use instead of naptha" threads; is there a reason for this or would acetone work well as an extraction solvent instead of naptha?

'Round here, acetone is way cheaper and more acessable than naptha.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

West-en
#2 Posted : 6/15/2009 2:09:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No. Many compounds are highly soluble in acetone, so you would get a really dirty extraction (DMT + jungle spice). DMT is also soluble in cold acetone as far as I'm concerned so freeze precipitation won't work as a method to get a cleaner yield.
There's a clear difference between what I say I do and what I actually do perform.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 6/15/2009 2:25:56 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

All-the-sane wrote:
Hi, I've read some posts that say that DMT is highly soluble in Acetone, but I've noticed that nobody ever mentions Acetone in extraction threads or teks, and also nobody mentions it in the many "what can I use instead of naptha" threads; is there a reason for this or would acetone work well as an extraction solvent instead of naptha?

'Round here, acetone is way cheaper and more acessable than naptha.

Acetone is miscible with water. It cannot be separated out just as naphtha, xylene, toluene, DCM hexane, heptane etc separate out when mixed with water. In this respect, acetone is useless for pulling spices out of basified plant extracts.

But acetone can be used in many other ways for purifying spices, e.g. FASA. Acetone can be used as a pulling solvent in the Dry-teks. Please check the DMT Nexus Wiki (the "Wisdom" section on the front page of the nexus) for more information about Dryteks and how acetone can be a really valuable solvent in some extraction strategies.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Bassface
#4 Posted : 6/15/2009 7:16:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

For people making changa, would there be any reason that the desired smoking herbs couldn't be added directly to combined acetone pulls on a drytek? It seems like this could be a very convenient way of making enhanced leaf. You would have to make a guess at how much DMT is actually being extracted to get the ratio correct, but that seems like the only downside.

West-en
#5 Posted : 6/15/2009 9:42:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bassface wrote:
For people making changa, would there be any reason that the desired smoking herbs couldn't be added directly to combined acetone pulls on a drytek? It seems like this could be a very convenient way of making enhanced leaf. You would have to make a guess at how much DMT is actually being extracted to get the ratio correct, but that seems like the only downside.

It's perfectly possible, but as you say, you don't really know how strong your changa will get.
There's a clear difference between what I say I do and what I actually do perform.