We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pau d'arco Options

BundleflowerPower
#1 Posted : 3/11/2015 3:45:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive seen people talk about making changa with pau d'arco, but not much on brewing with it in ayahuasca.

So I've used this plant to heal myself and one other person of physical illness. It's a remarkable herb for that, I went to 3 doctors for a skin infection over the course of 4 years and their drugs just couldn't phase it, yet 3 days of drinking a pau d'arco decoction and applying it along with a mimosa hostilis leaf and stem tincture topically, caused it to come to head and heal.

Now I want to take my relationship with the plant to the next level by adding it to my brew. I've read that this is done in Amazonia, but havent found much more data online, other than the fact that it will keep stored brew from growing mold. I suppose I could just trust my intuition and do it my own way, but I'm curious if any one else has brewed with it and your experiences. Any ayahuasceros from South America your input would be greatly valued.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

RhythmSpring
#2 Posted : 3/11/2015 9:05:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know it's not exactly what you were asking about, but this might be a good place to start. I also like any chance to show people this website--it's awesome.

http://www.rain-tree.com/paudarco.htm#.VQCstcbWRcw

Quote:
Most of the commercially-available products, though, contain the inner and outer bark of the tree—which is stripped off at sawmills when the heartwood is milled into lumber for construction materials. Additionally, at least 10 species of Tabebuia are logged commercially in South America for lumber purposes alone. When these logs arrive at lumber mills, the identifying leaves and flowers (which distinguish the tree species) are long gone—it’s all just “pau d’arco.” This may explain varying species of pau d’arco bark being sold as herbal products—and their resulting (diminished) quality. Finally, many consumers and practitioners are unaware that, for the best results when extracting these particular active chemicals (even after obtaining the correct species), the bark and/or wood must be boiled at least 8–10 minutes—rather than brewed as a simple tea or infusion (lapachol and the other quinoids are not very water soluble).

It is therefore not surprising that consumers and practitioners are experiencing spotty results with commercially-available pau d’arco products. With its many effective applications, however, it would behoove consumers to take the time to learn about the available products and suppliers, and find a reliable source for this important medicinal plant from the rainforest. Relatively new in the marketplace are standardized extracts of pau d’arco (that guarantee the amount of lapachol and/or naphthoquinones). In such a product, it would be unclear if other active quinones have been extracted (and to what extent) in these chemically-altered products. Although the natural wood and bark are quite effective when the correct species is used and prepared properly, the new standardized extracts may be the safer (although more expensive) purchase for most laypersons and general consumers concerned about quality but which don’t have the time to research each product.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

BundleflowerPower
#3 Posted : 3/11/2015 10:55:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks. That was one of the first things I read about it. That site is nice. Luckily I have a connection for real inner bark here locally.

BundleflowerPower
#4 Posted : 4/2/2015 7:58:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay, so I made a brew with pau d'arco. Per dose I used 7 grams of acacia confusa, 3 grams of peganum harmala, 2 grams of pau d'arco, 1 gram of calamus and 1 gram of roasted ilex vomitoria leaves/ stems.

Preparation:

I used a bit of a hybrid tek, with microwave and stove. First I took the acacia, put it in a large glass of water with a splash of lemon juice and microwaved it for 2 minutes until all the bark rose to the top. I did this twice and strained the water into a pot. To the pot I added the harmal seeds (un-crushed, I've found that there's no need to crush rue seeds), sweet flag, pau d'arco and yaupon. I boiled this for 2 hours, strained and reduced.

Effects:

My usual drinking buddy and I went to the forest in the local national park. He's a total city dweller and hasn't really been in nature much. We've drank together ~10 times now. We layed on our backs on the forest floor and looking into the canopy was amazing. The visions were so intense that it made no difference that it was broad daylight. This was the most intense brew that I've made yet and I've drank ~40 times now. Boundaries where completely dissolved, it stripped everything away just like when one smokes a breakthrough dose. The experience had a technological feel to it. I felt as if I didn't need a body, I was pure intellect, then I forgot my ego completely. In short I had an extremely mystical experience. This time I saw less geometric visuals, but more true visions, in the minds eye. It was very introspective and confirmed this path I'm on. It also felt extremely medicinal, with the medicinal effects of the admixture plants amplified.
Previously, I had made brews using yaupon and sweet flag, one per brew, and they are both nice admixtures, pau d'arco adds a whole new intensity, one can feel it's history of use.
I'm not sure if they use this plant in South America to learn medicine, but I got a distinct feeling that this plant has much medicine to teach.

Conclusion:

This is the best, most intense and most mystical concoction I've yet made.

wira
#5 Posted : 3/12/2017 2:46:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ideally if you're curious about the effects of a plant with caapi, it should be tried first with just those two. It's hard to know what to make of a report like this when there are other potent additives in the brew.

BundleflowerPower
#6 Posted : 8/28/2019 8:58:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

wira wrote:
Ideally if you're curious about the effects of a plant with caapi, it should be tried first with just those two. It's hard to know what to make of a report like this when there are other potent additives in the brew.

Yeah I agree now. Lol. I kind of of learned my lesson.

twitchy
#7 Posted : 8/28/2019 9:13:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

BundleflowerPower wrote:
Okay, so I made a brew with pau d'arco. Per dose I used 7 grams of acacia confusa, 3 grams of peganum harmala, 2 grams of pau d'arco, 1 gram of calamus and 1 gram of roasted ilex vomitoria leaves/ stems.

Preparation:

I used a bit of a hybrid tek, with microwave and stove. First I took the acacia, put it in a large glass of water with a splash of lemon juice and microwaved it for 2 minutes until all the bark rose to the top. I did this twice and strained the water into a pot. To the pot I added the harmal seeds (un-crushed, I've found that there's no need to crush rue seeds), sweet flag, pau d'arco and yaupon. I boiled this for 2 hours, strained and reduced.

Effects:

My usual drinking buddy and I went to the forest in the local national park. He's a total city dweller and hasn't really been in nature much. We've drank together ~10 times now. We layed on our backs on the forest floor and looking into the canopy was amazing. The visions were so intense that it made no difference that it was broad daylight. This was the most intense brew that I've made yet and I've drank ~40 times now. Boundaries where completely dissolved, it stripped everything away just like when one smokes a breakthrough dose. The experience had a technological feel to it. I felt as if I didn't need a body, I was pure intellect, then I forgot my ego completely. In short I had an extremely mystical experience. This time I saw less geometric visuals, but more true visions, in the minds eye. It was very introspective and confirmed this path I'm on. It also felt extremely medicinal, with the medicinal effects of the admixture plants amplified.
Previously, I had made brews using yaupon and sweet flag, one per brew, and they are both nice admixtures, pau d'arco adds a whole new intensity, one can feel it's history of use.
I'm not sure if they use this plant in South America to learn medicine, but I got a distinct feeling that this plant has much medicine to teach.

Conclusion:

This is the best, most intense and most mystical concoction I've yet made.

Sounds like we have alot in common in terms of botanical explorations. Thumbs up
I'm curious about the addition of Ilex vomitoria, was this for the stimulant properties or was there some other intention? I would have thought that caffeine and rue would be unpleasant but sounds like it worked out.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

BundleflowerPower
#8 Posted : 9/9/2019 9:04:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

twitchy wrote:
Sounds like we have alot in common in terms of botanical explorations. Thumbs up
I'm curious about the addition of Ilex vomitoria, was this for the stimulant properties or was there some other intention? I would have thought that caffeine and rue would be unpleasant but sounds like it worked out.

Back then I added Ilex Vomitoria because I heard that in the Amazon some shamans add Yerba Mate to their brews, and Yerba Mate and Yaupon are so similar in their effects when I drink teas of them by themselves.

These days I see more in Yaupon. When I look at the tree I see ancient knowledge from the land I live on. I think it remembers the medicine men / women who have lived here and worked with it over the ages.