We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pipette use suggestions?? Cleaning? Options

WSaged
#1 Posted : 6/3/2009 10:28:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know if anyone even has any suggestions on this, but I just bought a couple of Pipettes & a 3-way filler bulb for them & while checking them out (haven't used them in an extraction yet), I realized how much more control there is when using a real pipette than there is with a baster or even eye droppers.

The 3-way filler bulb attaches to any one of the pipettes (I got 2x-5ml & 1x-25ml) & has 3 ways to either fill, or empty the pipette incredibly smoothly.
I didn't realize how sophisticated it was...albeit in a simple way.

So I was wondering if any of the actual scientist's and/or biologist's on the forum might have a few tips on how to best use them?
I realize that they are a fairly simple lab tool.
But until learning to direct the flow of a liquid being poured, with a glass stir-rod to avoid spilling, I thought those had only one use too.Embarrased

I already know about using them for a small, fine filter. Anything else?

The ones I bought, have a indention near the top of the neck, where the filler attaches, to hold a piece of cotton (so liquid doesn't jump up into the filler).
So I'm wondering how to get in there to clean the pipette's after use?
After checking out how the filler worked, with just water, I couldn't get in there to even dry it!!
Any tips there??

Next to my Seperatory funnel, these might be one of the most helpful tools I've bought!

WS
WSaged attached the following image(s):
filler bulb.jpg (10kb) downloaded 221 time(s).
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

SWIMfriend
#2 Posted : 6/3/2009 10:30:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I remember how cool I thought those bulbs were when I first figured them out. Definitely a creative genuis whoever invented them.

Be prepared to screw up and suck stuff up into the bulb. I did it at least twice before I learned to stop myself Pleased

WSaged
#3 Posted : 6/3/2009 10:40:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIMfriend wrote:
I remember how cool I thought those bulbs were when I first figured them out. Definitely a creative genuis whoever invented them.

Be prepared to screw up and suck stuff up into the bulb. I did it at least twice before I learned to stop myself Pleased

Yeah did that with the water while checking it out.Embarrased

The pipettes I got have a place at the top, for putting a piece of cotton to try stop, or at least help to slow that kind of thing down.
But a small piece of cotton probably isn't gonna stop a totally emptied vacuum bulb.Laughing

Thanks!

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 6/3/2009 10:54:05 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Yeah, those bubble pipettes are pretty useful. Just make sure you get glass pipette tips, since the disposable plastic ones are eroded and soften with naphthas, xylene, limonene (but not acetone and alcohols)

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

balaganist
#5 Posted : 6/4/2009 1:01:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
Yeah, those bubble pipettes are pretty useful. Just make sure you get glass pipette tips, the disposable plastic ones are eroded and soften with naphthas, xylene, limonene (but not acetone and alcohols)

SWIM did find that acetone melted the tip of some disposable plastic pippettes. So he got some glass ones Cool
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

Tribal
#6 Posted : 6/4/2009 1:49:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

To clean one, there isn't much as far as something mechanical to insert and scrub or to dry it out. Something that works well is to just fill it with a solvent to dissolve whatever gunk you have in it, let the gunk dissolve, empty, and then pull the bulb and air dry.

Since you have 2x5ml, you could use one for water based stuff, and one for non-polars. The problem will be, say, if you accidentally suck up some MHRB juice when you're trying to suck off the NP solvent. Then it gets a little messy in there.

69ron
#7 Posted : 6/4/2009 5:11:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use pipettes all the time and I have many different sizes from 1 ml all the way up to 25 ml. I don't use that bulb though. I use a plastic pump like this one below. It's a lot easier to control, plus it has a fast release trigger. The knob lets you easily suck or blow out the liquid slowly and accurately. These are cheap, about $5-$10 depending on the size. I love the quick release trigger. That makes life a lot easier. These are one hand operable.
69ron attached the following image(s):
AC008598l.jpg (10kb) downloaded 188 time(s).
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

WSaged
#8 Posted : 6/4/2009 6:25:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
I use pipettes all the time and I have many different sizes from 1 ml all the way up to 25 ml. I don't use that bulb though. I use a plastic pump like this one below. It's a lot easier to control, plus it has a fast release trigger. The knob lets you easily suck or blow out the liquid slowly and accurately. These are cheap, about $5-$10 depending on the size. I love the quick release trigger. That makes life a lot easier. These are one hand operable.

I was looking at those, but seemed like a bit more than I really needed, I'll have to check one out.
What I got are glass Mohr's pipette's, will that still work with one of those?
How exactly does the pipette attach to it?

Thanks guys!

WS

69ron
#9 Posted : 6/4/2009 6:36:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah it’s made for glass pipettes, the kind you have.

You just push the pipette into the hole at the bottom.

There are three sizes. Each size works for a range of pipette sizes based on their capacity. For example, the large one works for 10ml-25 ml. The small one works with 1-5 ml, etc.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

WSaged
#10 Posted : 6/4/2009 6:48:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool!

WS

Dopamine
#11 Posted : 6/7/2009 9:42:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The best way to clean glassware is with a solution of ethanol/isopropanol (60-95%) and 1M sodium hydroxide. Just rinse it off with that after use and then rinse with deionized/distilled H2O. If you have something really gunky in it try a sulfochromic acid mixture, but beware of its carcinogenic potential.