We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Student Arrested After Smoking Joint During Pro-Pot Essay At School Options

MagikVenom
#1 Posted : 6/5/2009 7:55:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.kirotv.com/news/19634608/detail.html

3.7 GPA I guess the kid is resposbible enough to handle cannabis. But if I was his dad I would be a little pissed having to leave work to get him out of jail.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

deedle-doo
#2 Posted : 6/6/2009 2:29:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Only thing I can say is: BALLS! Maybe more balls than brains but still I gotta hand it to this kid.

smokeydaze
#3 Posted : 6/6/2009 2:34:14 AM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

Read his essay, it's awesome.
SMOKE MORE DMT, SMOKE MORE DMT NOW

SpiceGirl
#4 Posted : 6/6/2009 3:12:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From a comment on the youtube video he got expelled for this. I read through the essay, and I think he should have mentioned just how much better hemp paper is over wood pulp paper (wood pulp maybe will last a century if you're good to it, hemp scrolls are still kickin' today).

I agree that it was lots of balls, but I think he had brains behind it. The more they do to punish him only furthers his case really, but I have a feeling this story will get cut short and ignored by the mass media. Hopefully not though, hopefully shit like this is as far as it will have to go before things change.

Just my two cents, thanks for sharing! Read his essay if you haven't, it's pretty damn good - youtube video is a bit of a waste but the comment I saw from fellow student was nice bonus.

Drake
#5 Posted : 6/6/2009 3:34:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Funniest posts were:
Quote:
Apparently the teacher was getting high from the smoke!! It would expalin why she didn't do anything until after he ingested the "roach".. She was savoring the moment!

Quote:

He is soooo going to get laid at the next kegger.

Most idiotic posts were:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
diogenes, you are a total loser...You are the reason kids have no respect for teachers. If a whiff of harmless pot smoke made you violently ill, maybe you should pay a visit to Dr. Kevorkian because you obviously don't have what it takes to survive in the real world. Mad congratulations to this kid for doing what he did and taking a stand!!! The only way to cause any real change is to stand up for our liberties like he did!

This post was a reply to -
As an educator, I can't believe a teacher did not stop the student as he lit the marijuana cigarette. I wouldn't have tolerated that in the least. I have asthma and an allergy to smoke. I don't do drugs but I have been exposed to pot smoke before by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It made me violently ill (had to use an epi pen to breathe again) and I was three rooms away from where it was being used. What about other kids in the class? How could the teacher be sure that the other kids wouldn't be harmed? I just can't understand those of you who have posted that this is about the stupidity of marijuana laws. You can't smoke anything in schools because they are supposed to be safe and healthy places. Legalizing marijuana is a whole other issue. I'm not against it entirely but it would still be restricted, presumably, to underage students. Certainly, it would still be illegal to use in schools!

In my view both are pretty idiotic

Quote:

I have never thought much of Ian Barry. His action of stupidity has given me proof for a life time that my beliefs were founded. I am disgusted that he dared to represent the student body of Peninsula High School like this, but then again, he was one of the losers who had enough cultural respect for Asia to pee off the Great was of China during a school exchange trip. Great job Ian, you stuck it to the man, partially destroying Peninsula’s recovering reputation. The freedom of speech is given to every single one of us, yet Ian forced his opinion on 150 high school students who by law were required to attend the English presentations, now that is a lack of respect. As a junior at Peninsula High school, I feel sorry for the English teachers who are bearing the brunt of the criticism, for they are a group of rare, intellectual individuals who unfortunately put their trust into the wrong minor; believing that he only wished to raise his voice and not a lighter. At this current time I could not care less for the cause that Ian apparently feels so passionately about. In order to have his voice heard, he broke the law and has created more press coverage in one action for PHS then every single amazing quality combined about the school. (and believe me, there are many) While everyone congratulates this moron, please bear in mind the people that he has hurt, and the trust that has been broken. In my mind, Ian is classified as nothing more than a high school delinquent with a moderately high GPA.

Quote:

Seriously? People are equating him smoking marijuana with Rosa Parks? I am white, but I feel this spits on the entire civil rights movement. It spits in the face of anyone who has faced adversity for who they are. I fail to see the social injustice in not allowing you to consume a harmful substance -- and any time you inhale the smoke from any burning substance, it is harmful. You people are hailing him as a hero, when it's out of his own selfishness that this happened. He's not protesting something that happened to him because of who he is -- he's protesting because he wants something that he cannot have. That isn't bravery -- that's selfishness. It's nothing more than a childish tantrum. And it's extremely arrogant -- you can't tell me what to do -- it's my right. Let me ask you this -- how is it morally right for him to break the law in protest, but morally wrong for the murder of George Tiller? Both were acts of civil disobedience, but where the murder of Tiller was "justified" by saving babies, smoking the marijuana serves only the self. Is it more right to commit civil disobedience for your own good, or for the good of others? I'm certain that Ian did not wax poetically on the philosophy of civil disobedience

Quote:
when you do this kind of thing it makes sense to make sure you don't have any 'residual' marijuana in your pocket. this kid just confirmed all the square's beliefs that smoking pot makes you stupid. he's no p i m p, he's an idiot.

Quote:

I have no say so on whether or not you should smoke, it's all personal preferences; like smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol, but it's just flat out retarded to do something that is currently illegal in public and get arrested for it. It just proves the system right in saying that only idiots do it and makes the people who actually have common sense look bad. Protest all you want; but don't resort to illegal efforts to do so.

And the best post from the lot. Post for the guy himself. It was a good point on why it was done.

Quote:

shanon2k, i knew exactly what the punishment would be and i fully accepted them weeks before i gave the speech. and for getting my point across i think you just need to look at all the attention this is getting had i not smoked a joint only the 150 people that saw my essay would have been affected. now it's across the web and hudreds if not thousands of people have heard about it. i plan to post my speech somewhere on the web and i guarantee you a lot of people will now go and read it.
How To Stop a Nightmare
Insanty at its finest!
The Dark reaches of The Void are there. But it is not to be feared.