We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mushroom I.D. Help Needed Options

Jorkest
#1 Posted : 6/5/2009 6:19:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

so a friend of mine that lives in the northeast sent me some pictures of some mushrooms that a friend of theirs found on some horse poo. my friend was smart and told his friends not to eat them because they could kill you. so here are the pictures that he sent..he says he can get more detailed ones if needed. obviously they wont be eaten if we cant figure out what they are.

any help would be awesome!
Jorkest attached the following image(s):
mush1.JPG (146kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
mush2.JPG (178kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
mush3.JPG (82kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
mush4.JPG (96kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
mush5.JPG (149kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
mush6.JPG (107kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
it's a sound

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

burnt
#2 Posted : 6/5/2009 6:25:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

SWIM used to do quite a bit of amateur mycology and edible mushroom collecting and we have a name for things like that. LBM's (little brown mushrooms). They are called that because there are hundreds of species that pretty much all look like that. Many can be toxic.

If they don't stain blue they aren't psilocybes (although there are non psilocybes that do stain blue also) and wouldn't never risk eating them unless ID'd by a mycologist. Even then why bother? There are so many tasty edible mushroom species that are way easier to ID.

Jorkest
#3 Posted : 6/5/2009 6:31:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

yeah thats what i was figuring...they didnt stain blue..and just seems too good to be true...ill send my friend a message
it's a sound

Phlux-
#4 Posted : 6/5/2009 6:34:33 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

yeah - those dont look good to eat
looks to me like Stropharia semiglobata or even Psilocybe coprophila - there would be no point in eating either.
way to risky if it doesnt stain blue, remember the old saying - all mushrooms are edible but some only once.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Aegle
#5 Posted : 6/5/2009 6:44:46 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Phlux- wrote:

way to risky if it doesnt stain blue, remember the old saying - all mushrooms are edible but some only once.

I love that saying so true so true. Ive eaten a couple of mushrooms without IDing them properly luckily they turned out to be only ink caps (I'm a little to adventurous sometimes) When I was six years old the boy next door convinced me to eat a highly piousness colorful mushroom in my garden and i got rushed to hospital got my stomach pumped and nearly died (I was way to trusting when i was small I still am a little bit) So never eat mushies from the wild unless they stain blue or you have a mycologist at hand its definitely not worth it.

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart