We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
kava + aya Options

cosmic butterfly
#1 Posted : 2/16/2015 8:36:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hey im having hard time finding any info on this combo and just got in some kava(which looks like a MAO-B inhibitor) Curious if is safe with caapi and if they synergize?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

joedirt
#2 Posted : 2/16/2015 8:41:59 PM

Not I

I can't give you any advice on the combo...

But I want to just make it known to others that some people (myself included) have extreme allergic reactions to Kava... If I drink Kava Kava I will break out in a full body skin rash that lasts two weeks... and yes I did a repeat experiment (which was stupid)...

BTW I didn't happen the first or second time I drank Kava, but now even a tiny amount like in Yogi brand Kava tea will cause hives to form on my face and neck...

I have only encountered 1 or 2 other people online that have described this so it probably won't happen to you, but what if MOA potentiated the Kava allergic reaction.. I'm guessing you would die from it if you didn't make it to the hospital since hives that spread to the throat can get ugly fast...

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

obliguhl
#3 Posted : 2/17/2015 10:15:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, Kava is know for its "Kava dermopathy". Some people never get it, some are kinda allergic to Kava (rare) and most develop kava rash after a few weeks of drinking, or drinking too much sediment. The rash itself is harmless.

I would stay away from the combination fo Kava and Harmalas. While some seem to tolerate it, there is at least one dramatic report on the ayahuasca.com forums. From experience, i suspect that both don't go well together. See https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=58199

Nathanial.Dread
#4 Posted : 2/17/2015 3:41:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Given the number of different bioactive alkaloids present in Kava Kava, I wouldn't risk it, personally.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

cosmic butterfly
#5 Posted : 2/17/2015 5:00:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

looks like imma keep them seperate, thnks guys

joedirt
#6 Posted : 2/17/2015 6:04:40 PM

Not I

obliguhl wrote:
Yes, Kava is know for its "Kava dermopathy". Some people never get it, some are kinda allergic to Kava (rare) and most develop kava rash after a few weeks of drinking, or drinking too much sediment. The rash itself is harmless.

I would stay away from the combination fo Kava and Harmalas. While some seem to tolerate it, there is at least one dramatic report on the ayahuasca.com forums. From experience, i suspect that both don't go well together. See https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=58199

Nope it's definitely NOT that. Not even close. It's a full skin rash. it's not a dermapathy which everyone will develop if they drink it to much. This is a full allergic reaction...and not a trivial one either. no Doctor could figure out what was wrong with me..even though I told them straight up about the Kava. no medication helped the intense itching. I literally could not lay down for 2 weeks straight. This is not reported on more than a handful of blog comments at this time... including about 3 instances on the Nexus where I have mentioned it. There isn't a science paper you can google either.

I'm not presenting evidence per-say I'm just letting people know my experience.. proceed with caution. I would certainly confirm that you don't have an allergic reaction before trying this.
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

BundleflowerPower
#7 Posted : 3/30/2015 3:18:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kava synergizes well with LSA. This is a very nice combination.

obliguhl
#8 Posted : 3/30/2015 8:58:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
This is a full allergic reaction...and not a trivial one either.

Sorry to hear Sad
I think i've read about it once on the kavaforums - someone apparantly developed real allergic symptoms after a while of consumption. Hope that never happens to me.

Godsmacker
#9 Posted : 4/6/2015 4:20:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Harmala alkaloids inhibit MAO-A and Kava inhibits MAO-B. This doesn't sound like a safe combo as both substrates of MAO would become inhibited, increasing the risk for an MAO diet contradiction or hypertensive crisis. A main reason why many rules of the traditional MAO diet do not have to be observed for most foodstuffs with harmalas is that MAO-A is weakly inhibited and MAO-B is still functional. If you inhibited both substrates, you would have to be very careful about what you consume beforem, during and after the session.

I would recommend that you do not combine kava and ayahuasca.
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

null24
#10 Posted : 4/6/2015 3:43:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

From this, i would conclude that kava has an element of danger to it. I didn't know any of this when i went to a kava bar a couple weeks ago. If there are considerations to take when consuming it on par with an MAOI, shouldn't those be clearly stated in such an establishment?

Frankly, it's not really my thing, there's just no way around the taste, maybe in candy or something.. .ugh.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*