We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
To Log Out or Not? Options

Chan
#1 Posted : 3/22/2015 3:21:54 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

From an internet security viewpoint, are there any dis/advantages to staying logged in vs logging out every session?

“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

joedirt
#2 Posted : 3/22/2015 3:56:40 PM

Not I

Man From Chan Chan wrote:
From an internet security viewpoint, are there any dis/advantages to staying logged in vs logging out every session?

I suppose this partly depends upon where you are located. In countries were free speech is a right then there is no harm in staying logged in or even openly admitting associate with the Nexus... So long as you are not posting incriminating evidence that could lead authorities to a search warrant and a kicking in of your door... though even if you are it's not exactly easy for them to get access to the information. I believe Trav has a couple layers of encryption which could in all likelihood be cracked, but at what cost? This site isn't resulting in Kilos's of Coke or Heroin hitting the shores.. It's a small psychedelic enthusiast site and psychedelics appear to cause the fewest problems of any of the controlled drugs in society... It's not that the authorities wouldn't like to shut down the nexus and flow of information, but they don't really have the resources or legal grounds to effectively carry it out..

Take for instance the silkroad story... a site dedicated to directly circumventing the law... This is the kind of target that resources will be spent on.. and quite frankly they have their hands full. The first time it was taken down a new market was up in a month or two...along with many other sites. The second time it was taken down it was back up in a single day... These are the sites that are of most concern to the authorities.. Most people aren't interested in learning chemistry to get off.. or growing a plant for years to have an experience.. No most drug users are interested in simply purchasing a pill or powder and doing it... So distribution sites are a MUCH larger concern than information sites like the nexus...

This is why we have policies against source talk. Acquiring drugs is illegal. Talking about them is not. Doing them is illegal.. talking about doing them is not. Extracting them is illegal, actually talking about the science of their extraction is not... This of course only applies to countries that have open and free speech and this clearly isn't the case for a lot of countries... so be sure to check my post against where you reside and your laws...
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

DisEmboDied
#3 Posted : 3/25/2015 5:08:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There is just a level of fear and paranoia that I refuse to live under (though I hear you though).
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

#4 Posted : 3/26/2015 1:41:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

I never payed much mind to it, but every time I shut the computer down my browsing history, cookies, saved log ins, etc all get erased, so I have to log in each time I get on.

Chan
#5 Posted : 3/27/2015 1:49:37 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Thanks for the replies, guys. Totally free speech isn't a right I enjoy, unfortunately, and well, my head is free of tinfoil but I just wondered whether there were any specific pro/cons of the two approaches.

This might be of interest/concern to some, I'm not affected, but it's along the lines I was thinking with my OP

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/atts-plan-to-watch-your-web-browsing-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

nexalizer
#6 Posted : 3/28/2015 12:27:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As a general security rule, it's best to not stay logged on.

IF what you're looking for is not incriminate yourself, then logging off will be next to useless. Even clearing cookies etc won't help much, as the data isn't really removed from your hard disk.

It truly depends on who and what you are defending against.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

Chan
#7 Posted : 3/28/2015 7:39:16 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Thanks Nexalizer, that's what I was looking for!
― B.G. Bowers

MachienDome
#8 Posted : 10/16/2018 9:55:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you stay logged in your session can be hijacked and an attacker can log-in as you and do anything they want with your account. Its called "session hijacking." Log out. Thumbs up

As for "its what you're defending against", therein lies the problem...you wont know until its too late. Defend against the entire planet, because that's who has access to your computer when its online.
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."