We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV45678NEXT»
Extracting DMT with ethanol, vinegar and sodium carbonate Options

skoobysnax
#101 Posted : 3/14/2015 4:19:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
slewb wrote:
I've noticed this happening in a couple of extractions so now I'm doing an experiment. There's this white precipitate that forms at the bottom of an IPA pull if you leave it in an uncovered jar for a few days (photo attached). Any idea what it is? Possibly lime? Once I'm sure it's finished coming out of the solution, which I think it almost is, I'll decant the alcohol and add some distilled water to see if it dissolves.

We need more detail before any comment can be made on this.

*What did you extract from?
*What base was used?
*What other steps were there in the extraction before the IPA extract was obtained?
*What percentage purity is your IPA - is it anhydrous?

By 'lime' are you sure you mean calcium hydroxide? Calcium hydroxide is only slightly soluble in water and insoluble in isopropanol.

could be that the water dissolved the lime but it crashed out later? That would be pretty cool.
I am about to try this one too but thought about using lime instead of sodium carb. I have both though. I loved the q21q21. This tek will be awesome though because I am aiming to make a non-toxic start to finish Changa.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

1ce
#102 Posted : 3/17/2015 5:07:48 PM

Communications-Security Analyst

Ethanol azeotrops with water at 95.57:4.43 ethanol:water

Couldn't you base with pickling lime, extract with limonene, wash with water, dehydrate limonene with MgSO4, precip crude freebase.

Purify with:

Dissolving fumaric acid in ethanol, dissolving your freebase into the ethanol, filter, evap ethanol, wash off excess fumaric acid with dry acetone.

endlessness
#103 Posted : 3/17/2015 8:27:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmmm... The point of this method is to be as simplified as possible with stuff you can easily find, and not to use a non polar like limonene, which is expensive and harder to find for some people that cant order online.

Also how do you 'precip crude freebase' from limonene?

1ce
#104 Posted : 3/17/2015 10:38:58 PM

endlessness wrote:
Hmmm... The point of this method is to be as simplified as possible with stuff you can easily find, and not to use a non polar like limonene, which is expensive and harder to find for some people that cant order online.

So then why not just extract with EtOH soluted w/ fumaric acid from the dry bark. This gives you the advantage of being able to quickly wash the DMT salt with acetone to refine the extract, and remove some extra solubles.

endlessness
#105 Posted : 3/17/2015 10:40:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Try it out and let us know how it works Smile

SnozzleBerry
#106 Posted : 3/17/2015 11:00:40 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

1ce wrote:
endlessness wrote:

So then why not just extract with EtOH soluted w/ fumaric acid from the dry bark. This gives you the advantage of being able to quickly wash the DMT salt with acetone to refine the extract, and remove some extra solubles.

endlessness wrote:

+1

And don't forget that you won't yield freebase with those steps, so you're still looking at additional work for a smokeable product Wink
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

1ce
#107 Posted : 3/18/2015 3:27:45 AM

endlessness wrote:

I got some mimosa sitting around, I think an experiment is in order. It's probably getting bored just sitting about. Coincedentally I planned on distilling some EtOH tonight anyway. (Raspberry 'shine)

;]
1ce

Doc Buxin
#108 Posted : 3/20/2015 6:37:57 PM

Pay No Mind

endlessness wrote:

-Mix Mimosa powder with excess sodium carbonate, add water to make a paste, spread it in a wide dish and let it dry.
-3x pulls with 95% ethanol, filter the pulls
- Evaporate the ethanol
- Redissolved reddish/brownish wax in warm white vinegar, filter it.
- Mix the vinegar with excess sodium carb, spread it on a plate and let it dry
- Pull with ethanol again, filter, evap

This could for sure be cleaned up further by repeating the redisolution in vinegar, basing and repulling...

I have two questions re: this tek (I'm very excited to attempt this week if the timing of my life works!)

1) What would be the volume ratio of the ethanol to the Mimosa/Sodium Carbonate paste when performing the pulls?

&

2) What kind of filter would you suggest? Can I use a paper coffee filter? A metal coffee filter?
I have those on hand.

Thank you for your time.
Freedom's so hard
When we are all bound by laws
Etched in the scheme of nature's own hand
Unseen by all those who fail
In their pursuit of fate

Doc Buxin
#109 Posted : 3/20/2015 7:19:50 PM

Pay No Mind

SnozzleBerry wrote:
And don't forget that you won't yield freebase with those steps, so you're still looking at additional work for a smokeable product Wink

Are you saying that Endlessness's tek as laid out in the OP will not result in a smokeable product?

I was really looking forward to utilizing a tek that didn't include harsher solvents than ethanol or IPA & also eschewed harsher bases than sodium carbonate.Neutral
Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

SnozzleBerry
#110 Posted : 3/20/2015 7:22:33 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Doc Buxin wrote:
Are you saying that Endlessness's tek as laid out in the OP will not result in a smokeable product?

No, I was saying that method proposed by 1ce would yield fumarates (likely impure) at best, and would still require additional steps to convert to freebase.

endless' method will result in freebase (again, likely impure).
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Doc Buxin
#111 Posted : 3/20/2015 8:15:58 PM

Pay No Mind

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Doc Buxin wrote:

No, I was saying that method proposed by 1ce would yield fumarates (likely impure) at best, and would still require additional steps to convert to freebase.

endless' method will result in freebase (again, likely impure).

Thank you SnozzleBerry. I greatly appreciate your time & expertise!

Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

DreaMTripper
#112 Posted : 3/21/2015 9:57:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

1ce wrote:

endlessness wrote:

+1

That sounds a decent method I would be interested to see how you get on 1ce, I do think the fumarates would need a couple of washes to separate the polar material from the fumarates, for small extractions especially its a low cost safe easily acessible method. Yielding feebase after would be a doddle as you could use the same bottle of dryed ethanol to pull freebase in a paste and pull method if desired. To get even purer you could wash the fumarates beforehand with a non-polar solvent too that wouldnt require a large amount.

skoobysnax
#113 Posted : 4/2/2015 11:06:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have my first pull finally, it yeilded a dark goo when scraped up. i am going to spread it back out and scrape for a few days and try a bit of it without a cleanup and see what I think. Smells nice.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

WEM
#114 Posted : 4/3/2015 8:05:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

6 pages in and no one has asked this question yet (good read, great info so far), maybe it's more because I'm not experienced with extractions yet (call me novice) but I must ask this now: Would this tek work with leaf sources? Like say... Psychotria viridis or nexus, or maybe Diplopterys cabrerana? Or is this more a tek meant for root bark sources?
A dramatic shift approaches...

endlessness
#115 Posted : 4/3/2015 8:26:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It should work for any material containing the wanted alkaloids. The profile of the impurities might be different, maybe doing this with leaves will yield a greener product with some chlorophyll? no clue, but its certainly worth a try. The worse that happens is that you do some further clean up in any of the many possible ways at the end.

I'd love to hear results from people trying with leaf material, so if you try, do let us know!

Be well!

Jees
#116 Posted : 4/3/2015 10:24:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

WEM wrote:
... Would this tek work with leaf sources? Like say... Psychotria viridis or nexus, or maybe Diplopterys cabrerana?...

A similar looking routine on chaliponga (but with ISO instead of drinking alkohol)
iso tek for chaliponga/leaf sources.

jamie started from a dried out vinegar-tea rather than mixing the raw material with sodium carb. Probably needing less sodium carb that way.

Doc Buxin
#117 Posted : 4/3/2015 6:31:04 PM

Pay No Mind

After much patient waiting, I have arrived at the end of the process.

The final pull is evaporating as you read this...

As much as I am trying to remain cool, calm & collected, I am ridiculously excited to bioassay some of this stuff!!!

Stay tuned fellow nexians; more than likely I'll have a report for you by Monday morning!Big grin
Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

Synkromystic
#118 Posted : 4/3/2015 8:58:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried this tek a few weeks ago. I found it worked well. I was able to get a very clean product very easily, but the yield was only half of what I got doing a standard A/B on the same material. This was the first time i've done the sodium carb iso tek, and I have many years of experience doing the standard A/B, so maybe that had something to do with the yields.

DreaMTripper
#119 Posted : 4/5/2015 5:26:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Im guessing your yields suffered because sodium carbonate is not a good base for lysing the material, I think calcium hydroxide would be better but it goes against the ethos behind the tek of easily obtained material. Maybe a longer soak in the acidic solution would make up for this?
One thing apparent is that the ethanol doesnt have to be anhydrous at the final paste and pull of the goo, sodium carbonate is insoluble in water at sub-zero temperatures but dmt is still soluble in ISO at those temperatures (and in ethanol too I would imagine) so you can simply leave the jar in the freezer to precipitate the sodium carbonate and then filter through a coffee filter.
Using a bowl and slowly evaporating the ISO will make the molecules find each other easier to improve the chances of getting a solid extract. It may still yield goo but because the ISO will reach a saturation point and in a concentrated area then precipitation may occur before it evaps completely resulting in a more solid extract.

Jees
#120 Posted : 4/5/2015 1:15:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DreaMTripper wrote:
...sodium carbonate is insoluble in water at sub-zero ...

Fahrenheit? (0 def F = -17.8 deg C , a freezer temp indeed)

At 0 deg C it's still near 6% soluble in water.

«PREV45678NEXT»