We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
L-dopa extraction from mucuna pruriens seeds Options

anonenium
#1 Posted : 3/13/2015 11:41:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Greetings

does anyone know about how you can extract L-dopa from ground up mucuna pruriens seeds?

i tried eating about 3 grams of seed today that were picked in the wild, seems like a good starting point given a recommendation that 30 grams is use for parkinsons disease based off a dosage claim on wikipedia.

not sure how they are suppose to behave needless to say i did not feel all that comfortable (although i know and expected that to happen given that i took some harmalas shortly before so i could insure i felt the full effect of them).

is their a simple means to extract the l-dopa from them (even if their are other secondary compounds) at home with more or less the regular chemistry set we use?

thank you very much for reading.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

MaNoMaNoM
#2 Posted : 3/13/2015 3:10:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Indigenous to India and Asia. SOURCE

Propagation is by seed sown into very well draining, sandy seeding mix. Water sparingly until established!! Note: We have found that old seed will inevitably rot in soil or sand mixes, starting with the seed coat, but taking over the seed before germination is complete. A fungicide suitable for seed treatment may inhibit this, but a more natural and highly successful method is to place the seeds in a tray with moist (but not wet!!) sphagnum moss at the bottom and over the top. The radicle will emerge within a couple of days and the shoot will follow within a few more days. Once the first couple of leaves have emerged, the seedling can be transplanted to the seeding mix for establishment.Fresh seed germinates within a few days and is not susceptible to rot.

Traditional uses

The seeds are ground and ingested in India and Mexico for powerful aphrodisiac effects. This purpose was also well documented in the Ayurvedic and Unani sciences. In ayurveda the seeds are also employed for parkinsons disease. The leaves can be smoked for mild tryptamine effects with a mild stoning after effect. The beans have often been proposed as an ayahuasca analog, however the validity of this is doubtful as we have not been able to find any DMT in the seed. It may well be that there are tryptamines in the husk/shell.

The hairs lining the pods contain serotonin and are very dangerous as they can cause servere irritations. In Africa these hairs were used to murder people by sprinkling them onto the food of the unsuspecting victim, who would then die from internal bleeding as the sharp hairs slice into the stomach and intestinal lining. These hairs make harvest and handling difficult until the seed is dehusked and polished.

In many countries with poor soil Mucuna is used to cultivate the soil and add nitrogen to it. Intercropping with Mucuna has been shown in scientific trials to increase yields by up to 100%, depending on the crop.

Pharmacology

Mucuna pruriens seeds have been found to contain between 4% and 9% of L-DOPA (dopamine precursor), as well as the bioactive alkaloids mucunine, mucunadine, mucuadinine, pruriendine and nicotine. The seeds with seed coat showed the presence of a number of bioactive subtances including tryptamine, alkylamines, steroids, flavonoids, coumarins, cardenolides, etc. Other sources state the presence of DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, Bufotenine and beta-carbolines.

The alkaloid extract of the seed has been shown to increase spermcount, testicle size and androgenic activity in rats. Furthermore it was shown in animal tests, that low doses caused an increase in motor-activity and decreased sleep time, while high doses caused a decrease in motor-activity and an increase in sleep time. Thus the drug possesses CNS stimulant effect at low doses and CNS depressant effect at high doses.

In 15 psychiatric patients, 15 g of of crude seed powder was found to significantly inhibit the prolactin response to chlorpromazine injection, as effectively as 0.5 g of L-dopa. No side effects were observed in these patients.

Sixty patients with Parkinsons disease were treated with M. pruriens in an open study for 12 weeks. Statistically significant reductions in Hoehn and Unified Parkinsons disease rating scale scores were seen form baseline to the end of 12 week treatment. Adverse effects were mild and were mainly gastro-intestinal in nature. L-DOPA is a neurotransmitter precursor, an effective drug for relief in Parkinsons disease. The seed of Mucuna pruriens is used as a prophylactic against oligospermia, for increasing sperm count in men or ovulation in women. It prevents male and female sterility and acts as a nervine tonic.

Pharmacology SOURCE

In addition to levodopa, it contains minor amounts of serotonin (5-HT), 5-HTP, nicotine, N,N-DMT (DMT), bufotenine, and 5-MeO-DMT. As such, it could potentially have psychedelic effects, and it has purportedly been used in ayahuasca preparations.[18]

The mature seeds of the plant contain about 3.1–6.1% L-DOPA,[12] with trace amounts of 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin), nicotine, DMT-n-oxide, bufotenine, 5-MeO-DMT-n-oxide, and beta-carboline.[19] One study using 36 samples of the seeds found no tryptamines present in them.[20]

The leaves contain about 0.5% L-DOPA, 0.006% dimethyltryptamine (DMT), 0.0025% 5-MeO-DMT and 0.003% DMT n-oxide.[21]

The ethanolic extract of leaves of Mucuna pruriens possesses anticataleptic and antiepileptic effect in albino rats. Dopamine and serotonin may have a role in such activity.[22]

Thumbs up

SO according to wiki, a simple ethanol (everclear) extract should do.
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

anonenium
#3 Posted : 3/14/2015 3:46:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

thank you for the responce MaNoMaNoM

im just trying to figure out all the options and what is viable, particularly because i dont heave ready access to ethanol thats not stained blue (or vodka).

would a two step dissimulation from acetone then dried out then ethanol from the remained of the acetone evaporate work? i can freeze distill some tiquila or vodka like i have done for changa in the past its just i dont want what ever i make stained blue.

thank you.