We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Fastest Way To Cook A/B? (Pressure Cooking) Options

fathomlessness
#1 Posted : 2/23/2015 1:44:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Can I cook in a Stainless Steel PC without using glass jars?

So far, people on this forum have only been using jars because the acid corrodes non-stainless stell pressure cookers.

Shaolin wrote:

Why should you try using a PC ?

1. More effective lysing of the cells due to higher temperature
2. Less volume to deal with, compared to usual boils
3. Less mess (you are using jars)
4. Faster than multiple boils

Mindlusion wrote:

it can reach a temperature of 121°C

This is not enough to destroy the alkaloids, but definitely enough to destroy the plant cells.

You could eventually reach the results of a pressure cooker with hours upon hours of strenuous open atmosphere boiling.

lyseing the cells efficiently even makes the extraction a lot more manageable, you can reduce the amount of water needed. Really you could just boil it, Using a pressure cooker greatly speeds up the time, and it liquidates it

Using a pressure cooker (PC)

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

tydel24
#2 Posted : 2/23/2015 5:22:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So less volume? Not as much reducing?

fathomlessness
#3 Posted : 2/24/2015 4:02:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tydel24 wrote:
So less volume? Not as much reducing?

No, more volume & same amount of reducing.

A lot of pressure cookers are very large! You reduce your pressure cooked water in another pot at the same time.

tydel24
#4 Posted : 2/24/2015 5:02:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So you PC your bark at least a couple of times?

superturkey
#5 Posted : 2/24/2015 9:43:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm just gonna throw a spanner in the works and say. What about extractions without any boiling at all.
My first extraction ever I didn't boil, just freeze/thawed to 60 degrees x 3 and had good yields.

My point is has anyone compared two exact same extractions with the same bark and just removed the boiling process? It would save a lot of mucking around to remove the boiling process altogether.

fathomlessness
#6 Posted : 2/25/2015 2:15:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You guys arn't answering my question!

tydel24 wrote:
So you PC your bark at least a couple of times?

Yes, around 30 mins each boil instead of 1-2 hours.

superturkey wrote:
I'm just gonna throw a spanner in the works and say. What about extractions without any boiling at all.
My first extraction ever I didn't boil, just freeze/thawed to 60 degrees x 3 and had good yields.

My point is has anyone compared two exact same extractions with the same bark and just removed the boiling process? It would save a lot of mucking around to remove the boiling process altogether.

That's a different topic but majority think boiling helps alkaloid migrate out of the plant matter. But from the link, it shows there snot much difference. Also, If you really want to can boiling you could try STB.

Q21 side by side. (Acid boiling vs Not)

superturkey
#7 Posted : 2/25/2015 8:12:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, thats an interesting read. Makes me question though why would you go to the trouble of a PC if heating the acidification process is questionably necessary? I understand its worth an experiment though.

superturkey
#8 Posted : 2/25/2015 8:15:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh and yes, back to your question. Stainless if fine for acidification. Definitely not aluminium. But you probably know that..

fathomlessness
#9 Posted : 2/26/2015 1:48:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

superturkey wrote:

Thanks, thats an interesting read. Makes me question though why would you go to the trouble of a PC if heating the acidification process is questionably necessary? I understand its worth an experiment though.

Because I am not using finely powdered bark.

gibran2 wrote:
If you’re referring to MHRB whole bark or shredded bark, a boil is necessary. If you’re using powdered bark, only warm water with a bit of vinegar is sufficient:

fathomlessness
#10 Posted : 2/26/2015 1:50:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

superturkey wrote:
Oh and yes, back to your question. Stainless if fine for acidification. Definitely not aluminium. But you probably know that..

Ok I will try it and post results on Pressure Cooking vs Open-Air Boiling

fathomlessness
#11 Posted : 3/6/2015 12:08:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok so I gave it a shot, one thing I noticed was that one the second cook the open air cooked bark still had vinegar smell and I added freshwater and still got a low ph... now, on the pressure cooked bark all traces were gone and I had to add more vinegar.

This suggest the pressure really gets into the plant manterial more than just boiling as it is up 30-50 degrees higher than standard cooking methods plus the 15 psi pressure.

The upside also is it cooks much faster, about half and hour and heats up faster. Plus no vinegar smell in the kitchen because you take the pot outside to vent it out and depressurize.

The downside is, you have to turn the heat down after 5 minutes to get the right psi. You don't get to stir it but I suppose the pressure takes care of it.

Hydrochloric acid left some stains in my stainless steel PC.

hope that helps anyone!

AIRDOG
#12 Posted : 4/3/2016 8:07:41 AM
Padawan

1) can one safely PC the MHRB using water only; and

b) will pressure and extra heat in the PC be enough to migrate spice into plain water into reasonable amounts to make an extraction excercise with good yield? saying PCing 3x@30min??

Is aluminium really that bad with dilute vinegar?? i have seen inconsistent opinions on the subject..

DansMaTete
#13 Posted : 4/3/2016 12:45:44 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

AIRDOG wrote:

b) needs to process 10 kgs MHRB

A bit of reading from rules of nexus etiquette :
No commercial-scaled extractions and reckless “spreading”

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

pitubo
#14 Posted : 4/3/2016 2:05:59 PM

dysfunctional word machine

AIRDOG, you've been registered here for years and you still don't grasp the simple facts of the nexus attitude requirements? My thumbs up for you goes back to undecided again.

Apart from that...

Tell your "neighboor" that he'll need a huuuge pressure cooker, or else the mhrb will cake down on the bottom and form a thick black crust. You^H^H^HHe will smell it readily when opening the pressure cooker after the boil. The plant material needs to swim in copious boiling water or be stirred constantly in order to prevent caking and burning.

Just stick with the tried and true 100 gram extractions and all will be fine.

downwardsfromzero
#15 Posted : 4/7/2016 11:21:50 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Aren't jars used also to prevent matter from clogging the steam vents, thereby helping to avoid a catastrophic explosion?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli