We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
dmt storage in grain alcohol or napatha? which is best? Options

starway6
#1 Posted : 3/3/2015 11:10:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive been storing my Acacia tincture in a safe grain alcohol for some time because its so convienient this way...

I dont feel its harming the molecule ..but then again im not
perfectly shure..

A post recently claimed that evaporating the alcohol in the tincture may degrade the dmt some when it hits the air?

Instead he claimed that storage in napatha will do no harm to the molecule at all...

I now have fresh napatha pulls saturated with crystals and the crystals remain in crystal form laying in bottom of jar..

Alcohol will desolve any dmt crystals ..right away.. but suspends it well..

Any bright chemists here have an opinion on this subject?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 3/4/2015 8:48:57 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

What post is this you're referring to? I did a quick search and yours was the only post that came up!

Oxygen is rather less soluble in alcohol than it is in naphtha (look here on page 8 of the pdf, or page 170 of the journal. Compare ethanol values with any of the saturated hydrocarbon values.)

I think you're better off sticking with the alcohol as it's more 'food grade' than naphtha ever is.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

pitubo
#3 Posted : 3/4/2015 1:19:33 PM

dysfunctional word machine

One slight disadvantage over naphtha is ethanol's tendency to absorb water.

Otherwise, I think that your idea of keeping the DMT in an ethanolic tincture for the purpose of both "low profile" storage and easy dosing is a great innovation.

Many people do not have a milligram scale (and most of the cheap scales should not be given too much confidence either). If one is able to measure DMT at the scale of 1 gram +/- 0.1 gram (meaning 10% uncertainty), then dissolving that quantity of DMT in an amount of ethanol equivalent to 100 drops means that 1 drop of tincture will hold between 9 and 11 milligrams of DMT. This is of course assuming that one can produce drops with a reasonable consistency in volume. If a small volume syringe or analytical pipette is used, very good accuracy is attainable, probably much better than most cheap milligram scales can give in actual real practice.

starway6
#4 Posted : 3/4/2015 5:22:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
What post is this you're referring to? I did a quick search and yours was the only post that came up!

Oxygen is rather less soluble in alcohol than it is in naphtha (look here on page 8 of the pdf, or page 170 of the journal. Compare ethanol values with any of the saturated hydrocarbon values.)

I think you're better off sticking with the alcohol as it's more 'food grade' than naphtha ever is.

Thanks..I was just concerned about gradual deterioration of the spice over time..

I do like to store it in grain alcohol because of its so convienent...and it can be a problem storing it in crystal form..

starway6
#5 Posted : 3/4/2015 5:28:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

pitubo wrote:
One slight disadvantage over naphtha is ethanol's tendency to absorb water.

Otherwise, I think that your idea of keeping the DMT in an ethanolic tincture for the purpose of both "low profile" storage and easy dosing is a great innovation.

Many people do not have a milligram scale (and most of the cheap scales should not be given too much confidence either). If one is able to measure DMT at the scale of 1 gram +/- 0.1 gram (meaning 10% uncertainty), then dissolving that quantity of DMT in an amount of ethanol equivalent to 100 drops means that 1 drop of tincture will hold between 9 and 11 milligrams of DMT. This is of course assuming that one can produce drops with a reasonable consistency in volume. If a small volume syringe or analytical pipette is used, very good accuracy is attainable, probably much better than most cheap milligram scales can give in actual real practice.

I like alcohol storage a lot .. its very easy and ..LOW PROFILE.. and easy to dose and in safe grain alcohol could be used oraly..

The way mine is mixed its holding between one and three mgs of dmt per drop..using small dropper..

Its interesting how saturated napatha alows the crystals to remain in crystal form but alcohol desolves it imeadiatly?

pitubo
#6 Posted : 3/4/2015 9:35:14 PM

dysfunctional word machine

starway6 wrote:
I like alcohol storage a lot .. its very easy and ..LOW PROFILE.. and easy to dose and in safe grain alcohol could be used oraly..

It's not just the presence tincture that is low profile, it is also the absense of a milligram scale that is low profile.

starway6 wrote:
Its interesting how saturated napatha alows the crystals to remain in crystal form but alcohol desolves it imeadiatly?

Ethanol is a very good solvent for freebase DMT, much better than naphtha. The advantages of naphtha are its selectivity and its immiscibility with water. Those are useful qualities in an extraction procedure. As a general purpose solvent ethanol is better. Less toxic, quicker to evaporate and less conspicuous in most households.