We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Properties of Laboratory Plastics Options

NamRa
#1 Posted : 2/26/2015 4:54:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi.

Its almost time to start some extractions but before I start I need some new beakers of different volumes.
There is noting to find in the second hand market so I started looking at the site of my chems supplier.

The beakers they sell are made out of PMP (Polymethylpentene) and they dont have any it in glass.
Then I wondered if this PMP is safe to use in high base conditions or with solvents.

This brought me to this article.
http://www.labdepotinc.c...laboratory-plastics.html

Polymethylpentene (PMP or TPX) PMP or TPX is highly transparent, resistant to impact, extremely rigid and it will withstand temperatures of up to 200 degrees C for short periods and 180 degrees C continuously.
It may be autoclaved. It is particularly useful in the manufacture of volumetric apparatus such as flasks, beakers and measuring cylinders.
It is susceptible to attack by strong oxidizing agents over long periods of time and some chlorinated solvents may cause swelling or softening.
PMP has excellent resistance to acids, bases, alcohols, minerals oils, and good resistance to aldehydes and esters.
Only limited resistance is evident with hydrocarbons, ketones and oxidizing agents.
Polypropylene (PP) PP is a translucent plastic that exhibits excellent mechanical properties.
One major advantage of this type of laboratory plastic is its higher temperature resistance which is 135 degrees C.
It is autoclaveable. Although largely unreactive chemically the presence of the methyl groups makes it slightly more susceptible to attack by strong oxidizing agents than HDPE. PP has excellent chemical resistance to acids, bases, alcohols, minerals oils, and minor attack from aldehydes, esters, ketones and aliphatic hydrocarbons -

Is PMP safe to use ?

Thanks

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Dead man
#2 Posted : 2/26/2015 5:37:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

NamRa wrote:

Only limited resistance is evident with hydrocarbons, ketones and oxidizing agents.

Most solvent used in DMT extraction are hydrocarbons (Naphtha, Xylene, Toluene etc)
Any reason you want to order from that site particularly? A quick search will turn up plenty of glass labware online... No need for pyrex either (any glass will do). Glass measuring jugs (for cooking) will do even, and you can always use glass jars/bottles as a last resort.
He who sees the infinite in all things sees God. He who sees the ratio only sees himself only. -William Blake There is no natural religion.
People in the past never lived in ecological balance with nature, they died in ecological balance with nature -Hans Rosling
Nothing is something worth doing -Sphongle

NamRa
#3 Posted : 2/27/2015 1:05:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks.

So what you are saying is.

No, they are not safe (enough).

GLASS IS THE ONLY BEST !!

concombres
#4 Posted : 2/27/2015 2:23:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

NamRa wrote:
Thanks.

^ what i got from the phthalates thread was that even with plastics resistant to hydrocarbons you still get contamination.
The plastic itself (if resistant to the solvent used) is not what causes the contamination.
It's the plasticizers used to make it either hard or pliable that get dissolved.

I have quite a few full range bomex & pyrex beaker sets as well as erlenmeyer sets.
Unfortunately the nature of what we discuss here makes sharing personal details risky.
If it wasn't for that i'd be happy to share my excess equipment free of charge.

catfrog
#5 Posted : 3/4/2015 4:19:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some plastics are more resistant than others, but as far as I know there is no plastic on the Earth that will not start to dissolve (at least a little) in nonpolar solvents like those used here. Remember "like dissolves like". Plastics are organic polymers and are very nonpolar.

Stick with glass. You don't even need lab glass. Anything made out of glass will work great.

I've never heard of anybody using beakers to extract. You want something that you can seal up like a bottle or jar.

1ce
#6 Posted : 3/4/2015 5:40:25 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

catfrog wrote:
Some plastics are more resistant than others, but as far as I know there is no plastic on the Earth that will not start to dissolve (at least a little) in nonpolar solvents like those used here. Remember "like dissolves like". Plastics are organic polymers and are very nonpolar.

Stick with glass. You don't even need lab glass. Anything made out of glass will work great.

I've never heard of anybody using beakers to extract. You want something that you can seal up like a bottle or jar.

I guess we haven't met before..

Hello! My username is 1ce, how very pleasant to meet you!

1ce
#7 Posted : 3/4/2015 5:43:44 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

NamRa wrote:
Thanks.

Here I thought it was stainless steel, my mistake.

starway6
#8 Posted : 3/4/2015 4:23:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I understand the concern about plastics but...Ive been using [GLASS CONTAINERS] with small plastic lids..usualy vinegar bottles..

I have noticed that some ..[lid cap liners].. used in storage of light acids like vinegar eventualy show some minor evedence of deterioration after enough contact with the extraction soup..

If any real health risk is there .im not shure?...but how can plastic molecules latch on to a DMT molecule?

A DMT molecule is just that ..and plastic molecules are diferent and should not a cling to the DMT molecule...

I would think a good wash or cleanup should remove trace chemicles that may have leached into the extraction...

And after a good freeze percip] and a good drying of crystals should result in a fairly safe product...

I am only going by common sense ..and not a chemist at all..

Now not shure about full spectrum goo though?

If im incorect PLEASE correct me...