We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Antibiotic Properties of Harmalas in Caapi/Syrian Rue Options

lyserge
#1 Posted : 2/18/2012 9:49:09 AM

polyfather anomalous

"Physician, heal thyself" - Luke 4:23, attributed to Jesus, but probably a common saying amongst the Jews of the time period...

I've recently been experimenting with using the Syrian Rue seeds, as well as a mild tea made from sky Caapi vine, to rid myself of bacterial ailments from food poisoning, ground water (giardia?), and other sources. (due to life circumstances I've been exposed to bacteria I'm not used to, from a genetic standpoint). The results have been no short of astounding - I find these are miracle medicines that very quickly have cured everything to which I've been exposed. They feel very gentle on the body, unlike some of the industrial-strength antibiotics which I've been prescribed (which may have their uses on certain strong bacteria as well). The amount of Syrian Rue seeds I use (approximately 1 teaspoon) also has a gentle but noticeable mental effect - I feel clear minded and in a positive mood, as if serotonin is being released.

A quick google search shows that biologists have confirmed the antibacterial properties of harmine and other harmala alkaloids. I want to bring this up since much of the discussion regarding the uses of the seeds and the vine focuses on their "spiritual" or psychotropic (or textile-dying) properties. They clearly have concrete, measurable, physical benefits as well. Thank "the gods" or DNA for these life-giving medicines.
"...I didn't know that Cheshire cats always grinned; in fact, I didn't know that cats could grin..." - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Hyperdimensional Cuttlefish
#2 Posted : 2/18/2012 12:11:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yep. Using a harmala nose spray every day seems to have cut down on my susceptibility to colds/flu this season as well.
All these posts are on behalf of Stimpy, my yellow bullhead. He is an adventurous fish, and I feel his exploits are worth sharing...so much so, I occasionally forget that HE is the one who does these things. Sometimes I get caught in the moment and write of his experiences in the first person; this is a mistake, for I am an upstanding citizen who never does wrong. Stimpy is the degenerate.

lyserge
#3 Posted : 2/18/2012 12:26:45 PM

polyfather anomalous

More information, in the form of an abstract from a 2008 paper in Phytotherapy Research:

"In the present study the antimicrobial potential of various extracts from 12 medicinal plants has been investigated in vitro on multiple antibiotic resistant pathogens and some selected protozoa isolated from poultry. The initial examination was performed on E. coli (n = 10) using disc and agar well diffusion assays. Only two plants, Peganum harmala (seeds) and Eucalyptus globulus (leaves) showed positive responses...Only Peganum harmala was found to inhibit the growth of all bacteria and protozoa at 0.38–1.55 mg/mL and 0.63–1.65 mg/mL, respectively...Harmaline was found to be in the highest concentration followed by harmine and harmalol, whereas harmane could not be detected. The activity of the pure alkaloids was in the order harmane > harmaline > harmalol ≥ harmine for all bacteria, while for protozoa, it was different depending on the microorganism. It is concluded that Peganum harmala or its alkaloids could probably be used for the control of antibiotic resistant isolates of bacteria as well as protozoa."

They conclude that Syrian Rue could be used against antibiotic resistant bacteria found in chickens, implying that it is in a sense more potent than the antibiotics typically used for bacterial control.

I'm curious if anyone on here as experience/anecdotes about the applications of Syrian Rue/Caapi as antibacterial medicines. Cat's Claw/Uña de gato is another plant that may have applications in this area.
"...I didn't know that Cheshire cats always grinned; in fact, I didn't know that cats could grin..." - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

lyserge
#4 Posted : 2/18/2012 12:30:48 PM

polyfather anomalous

Hyperdimensional Cuttlefish wrote:
Yep. Using a harmala nose spray every day seems to have cut down on my susceptibility to colds/flu this season as well.

Oh wow, a harmala nose spray. Is this something you made yourself, or procured pre-made from a supplier?

RhythmSpring
#5 Posted : 3/4/2015 5:56:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is friggin' awesome. This knowledge should be SO much more widespread than it is. Pharmaceutical antibiotics need to be a thing of the past, for the most part.

My question is, though, are harmalas non-discriminatory antibiotics? Or do they preserve the good bacteria, somehow? I'm worried about eliminating my intestinal flora with frequent use of Syrian Rue...
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Chan
#6 Posted : 3/4/2015 12:26:01 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Quote:
My question is, though, are harmalas non-discriminatory antibiotics?

That's doubtful. Many keys and locks are involved in antibiotic activity, and no single phyto-compound could kill everything. Nature prefers synergy to magic bullets. Besides, the legendary good health of the curanderos suggests their GI tracts are just fine.

If you're still concerned, look into kombucha. Have been brewing over a year now and never felt so good, with zero infections to boot.
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

null24
#7 Posted : 3/6/2015 3:45:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Wouldn't regular dosing of an antibiotic negate any benefits over time, as illness causing bacteria develop immunity, or? ??
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

pitubo
#8 Posted : 3/6/2015 5:56:11 PM

dysfunctional word machine

In Afghanistan, syrian rue is used not only as a sacramental incense, but also as a panacea against various ailments. On a holiday I once greatly delighted a friend of afghani origin living in Iceland by bringing some bags of "Esphand", which I easily bought in an asian store in my home town, but which is unobtainable in Icelandic shops. This person was completely unaware of the other uses of syrian rue and its related online availability in certain webshops.

In conversation, I learned that the traditional therapeutic dose is far lower than what is employed typically for entheogenic purposes. One teaspoon or less, daily, in case of malady.

RhythmSpring
#9 Posted : 3/9/2015 8:32:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

pitubo wrote:
In conversation, I learned that the traditional therapeutic dose is far lower than what is employed typically for entheogenic purposes. One teaspoon or less, daily, in case of malady.

You mean, "Whoever drinks the ḥarmal for forty mornings every day in a certain measure, his heart shall be illuminated by wisdom, and he shall be cured from seventy-two maladies the least which is leprosy"?
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

FiniteFox
#10 Posted : 3/29/2015 3:28:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

RhythmSpring wrote:
pitubo wrote:

You mean, "Whoever drinks the ḥarmal for forty mornings every day in a certain measure, his heart shall be illuminated by wisdom, and he shall be cured from seventy-two maladies the least which is leprosy"?

Any personal experience with a 40 day dosing? Do tell.

Jees
#11 Posted : 3/29/2015 2:07:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From the file attached:
Quote:
...One of other important features of P. harmala alkaloids is their
bactericidal activity that is comparable with that of common
antibiotics,...
...It is concluded that P. harmala and its alkaloids could probably be
used for the control of antibiotic resistant isolates of bacteria.

Xagan
#12 Posted : 3/29/2015 6:12:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting thread, maybe another tool in my box for my ongoing battle with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, as I refuse to have to consume pharmaceutical antibiotics on a regular basis. Kombucha interests me too, but the alcohol content worries me a bit, even though it is minimal. Nattō is a Japanese fermented food which is another option, it's fermented with bacillus subtilis which is a proven probiotic.

universecannon
#13 Posted : 3/29/2015 8:23:30 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

It's incredible how underrated harmalas are. The psychological/medicinal benefits are looking pretty vast. There's a significant amount of studies on them so far.

Spiritofspice wrote:
Rue tea made with 4g of seeds will cure a tooth infection in a day or two.

Do any of you guys that regularly dose with rue notice sore kidneys in the first few days.

Nope

FiniteFox wrote:
RhythmSpring wrote:
pitubo wrote:

Any personal experience with a 40 day dosing? Do tell.

Others and myself here took either rue, caapi, or freebase harmalas daily for a very long time, usually in active doses. I wasn't fighting any kind of known ailment, but it definitely felt amazing and the psychological effects became very interesting. I did use caapi once after some food poisoning and that seemed to help a lot.

Here's another thread on this quote from Mohammad https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=62303

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

RhythmSpring
#14 Posted : 3/31/2015 2:51:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I still wanna know if I'm putting my gut microbiome in or out of balance by taking harmalas/ayahuasca frequently.

It has made me extra sensitive to anything remotely fermentable. NO beans, and not even raw lettuce--that somehow makes me bloat and gives me terrible (TERRIBLE) gas.

I can swallow probiotics, but they are a temporary solution--they don't "stick."
I can't take fermented foods, as the littlest bit will interact negatively with the Ayahuasca healing process I'm doing and give me gas and pain. I used to be able to take them, but now, no.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I swear, once the weather gets warmer I'm gonna roll around in the dirt and eat it.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

universecannon
#15 Posted : 3/31/2015 2:56:22 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

That's strange because I eat a lot of fermented foods like kimchi and raw greens, but I haven't had any issues with harmalas/caapi/rue. So when you take fermented foods on their own, you don't have any of those issues? What if you wait a day between them?

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

RhythmSpring
#16 Posted : 3/31/2015 4:01:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Without the harmalas/Ayahuasca, it's not as bad, but it's still pretty gas-tastic, an unusual amount of it.

It's weird, because about 4 years ago, I started eating raw fermented foods and it had a FANTASTIC effect on my digestion. Then, I took a break for about a year. When I got back to it, though, I just couldn't handle it. I don't know what changed... I didn't take antibiotics or anything.

I did go to Peru, though. Hmmm.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Synkromystic
#17 Posted : 3/31/2015 5:47:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

RhythmSpring wrote:
Without the harmalas/Ayahuasca, it's not as bad, but it's still pretty gas-tastic, an unusual amount of it.

I did go to Peru, though. Hmmm.

I am currently struggling with gas problems. It's strange how it comes in phases. I can be fine for weeks or months, but then if I throw something out of balance it comes back.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit....It could be that the harmalas and Ayahuasca (EDIT: If ayahuasca is brewed without acid it will have a higher ph) are raising the ph of your stomach and the food taken after does not get broken down sufficiently. If there is not enough hcl acid produced in the stomach, then the proper digestive enzymes will not be activated and the food will be left undigested. When undigested food makes its way down into the colon, it is then digested/fermented by bacteria there and causes gas. This can be a problem if the bacteria slowly make their way up into the small intestine. This is a very difficult complex problem to solve, and requires a delicate balance. I recently threw mine out of balance after weeks of perfect digestion. I took too much magnesium over the course of a a few days which had a laxative effect making the food pass too quickly through my intestines...now i'm paying for it, every 15 minutes, nearly all day and night...lol Embarrased

Jees
#18 Posted : 3/31/2015 7:46:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Synkromystic wrote:
...(If ayahuasca is brewed with acid it will have a higher ph) are raising the ph of your stomach and the food taken after does not get broken down sufficiently...

Rolling eyes a little brain lapse there: all acids are lower than pH 7, so they won't neutralize stomach acid.
The colon bacteria spectrum, as you say, might indeed be key here.

Synkromystic
#19 Posted : 3/31/2015 4:32:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
Synkromystic wrote:
...(If ayahuasca is brewed with acid it will have a higher ph) are raising the ph of your stomach and the food taken after does not get broken down sufficiently...

Rolling eyes a little brain lapse there: all acids are lower than pH 7, so they won't neutralize stomach acid.
The colon bacteria spectrum, as you say, might indeed be key here.

I meant ''without''. It was a typo

RhythmSpring
#20 Posted : 3/31/2015 6:53:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ayahuasca seems to *improve* my digestion of everything else quite dramatically. Well, at least protein. Increased intestinal motility up the wazzu!
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

12NEXT