We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ibogaine in Star Jasmine???? Options

wearepeople
#1 Posted : 12/27/2012 7:35:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi All,

On Wikipedia's List of Psychoactive Plants, Star Jasmine is listed as containing Ibogaine.

The Cited Source. Does anyone speak/read German?

Can anyone attest to the validity/invalidity of this claim?
wearepeople attached the following image(s):
ibo-wiki.bmp (222kb) downloaded 288 time(s).
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

wearepeople
#2 Posted : 12/27/2012 7:41:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, Here's an interesting post from Austrial Ethnobotany:

Star Jasmine -- Ibogaine
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

wearepeople
#3 Posted : 12/27/2012 8:04:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oooops, I see that this is all being discussed here:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=39069

I have two of these plants in my front yard!

They smell great in the Spring.

MaNoMaNoM
#4 Posted : 9/20/2013 9:02:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

YES, thank you for making this post! I didn't want to do it.
It is being discussed in a thread that i cannot post in yet.

This plant is growing all over the place, here in the southeast!

"QUOTE The meddling monk:
The chinese Star Jasmine is also interesting (although in a different family to other jasmines) .

Quote:

"In essence, 50 kg of apparently fresh leaves and stems were extracted and purified to obtain 20 grams of a mixture of alkaloids, a major one of which was ibogaine."

"(There are) four indole alkaloids, namely ibogaine, tabernaemontanine, vobasine, and voacangine-7-hydroxyindolenine, (that) have been isolated (in Star Jasmine)."

Pharmacology
The main alkaloid found in the leaves and stems of Trachelospermum jasminoides is ibogaine, along with tabernaemontanine, vobasine and voacangine-7-hydroxyindolenine (this last one is possibly an extraction artefact). The total alkaloid content is about 0.04%, but no percentages were given for the separate alkaloids. There is at least one anecdotal reference of a researcher ingesting a quantity of seeds of this species, resulting in strong effects (no more details than that known). We have never seen this plant seed though.

Interesting.

BTW - all of those alkaloids are good stuff.

Read more: drugsforum star jasmine disscussion

Quote:
The main alkaloid found in the leaves and stems of Trachelospermum jasminoides is ibogaine, along with tabernaemontanine, vobasine and voacangine-7-hydroxyindolenine (this last one is possibly an extraction artefact). The total alkaloid content is about 0.04%, but no percentages were given for the separate alkaloids. There is at least one anecdotal reference of a researcher ingesting a quantity of seeds of this species, resulting in strong effects (no more details than that known).
http://www.shaman-austra...ndex.php?showtopic=1774

Big grin

Small amounts of ibogaine are found in Voacanga Africana root bark.
:Reported to contain voacangine (carbomethoxy-ibogaine), ibogamin, plus many other unidentified alkaloids in the root & trunk bark, leaves and seeds. The total alkaloid fraction is said to be slightly toxic, acting as CNS depressants & hypotensives
(:NOTICE THE SWIRLSPleased

SOURCE
Star Jasmine, also known as Chinese Star Jasmine, Confederate Jasmine, or Trachelospermum Jasminoides. This plant is completely legal in the United States and is often grown and used for its appealing fragrance. It is even reportedly easy to grow. The problem, as there always is, is that the Ibogaine alkaloid content is very small; Shaman Australis (below) puts it at around 0.04%

Reprinted from Entheogen.com:

Ibogaine from Trachelospermum jasminoides

(Star Jasmine)

"Leaves and stems (50 kg) were dried in the shade and extracted with ethanol. The crude alcoholic extracts were concentrated and partitioned between 10% hydrochloric acid and chloroform (pH 1). The chloroform layer was dried with anhydrous sodium sulfate and concentrated to a gum (25 g, F1). The aqueous acidic layer was basified with aqueous ammonia and extracted into chloroform at various pH values (5, 7, 9, and 11). The fraction obtained at pH-5 (20 g, F2) was found to contain major alkaloids. We have recently reported five indole alkaloids from this plant (2)."

"The crude alkaloidal fraction (F1, 25 g) was subjected to flash chromatography. [...] The alkaloid isolated was identified as voacangine-7-hydroxyindolenine by comparison of its spectral data with those reported in the literature (3). [...] Voacangine-7-hydroxyindolenine may have been formed by air oxidation during the extraction and isolation process."

"Fraction F2 (20 g) was also loaded on a silica column (750 g) and was eluted with increasing polarities of mixtures of petroleum ether, chloroform, ethyl acetate, and methanol." "The fraction obtained on elution with chloroform:ethyl acetate (3:1) consisted of a mixture of four alkaloids. This fraction was subjected to a flash chromatography which was eluted with increasing polarities of mixtures of petroleum ether in acetone. The fraction obtained on elution with 70% petroleum ether in acetone was found to contain two major alkaloids. These alkaloids were separated by preparative TLC on silica gel (petroleum ether:acetone:ammonia, 6:3.95:0.05). The faster moving alkaloid was identified as ibogaine by comparison of its spectral data with those reported in the literature (7) while the slower moving alkaloid was identified as tabernaemontanine (Cool."

"Further elution of the same column with 60% petroleum ether in acetone afforded another alkaloid which was further purified by preparative TLC on silica gel (petroleum ether:acetone:ammonia, 1:1:0

Editor's Notes: The above extraction my be incomplete - this is the most complete form I could find for it, though - please do not attempt until further research is completed.

Reprinted from Shaman Australis Botanicals:

Botanical information
An evergreen vine, it grows to a height of 7m. The stem is woody and branching; the leaves are green, ovate-acuminate and thick; the flowers are white, star shaped, fragrant , 5 petalled and invurving, occurring in terminal clusters.
A native of S China, it is adaptable to most soils in an open, sunny position, and is frost resistant but drought tender.
Propagation is by cuttings taken in spring.

Traditional uses
None reported.

Pharmacology
The main alkaloid found in the leaves and stems of Trachelospermum jasminoides is ibogaine, along with tabernaemontanine, vobasine and voacangine-7-hydroxyindolenine (this last one is possibly an extraction artefact). The total alkaloid content is about 0.04%, but no percentages were given for the separate alkaloids. There is at least one anecdotal reference of a researcher ingesting a quantity of seeds of this species, resulting in strong effects (no more details than that known). We have never seen this plant seed though.

FURTHER INFO ON FORUMS:
Lycaeum extraction tek
Lyceaum iboga index
Micotopia
eboka
BlueLight
iboga tribe.net

One more thing that is just kindof curious.. i was walking around outside one night when i
noticed that sweet flowery smell of DMT, and found it was coming from all the star jasmine.
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

Kash
#5 Posted : 9/21/2013 9:40:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

Brilliant, this is good info thanks.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

jamie
#6 Posted : 9/21/2013 7:08:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I have looked into this a couple times over the last 2 years and talked to some people, and it seems like it is a really low % in the plant and mostly made up of other iboga alkaloids and there is issues with possible toxicity.

Still I want to get a plant and I wonder about 10x leaf extracts added to changa or something.
Long live the unwoke.

doodlekid
#7 Posted : 9/23/2013 1:39:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Iboga: The Visionary Root of African Shamanism by Vicent Ravalec, Mellendi, and Agnès Paicheler

Erowid review

This book has a chapter on plants containing ibogain and mentions Star Jasmine - if I remember correctly. It also mentions a few other plants as well.

Mandukeya
#8 Posted : 3/2/2015 11:56:18 AM

Shamanic Engineer

TO me it looks like this is the same plant that is called Tabernaemontana sananho in other threads here. There are a ton of confusion about Sananho/Sanango and I guess I'm adding to it now, or not.

Vendors are charging an arm and a leg for T Sananho so it would be interesting to know if these are actually the same plant as the star jasmine seems abundant.

Chan
#9 Posted : 3/2/2015 12:37:56 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

From The Garden of Eden:

Quote:
Trachelospermum asiaticum (Sieb. et Zucc.) Nakai (T. asiaticum
var. brevisepalum (C.K. Schneid.) Tsiang; T. divaricatum var. brevisepalum C.K. Schneid.; T. foetidum (Matsum. et Nakai) Nakai; T. gracilipes Hook. f.; T. jasminoides ssp. foetidum Matsum. et Nakai; T. lanyuense C.E. Chang; T. siamense Craib; Malouetia asiatica Sieb. et Zucc.; Melodinus cavaleriei H. Lév.) – luo shi teng, teikakazura
Trachelospermum jasminoides (Lindl.) Lem. (T. adnascens Hance; T. divaricatum Thunb.; Rhynchospermum jasminoides Lindl.) – Chinese star jasmine, star jasmine, confederate jasmine, luo shi teng
The dried, leafy stem of ‘luo shi teng’ [usually T. jasminoides, or T. asi- aticum] is used in TCM in a dose of 5-10g, to relax rigid muscles, stop bleeding, and restore the normal flow of vital energy. It also acts as a tonic, analgesic and emmenagogue (Huang 1993; Keys 1976). The plant is used in Indian and Pakistani folk medicine to treat rheumatism, wounds, gonorrhoea, sciatica, carcinomas and viper bites; the seeds have haemostatic and cardiotonic properties (Rahman et al. 1987). In India, T. fragrans [‘dudhi’] is used as a substitute for ‘dita’, Alstonia scholaris (Nadkarni 1976).
Bioassays of a crude T. asiaticum [leaves and stems] extract, which was obtained in low yield, showed mild empathogenic or stimulant activ- ity. At the dose that filled one ‘vegicap’, the extract showed empathogen- ic activity similar to low-dose ibogaine. Variation existed between different batches, with some appearing inactive, and others becoming so after a few days, possibly due to the auto-oxidation that is common in iboga alkaloids (theobromus pers. comm.). An extract of T. jasminoides [dose not stated] produced effects which were described as “quite psychedelic”, but also “awful” – disturbing fluctuations in blood pressure were noted, as well as disturbed vision and moments of unconsciousness. Several days were re- quired before the psychonaut felt normal again. Smaller doses of the same extract had a mild and pleasant effect (Torsten pers. comm.).
T. asiaticum leaves and stems have yielded pregnane glycosides, in- cluding teikaside A [0.002%] as a major component, as well as lignans (Abe & Yamauchi 1981). T. asiaticum var. intermedium stems have yield- ed scopoletin, vanillic acid, and the lignans arctigenin, matairesinol, tra- chelogenin, nortrachelogenin and (2R,3R)2-4”-OH-3”-MeO-benzyl-3- 3’,4’,5’-trimethoxybenzyl-butyrolactone (Nishibe et al. 1981). Neither of these plants seems to have been analysed for alkaloids, though they poten- tially contain alkaloids similar to those found in T. jasminoides.
T. jasminoides has been found to yield several indole alkaloids [0.09% from leaves and stems], consisting of ibogaine, tabernaemontanine, vobasi- ne and voacangine-7-OH-indolenine (Rahman et al. 198Cool; another study found instead coronaridine, voacangine, apparicine, conoflorine and 19- epi-voacangarine [see also Tabernaemontana, Voacanga] (Rahman et al. 1987). The herb has also yielded glycosides and other compounds – arctiin, dambonitol, tracheloside, nortracheloside, matairesinoside, matairesinol-4,4’-di-O--D-glucopyranoside, nortrachelogenin-4,4’-di- O--D-glucopyranoside and arctigenin-4’--gentiobioside (Buckingham et al. ed. 1994; Huang 1993; Nishibe et al. 1971b).
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

Intezam
#10 Posted : 3/4/2015 11:07:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mandukeya wrote:

TO me it looks like this is the same plant that is called Tabernaemontana sananho in other threads here. There are a ton of confusion about Sananho/Sanango and I guess I'm adding to it now, or not.

Vendors are charging an arm and a leg for T Sananho so it would be interesting to know if these are actually the same plant as the star jasmine seems abundant.

Tabernaemontana sananho is not the same as trachelospermum jasminoides. Anyways, tabernaemontana divaricata from India and tabernaemontana undulata (becchete) are both used as an eye tonic.....There is also other (unrelated-non-dogbane) plants that are called "sanango" (chiric sanango)

BubbleCat
#11 Posted : 3/10/2015 5:17:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow ! Coll find in post #4

Because of the OP asking I dont want to withhold a translation Very happy The really relevant part is this:

"Zur Giftigkeit:
Im Sternjasmin wurden diverse Alkaloide nachgewiesen, unter anderem Ibogain. Ibogain wird eine halluzinogene Wirkung nachgesagt, die der, des in der Steppenraute (Peganum harmala) vorkommenden Harmalins ähnelt."

It says:

"Regarding Toxicity:
The presence of different alkaloids, inogaine amongst them, has been veryfied. A halluzinogen effect, that resembles that of the harmine present in Peganum Harmala, is attributed to ibogaine.

So basically yes accodring to the source cited it is present in star jasmine - sadly no information on potency here.

Several plants known to contain ibogaine voacangine voacamine ... are members of Apocynaceae, in fact as of now I can not think of a plant containing one of theese that is no Apocynacea, but to be sure about this I would first have to crack my memory nut on this and even then - no one can ever be sure Smile
The Bavarians are an uncouth but sociable folk, they would prefer have wood hacked on them rather than be brought to a state of rebellion; but if you should seize or spoil their beer, they will revolt more wildly than any other folk.

QUESTION: What common materials are soluble in acetone?

ANSWER: Styrofoam

MaNoMaNoM
#12 Posted : 3/10/2015 8:00:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

First experiment Crying or very sad failed.
i tried acid/base/NaPhthaS, on i guess about ~kilo of leaves (enough to almost fill walmart bag).
Anyone interested in growing some seeds here is a star jasmine give-away, it's almost finished.
The vines had been exposed to cold weather, and so had changed from dark-green to dark-red.

i should have de-fatted before basing, then extracting!

i ended up with a used tea layer, fatty layer, and clear naptha layer.

Separate the fatty from the naptha and separated those two, and evaporated them.
The clear naptha evaporated to nothing, and the fats left a thick, brown, sticky, stuff.

Still have the fats extract, but not sure why, a re-extract if possible.

Wondering now if methanol extract would do the trick?

*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE