We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Piri Piri Extraction (Cyperus Articulatus) Options

obliguhl
#21 Posted : 11/21/2011 5:52:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great Thread!
Apparantly, the interior Shuar used to use it on their newborns back in the 1950s so it can't be too bad on adults Smile

(But then, they also used to give their babies 1.50 manioc beer too)

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

rOm
#22 Posted : 11/21/2011 8:36:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found some left over of my homemade tincture, but I had to throw away the one I made the same time, with sarsapirilla. It didn't taste nearly as good.
I migth need a new batch and start again all.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

obliguhl
#23 Posted : 6/30/2014 2:14:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Major chemical constituents were identified to be pinene, eucalyptol, myrtenol, copaene, cyperene, caryophyllene, patchoulene and caryophyllene oxide. Essential oils of tubers and stems (aerial parts) from C. articulatus were characterized by much larger amount of sesquiterpenes (73 % and 71 % respectively) than monoterpenes (27 % and 24 % respectively)

Chemical Diversity of Essential Oils from Cyperus articulatus, Cyperus esculentus and Cyperus papyrus
Heba D. Hassanein, Naglaa M. Nazif, Abdelaaty A. Shahat, Faiza M. Hammouda, El-Sayed A. Aboutable, Mahmoud A. Saleh
Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants
Vol. 17, Iss. 2, 2014

So the psychoactive effects could be due to these oils.

Dante
#24 Posted : 2/11/2015 1:39:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A Shipibo shaman I spent some time with, prepared me a Piri Piri infused Agua de Florida (the rose one). He said it's good for attracting friendship, love and work. The only thing to do is to diet and apply the perfume to your body before meeting people or going to a job interview.

My skeptic side always laughed about this, but for some reason I still haven't tried it.
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

BundleflowerPower
#25 Posted : 2/12/2015 1:53:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Piri piri is a sedge right? I've experimented with wild sedges in my area along the gulf coast. I haven't used it in a brew but I do find it quite nice combined with cannibis.

Knarkkorven
#26 Posted : 2/13/2015 7:30:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cyperus is a host for the parasitic fungus Balansia cyperi (Lewis and Elvin-Lewis, 1990).
Other Balansia species contain ergot alakloids like chanoclavine, agroclavine, penniclavine, elymoclavine, ergonovine and ergonovinine.(see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....med/501329?dopt=Abstract )

So the experience would be close to LSA, perhaps with more visuals.

BundleflowerPower
#27 Posted : 2/14/2015 12:36:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Knarkkorven wrote:
Cyperus is a host for the parasitic fungus Balansia cyperi (Lewis and Elvin-Lewis, 1990).
Other Balansia species contain ergot alakloids like chanoclavine, agroclavine, penniclavine, elymoclavine, ergonovine and ergonovinine.(see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....med/501329?dopt=Abstract )

So the experience would be close to LSA, perhaps with more visuals.

Is the fungus widespread in the family? There are many cyperus species in my area. According to this there's 14 http://www.nps.gov/jela/...vised%20KW%20071006.pdf.

Knarkkorven
#28 Posted : 2/14/2015 6:30:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes. This article ( http://link.springer.com...cle/10.1007%2FBF02859780 )
mentions "This fungus is classified in the Clavicipitaceae and is known to infect only six species of Cyperus, including both North and South American species."

I have only found references for Cyperus articulatus, C. prolixus, C. rotundus and C. virens.
But I think C. alternifolius and C. digitatus also is affected. And there are probably more species not yet analyzed.

Other notes:

Acremonium, another genus in Clavicipitaceae infect the grass species Stipa robusta, and another genus infect plants in the family Convolvulaceae (like Ipomoea). The parasitic funguses in Clavicipitaceae has a big part of making plants psychoactive.

It's also worth mentioning that, like other Clavicipitaceae, not all plant specimens will be infected with the fungus... Some species transfer the fungus with the seed (Ipomoesa), and some need to be infected by spores or honey dew (Claviceps). I don't know how Balansia transfers on Cyperus.

Pharmacognosis
#29 Posted : 2/14/2015 10:14:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I bought the bulk herb of this off rain-tree when it was in business. There was a trip report on mycotopia recommending 5 grams whole herb tea for starters. This produced definate medium strength dissosociation, duration was an hour or so, and afterwards there was a strong dopamine surge (and perhaps also noradrenalin) cuz my teeth were gritting hardcore and it took alot of gaba-ergics to sleep. I didn't experiment further because I didn't like the wired mania after the underwater floaty phase and was concerned about my blood pressure. Couldn't OBE at this dose, had no visuals except for the fishbowl effect.

Theres a tincture you can buy from one of the sites listed on rain-tree's encyclopedia site for amazon herb wholesalers. Sustainable harvested yadayada don't attack me fruitarian mods. The NMDA antagonism is strong and worth exploring but the mania is stronger than the detachment, be careful exploring higher dosages.

steppa
#30 Posted : 2/16/2015 9:02:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know what to make of this. But in a random PDF regarding the Shipibo Icaros I just found they mention Piripiri like this:

Quote:
Initiated women
All the textile painting, embroidery, and artisan
craft is carried out by the women.
From a young age the Shipibo females
are initiated by their mothers and grandmothers
into this practice.

Teresa, a Shipiba who works with on Amazon
Retreats, tells that “when I was a young girl, my
mother squeezed drops of the piripiri (a species
of cyperus berries) into my eyes so that I would
have the vision for the designs
”.
This is only done once and lasts a lifetime”.

I thought someone might find this interesting.

Here's a link to the (non-scientific) PDF. Piripiri is mentioned on page 9.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

Chan
#31 Posted : 3/3/2015 5:56:57 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Just had my first encounter with this fragrant rhizome, and I feel it definitely has potential, most likely as an admixture.

First, I tried 5g as a tea. I pounded the root with a hammer, then ran it through a coffee grinder. Having moistened the powder with a splash of vodka to loosen things up, I steeped in boiling water for 5 minutes.

Tasted very healthy and fragrant, like a dozen or so essential oils mixed with water! Strong notes of camphor and lemon, presumably lots of terpenes. No alkaloidal bitterness at all.

Experienced no dissociation from this, but then I have extensive experience with ketamine & MXE, so probably a hard-nut. Sad

Definitely felt mild stimulation and general well-being. Productive afternoon in flow state, no adverse effects at all.

The odor screamed "vape me!" so I powdered some more and vaped maybe 1/4 tsp at 215C in the Volcano, in my baby bag (half normal size, perfect for spice etc) because I sensed power in those volatiles...

That felt extremely good! Still no dissociation, but def off baseline. For a few minutes, my head felt physically very heavy, as if my neck muscles were struggling to balance the big heavy ball on top. This wan't unpleasant, and made me laugh. I laughed quite a lot over the next 20-30 mins. Not manic laughter, just, damn this feels good!

Looking forward to trying with changa and other things, will report back.

“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

BundleflowerPower
#32 Posted : 3/19/2015 4:11:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Man From Chan Chan wrote:
Just had my first encounter with this fragrant rhizome, and I feel it definitely has potential, most likely as an admixture.

First, I tried 5g as a tea. I pounded the root with a hammer, then ran it through a coffee grinder. Having moistened the powder with a splash of vodka to loosen things up, I steeped in boiling water for 5 minutes.

Tasted very healthy and fragrant, like a dozen or so essential oils mixed with water! Strong notes of camphor and lemon, presumably lots of terpenes. No alkaloidal bitterness at all.

Experienced no dissociation from this, but then I have extensive experience with ketamine & MXE, so probably a hard-nut. Sad

Definitely felt mild stimulation and general well-being. Productive afternoon in flow state, no adverse effects at all.

The odor screamed "vape me!" so I powdered some more and vaped maybe 1/4 tsp at 215C in the Volcano, in my baby bag (half normal size, perfect for spice etc) because I sensed power in those volatiles...

That felt extremely good! Still no dissociation, but def off baseline. For a few minutes, my head felt physically very heavy, as if my neck muscles were struggling to balance the big heavy ball on top. This wan't unpleasant, and made me laugh. I laughed quite a lot over the next 20-30 mins. Not manic laughter, just, damn this feels good!

Looking forward to trying with changa and other things, will report back.

Very nice, and how syncrenisticaly things work out. Last weekend a good friend who I haven't heard from in over 10 years called me. I took a ride to see him. He has a few acres in a very remote area outside of my city on a tiny strip of land which has a large salt water bay on one side and brackish marsh on the other. While we explored the land, I noticed lots of cyperus growing pretty much everywhere. Not to mention this is a perfect place to drink the brew as it's remote and better yet one can see the stars very good, which is a treat for a city dweller. And better yet I re-connected with a very good friend.

This thread was right on time, I'll be going back there this weekend to collect some piri piri, fish and explore for plants.

BundleflowerPower
#33 Posted : 4/13/2015 2:29:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I've found quite a bit of piri piri growing all over. Work shall commence shortly with this species.

Here's the same plant from the picture on the entheogy site:

BundleflowerPower attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (2,146kb) downloaded 158 time(s).

SoulVoid
#34 Posted : 4/13/2015 8:41:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr. phil. Christian Rätsch talks (GERMAN) in a video about piri piri and how the Shipibo use it in their culture.

Heres the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8uCaIxGd4I
At around 53 min he starts to mention it.

I would translate it if i had the time at hand but someone else might be better at this task.

A crude translation from me Embarrased

56:37 "Then one of the women told us. "You have now so much experience with ayahuasca, now im going to reveal what we do."
"When we give birth to girls, even before we breastfeed them we give them eyedrops from a watery extraction of piri piri"
So they start to see the patterns which hold this world together(as seen on shipibo artwork) .
With progressing age the dose of the eyedrops increase until they eventually start to drink Piri Piri.

Rätsch also mentions that piri piri is a cyperus weed which in metabolic synergy with fungus produces ergot alkaloids.

Well its quite alot he talks about and im short on time ...
Get those german nexians in here now !Big grin

PsilocybeChild
#35 Posted : 4/28/2016 5:34:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't mean to bump an old thread but it's better than starting a new one and I see it's been bumped before.

After seeing info for cyperus online years back,
I once pulled out some cyperus species that was growing in PA around the Poconos,
rinsed the roots and allowed to dry.

I smoked a bowl or two worth and got some color enhancement, sharpness of vision, and tracers.
For a smoke, these effects were strong and impressed me.
I have messed with a lot of stuff and that doesn't happen often with reputed herbs.
I meant to try a tea from the roots before they were lost in a basement of shit. I definitely felt that species had potential and I wish I knew specifically which species it was. Who knows, perhaps it could be stronger than the south american Piri-Piri. But seems like a lot of cyperus species have similar effects from the fungi that grows on the roots.

I think cyperus roots need more attention.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

Chan
#36 Posted : 4/28/2016 8:40:49 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

I think aquatic plants are molecular ninjas, having spent the last 50 million years learning how to stand in dirty, warm water without rotting... Blue iris root (for one) has numerous medicinal properties too. And as we know, root-barks generally tend to be where plants carry out most of their defence R&D Thumbs up
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

rOm
#37 Posted : 4/28/2016 3:19:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Funnily enough, I just found back today a batch or piri piri.
This and the revival of an old thread is enough for me to take the step towards re-experimenting with this herb.
I reported its activity here, but over time, I was wondering if I didn't only had a strong reaction to harmalas that day to find dissociative effects. I was afterglowing from pharma as well .. But the other report seems in line with mine and it is likely some plants worth attention from our perspective.

benzyme
#38 Posted : 4/28/2016 6:29:38 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

fantastic thread, lots of great info. keep us posted Thumbs up
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

rOm
#39 Posted : 2/7/2017 12:25:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Found two vials of piri piri eye drops. Very happy to sample that. Single, but today bigger dose and enjoyable sense of visual irrealism... Did a very good Iboga microdose the day before. They probably work best with Aya, pharmahuasca, changa and visionnary mushrooms.

Acid test : Thumbs up

PREV12