We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A DMT-Nexus Library Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 2/21/2015 10:37:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Scattered all over The Nexus there are a huge number of scientific journal articles that have been posted, especially in the specific forum for Psychedelic-Related Journal Articles and the 'Request A Full Text or Reprint' forum.

Unfortunately, these are all posted randomly and many have now been buried under pages and pages of other replies.

What if we were to make a section of The Nexus with all of those articles arranged in some kind of order, so that researchers could seek out specific articles by topic and subject. We could post all the abstracts, like a sort of psychedelic PubMed.

It would be a lot of work, but we could end up with the largest library of psychedelic science articles anywhere, and, speaking as someone who is doing research into this stuff as part of my thesis (and hopefully later, PhD), that would be amazing.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 2/22/2015 2:41:19 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I've been promoting this idea for a while now. I also don't have the drive or desire to make it happen, but perhaps if we community effort, it wouldn't be so bad?
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Elpo
#3 Posted : 2/22/2015 8:04:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I like this idea, what would be really great is if it were possible to use your own login to save the threads you find interesting for further reference. I know this is a long shot, but many times I've found myself looking for old topics that I wanted to re-read.
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

GOD
#4 Posted : 2/22/2015 12:41:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A list is a good idea but as to downloads ....... what about issues with " copywrong " ?
I am autism spectum ........ please dont burn me at the stake for being honest .

Endurance
#5 Posted : 2/22/2015 4:23:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for starting this topic ND, it is something that I have also been thinking about.

Regarding

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Scattered all over The Nexus there are a huge number of scientific journal articles that have been posted, especially in the specific forum for Psychedelic-Related Journal Articles and the 'Request A Full Text or Reprint' forum.

Unfortunately, these are all posted randomly and many have now been buried under pages and pages of other replies.

I have made a suggestion to merge some of the request threads (although I might have missed a couple)

colour wrote:
It might prove useful to consolidate the various threads that request journal articles.

The following threads all contain requests for specific articles. The threads are listed in chronological order from oldest to youngest.

Article Request Thread 1

Article Request Thread 2

Article Request Thread 3

Article Request Thread 4

I'm not sure how the mods would go about consolidating these threads but I'd like to suggest that they be merged with the most recent article request thread. It seems logical and would keep things consistent. Additionally, it might be helpful to rename the thread accordingly or even sticky the consolidated thread?

There might be some other requests which can be found within various threads that contain uploaded papers or discussions on particular papers (ie: there is a request in the Scientific Articles on DMT/ Ayahuasca/Psychedelics thread). There may possibly be some more that I might have missed when compiling this list.

I don't mind tackling some of the grunt work behind this idea, although I'd first like to get a general consensus on the layout of the thread.

Some of my thoughts are:

- Would members prefer to have one thread dedicated to Requests and another hosting the Database?

- Would only the requested articles be uploaded or should all relevant articles be added to the database? Seeing as there are many members here doing research, there are a large no. of papers that could be uploaded.

- What would be the most logical and efficient format? Ordered alphabetically with out any sub-divisions? Or separated according to subject/type of writing (thesis, journal article etc)? Any other suggestions?

Suggestions and discussion are welcome!

endlessness
#6 Posted : 2/22/2015 6:56:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey!

This is a great idea.

I wonder if the wiki format could serve somehow or if it would just make it harder to format it.

I think one possible good way to organize would be if this was made into some kind of Excel table, and have columns like: year, author, title, journal, subject, drug (and link to full paper)

or something of the sort.. That way people could just order the table alphabetically by any column they want. The question is how to integrate that table here, or if we just have it uploaded as an attached file or link, and then people can check it out that way...

As for 'requests' and 'uploads', I do think they should be kept separately.

Whatever way you guys decide to do it, go for it! Any effort in this area is very appreciated!

Nathanial.Dread
#7 Posted : 2/24/2015 3:58:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Endlessness: I was thinking that the Wiki could serve as a great place to store the articles. There could be pages that were essentially just download links and abstracts. We could get as precise or as general as we wanted, although I think more precise might be better (eg: a page like "Articles Related to Endogenous N,N-DMT Production," and "Articles Related to 5-HT2ARs and Mental Health," etc.

I don't know much about programming this kind of stuff, but if we had some kind of keyword system, we could build somethere where if I'm doing research into the effects of ketamine on serotonergic signaling in the brain (which is one of my current projects), I could type in '5-HT2A, ketamine, serotonin' and get the relevant articles out.

Once the whole thing is made, there could be some new mod positions like 'Nexus Librarian,' who's job it is to acquire new relevant articles and post them.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

dreamer042
#8 Posted : 2/24/2015 4:43:31 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

This is starting to get a very complex very quickly, We don't really need to reinvent google scholar here.

I propose we begin simply, at the most obvious place to begin. Let's collect every article we can find regarding N-N,Dimethyltryptamine into one space by date published. Once collected, if someone wants to further go through and sort them and build a spreadsheet and so on that would be great, but let's start with something easily actionable.

The scale of this project can get out of hand very quickly, the thought of simply collecting all the articles regarding beta-carbolines into one space boggles the mind with it's sheer scale. This is thousands upon thousands of articles and weeks and weeks of work at minimum. So let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

I propose we create two threads, a work thread and a finalized thread. Here is a basic idea of the layout I'm thinking:

DMT

1930-1940
article citation
*attached or unable to find
article citation
article citation

New post

1940-1950
article citation
article citation
article citation

New post

1950-1960
and so on...

In the work thread people can add articles that were missed or upload articles that were unable to be found. The finalized thread will be locked and edited/updated as needed.

That's my basic idea for starting this thing, comments and critiques welcome.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca