We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
just a thought Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#21 Posted : 2/16/2015 6:26:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

As for the potentiating effects of ULM-491 on DMT I could only speculate.

Does anyone know of any other studies involving the pharmacological interactions between other lysergamides and DMT?

there's a compound called lisuride (systematic (iupac) name:1,1-Diethyl-3-(7-methyl-4,6,6a,7,8,9-hexahydro-indolo[4,3-fg]quinolin-9-yl)-urea) which is a lysergamide antiparkisons agent, and is also used in the treatment of migraines, any way this compound has a very similar pharmocological profile to ULM-491, and I would be willing to bet that lisuride would also have potentiating effects when used as a primer to N,N-Dimethyltryptamine.

-EG

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Nathanial.Dread
#22 Posted : 2/17/2015 5:48:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mindlusion wrote:
Well, the nitrogen on the tail end is a tertiary amine. Its not going to react with anything that is going to force the triazole to leave. All you are doing is making the nitrogen on the triazole take back its electrons, not reacting anything with it directly.

Again, I don't know how easily you could remove it where it is located, probably not easily at all. If it was on the indole directly, you could do a nucleophillic aromatic substitution.

It is pretty difficult to work backwards from a single molecule, retro-synthesis is an important technique to solve problems in organic synthesis, but it involves working backwards from the final product, in this case DMT. Its difficult to work backwards from a reactant like you are trying to do here.

Hold on: wouldn't anything that forced the triazole group to leave also remove the amine from the tail, leaving you with something like 3-ethylindole?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

downwardsfromzero
#23 Posted : 2/17/2015 7:49:23 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Mindlusion wrote:
Well, the nitrogen on the tail end is a tertiary amine. Its not going to react with anything that is going to force the triazole to leave. All you are doing is making the nitrogen on the triazole take back its electrons, not reacting anything with it directly.

Again, I don't know how easily you could remove it where it is located, probably not easily at all. If it was on the indole directly, you could do a nucleophillic aromatic substitution.

It is pretty difficult to work backwards from a single molecule, retro-synthesis is an important technique to solve problems in organic synthesis, but it involves working backwards from the final product, in this case DMT. Its difficult to work backwards from a reactant like you are trying to do here.

Hold on: wouldn't anything that forced the triazole group to leave also remove the amine from the tail, leaving you with something like 3-ethylindole?

Blessings
~ND

Not necessarily; dimethylamine is less good a leaving group than 1,2,4-triazole, as Mindlusion more or less implied at the start of their post. But I think it might be fairly tricky to get the reaction conditions right to get the triazole off without wrecking the rest of the molecule.

To what extent does an indolmethyl group resemble a benzyl group? Benzyl is quite easily removed with catalytic hydrogenation.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
benzyltriazole_crop.jpg (20kb) downloaded 142 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Mindlusion
#24 Posted : 2/18/2015 8:18:19 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

Not necessarily; dimethylamine is less good a leaving group than 1,2,4-triazole, as Mindlusion more or less implied at the start of their post. But I think it might be fairly tricky to get the reaction conditions right to get the triazole off without wrecking the rest of the molecule.

To what extent does an indolmethyl group resemble a benzyl group? Benzyl is quite easily removed with catalytic hydrogenation.

Actually, indole is even more electron rich than benzene. It is even better at stabilizing it's benzyllic hydrogen on the methyl group. You can draw a lot of resonance structures to stabilize the negative charge of the 4 position methyl. So it may actually be easier than one would initially think, but you would still be suck with 4-methyl-DMT.

A catalytic hydrogenation would work by breaking the bond between the 4-methyl and the triazole, due to the resonance stability of the benzyl (indole) as well as the resonance stability of the triazole hetero-cycle, the bond is weak enough in a sense, to be treated like a pi bond and hydrogenated. Cool!

--

Although, this reaction might not work with indole, we are assuming that the charge can be stabilized along the benzene ring. The indole 2 and 3 carbons are strongly nucleophillic. These carbons are key in the pictect-spengler and fischer indole. Since C2 is not yet substituted, the resonance forms of the benzene ring might not work the way we would like them to. Perhaps until this carbon is also substituted, such as in a beta-carboline, then you could have a stable benzylic anion to hydrogenate.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

downwardsfromzero
#25 Posted : 2/19/2015 4:21:49 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ah, but with Rizatriptan it'd be a 5-methyl. I'll have a go at drawing out the resonance forms for the indole equivalent benzylic um, thingy.

But as mentioned, being stuck with 5-methyl DMT wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

Edit: looking at it, benzylic cations would be more stabilized in 5-methylindole derivatives than the corresponding anions. This is due to the electron-rich pyrrole portion of the molecule as you said.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Mindlusion
#26 Posted : 2/19/2015 10:46:31 PM

My mistake, it is 5-methyl.

Also remember if it is a hydrogenation we are looking at, we would be dealing with a benzyl anion, not a cation.

Again like I said, indole is a bit of a special case. It will not undergo EAS on its benzene moiety of the ring unless the c2 and c3 of the pyrrole moiety have been substituted. I am not sure how this may play out in stabilizing the benzyl anion, though. But, with the methyl group already there on the 5 position, I cannot see how it could affect it through resonance. I think this reaction is very possible, worth a try.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

downwardsfromzero
#27 Posted : 2/22/2015 10:40:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

From what I gather, it looks like it'd come apart nicely with the appropriate catalyst and homogeneous hydrogen source.

1ce
#28 Posted : 2/23/2015 5:11:34 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

downwardsfromzero wrote:
From what I gather, it looks like it'd come apart nicely with the appropriate catalyst and homogeneous hydrogen source.

I think we're all forgetting that dimethylamine is a watched, hazardous reagent.

Mindlusion
#29 Posted : 2/23/2015 6:20:10 PM

1ce wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

I think we're all forgetting that dimethylamine is a watched, hazardous reagent.

There will be no free dimethylamine, this question was asked earlier in the thread. The amine tail is saturated and aliphatic, you might get 1 molecule of diethylamine every 10 million years or something, but the electronics for that reaction just aren't there. In the case of the triazole, it is pretty cool because you have two sets of intramolecular electronics going on at the same time which could push the reaction to completion. Wilkinson's catalyst could work.

entheogenic-gnosis
#30 Posted : 3/9/2015 3:11:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

http://nopr.niscair.res....48B%281%29%20134-136.pdf

The link above is:
Tungstate-Catalyzed Oxidation of Triptans with Hydrogen Peroxide: A Novel Method for the Synthesis of N,N-Dimethyltryptamine N-Oxides

Author: Purna Chandra Ray; Vasantha Mittapelli; Yogendra Kumar Chauhan; Babu Rao Konudula;Om Dutt Tyagi

Journal: ChemInform

Year: 2009

https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m..._N-Oxide_to_Freebase_DMT
The wiki above is for converting DMT-n-oxides into freebase DMT

-EG

PREV12