We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A Night in the Ti Pi Options

Muskogee Herbman
#1 Posted : 5/7/2014 6:39:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So one of my proudest moments is being allowed to partake in this ritual. I was introduced to this guy by my professor he's a famous architect in Canada, and also a Blackfoot First Nations member. I am of Native roots but grew up in Florida, I didn't always fit in and have always just had this innate view of the world that didn't quite match up with my friends and the general culture where I grew up. My dad grew up in Oklahoma to contrast, with lots of connections to his heritage, including relatives that lived on the rez, that he would visit regularly. So I've been seeking ways to connect any way possible, and this was an opportunity I was not going to pass up. He willingly took two friends and I to his home, fed us, had a great discussion about spirituality and humanity before heading out to the tent.

Its -8*F and we are in the middle of nowhere on his property near a pond with this "Cadillac of tents" near a fire pit adjacent to the pond. In the fire are several stones that were found near the site.

Inside the tent is a furnace, and some furniture to hang your clothes and stuff on the wall, and a smaller tent to the back of it.

The experience is guided so that you enter from the east and rotate to the south going west simulating the suns movement during the winter. Inside the smaller tent are offerings that were brought by the attendees, memories of an ancestor, personal property for someone who needs spiritual/medical help, and just general offerings for the spirits. There is also a pit in the center. It is pitch black in the ti pi

Once we are all settled in they start a prayer and bring in the first few sets of stones. These stones are brought in relation to the number of cells on a tortoise shell. Since it was so cold, at first this was very comfortable, but once the water was added it quickly became very uncomfortable. The first round is for the ancestors so the shaman is saying a prayer while dumping water on the stones steaming up the tent. It gets so hot you can't breathe and the only source of comfort is the cold earth floor. The stones are so hot that when the water hits it you hear all kinds of crackling and pops to which the shaman would say "Heyyy Hooo Haaa heeyyyy" The shaman began singing and this is where I found comfort. I began singing to forget my anxiety about being steamed alive. This is when I began seeing images of my uncle who passed a few years back that I was very close to. I began also seeing faint geometric patterns mostly manifesting as colors. I can remember beads of sweat falling from my forehead landing on my foot and thinking how cold my sweat felt. There were elements of sensory deprivation, beyond falling sweat I could not feel my body, I could not see anything, but I could still hear.

What seemed like an eternity eventually passed and it was break time, which I ran outside into the -8*F and stood in the snow thinking my gosh, I'm a Florida boy and I'm naked in the snow! So, after a short while I ran back into the big tent to heat back up before we entered the next round. I desperately needed water so I hydrated up before the next round which was for the females in your life.

Women are very important in Native culture, in my tribe for instance only women can own land, in others women chose the leaders because they are the ones who raise the young. So we all offered prayers for the women in our lives, I offered for my girlfriend, my mother and my girlfriends mother, and began another session. This one was much more intense, and has relation to being in the womb. It is a very traumatic experience, it is postulated that massive amounts of DMT is released but there hasn't been any tests done to prove or disprove this. At any rate, this also produced intense patterns of colors and was much more difficult than the first round. So much so that it was the last one I decided to do. I was so hot in this round I could not breathe, I thought I was going to die, there were so many of us I couldn't get my face to the ground so I tried my hardest to just sing my anxiety away. From this experience I realized that I needed to develop more patients with my mother, knowing some of the pain she must have felt carrying me around.

There were two more rounds after this but I was extremely dehydrated and decided to sit out for the rest. I had already had two intense psychedelic like experiences, I figured I got what I wanted from the experience as is. My friend who went back in said that it was much less intense then the previous one, and had a different feel to it.

This is when the peace pipe was brought out I got really excited for this. I've always wanted to smoke the peace pipe and know whats in it! They told us it was sweet grass, sage, and tobacco. We each passed the peace pipe around and offered thanks and appreciation for someone. I took a pretty big hit (no i didn't cough) and thoroughly enjoyed. Felt a slight mj like buzz (maybe this was placebo + being dehydrated idk lol)

So the 4th round is for the warrior, another less intense round I also sat out for this round since I was feeling pretty out of it still and dehydrated.

Overall this was a definite way to induce a psychedelic state of consciousness, but is a bit more dangerous than taking mushrooms as you can actually die in one of these rituals.

Hope you enjoyed this essay, this was a beautiful experience that I am very grateful to have been able to participate. I thank my host and the great spirit within us, and our plant brethren.

[edit] forgot some details added another line
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

datdmt
#2 Posted : 5/7/2014 8:32:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

very interesting, would like to give it a try one of these days.
It feels familiar , for good reason.

DreaMTripper
#3 Posted : 5/7/2014 10:44:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the report, very interesting and well written.
Regarding anxiety I believe it can induce psycedelic experiences. I say this as I have many times smoked a bit too much cannabis for my tolerance at that particular time and suffered extreme anxiety pyhsically and mentally which in turn would bring about utterly absurd colourful and disjointed CEV and vivid visons in the minds eye.
Maybe it is the brain trying to remedy the anxiety by releasing serotonin and other neurochemicals..
Just an off tangent observation certainly not said with any intent to reduce your experience muskogee.

Muskogee Herbman
#4 Posted : 5/7/2014 4:41:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments. Its funny you say that DreMTripper, because I had said in the closing comments of the spiritual discussion that to me it is neurochemical and in the brain, and he disagreed with me politely and talked about the spirit and it being channeled and stuff along those lines. In no way does the fact that we have neurotransmitters for the experience diminish its reality that is absolutely true! I am making this point in my thesis. I think uncomfortably is a major element of a mystical/psychedelic experience. I like using the word Psychedelic because to me it explains the essence of the experience in its own description. Mind/Soul/Spirit Manifesting.

datdmt: definitely give it a shot if you ever have the opportunity. Scientist say that the psychedelic experience is similar to heat exhaustion, dehydration, and other forms of self torture lol I wasn't able to find a source but if anyone wants to comment on this I'd love to hear their take on it as well any studies on it. With that being said! I think our classical teachers are far safer than any of those methods including this one. http://www.jsonline.com/...9953811z1-215378211.html
Just be sure to be hydrated Smile
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

Entheogenerator
#5 Posted : 5/7/2014 11:09:41 PM

Homo discens

Thanks for sharing, MH. I live only a couple of hours away from a large reservation, and I would really like to visit some time and discuss the possibility of experiencing a "sweat". Thank you for reigniting my motivation to do so! Smile
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

#6 Posted : 7/27/2014 4:41:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Great report man! Surprised i never saw this report.

This sounds like right up my alley :}

Great report brudda!

kerelsk
#7 Posted : 7/27/2014 2:10:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just noticed this thread and thought to add a little on my experiences with sweating.

I've participated in three sweatlodge ceremonies so far this summer. The most prominent component that comes to mind is the heat... pouring water over red hot rocks, having them sizzle. A group of 7 to 10 of us sit in a little wigwam made of blankets over bent branches, and after the steam starts building we sing these wonderful songs that feel much like icaros. Some even trigger visions of obviously native north american imagery in my visual field, without me "asking" for it.

Singing with a drum in such a stressful situation will bring you into an altered state. It seems to me somehow that when one is "getting closer to dying" it's easier to slip into mini dream states or coax the spirit away from the body for short periods of time. You become more receptive in some way.

After singing there is praying to creator and the grandparent stone people in the middle of the wigwam who have been on Earth longer than anybody. You wipe your sweat onto the stones, and ask that they take something nasty away from you. Then more singing.

It's quite physically rejuvenating after you recover, from replacing all your sweat with clean water. It seems to harden you off a little in some way Big grin
but also spirits bend near when you're in the sweat lodge. It's an opportunity to maybe get some information from the other world, when you're in that state reaching trance.

Aegle
#8 Posted : 7/29/2014 4:28:29 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Muskogee Herbman

Inspiring and beautifully written, thank you for rekindling my hope that I may one day be able to partake in this amazing ritual.

Much Peace and Kindness
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

dreamer042
#9 Posted : 7/29/2014 4:38:32 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Beautifully written report!

Thank you for sharing it with us. Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Mustelid
#10 Posted : 7/31/2014 2:05:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like an amazing experience, thanks for sharing.

Elpo
#11 Posted : 2/23/2015 11:10:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very nice report indeed, may I ask how long eacht round takes?
I am not sure I could make it through one as I get uncomfortable after 5min in a sauna...
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson