We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Freeze Precip Container "Depth" Options

Gooboy
#1 Posted : 2/8/2015 8:24:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Couldnt find any relevant posts after search, was trying to find out if the shape/volume of the container used for freeze precip effects crystalization. Most people prefer 9x9 glass baking dish but Ive also seen many posts of people using glass jars.

I currently have a glass jar with saturated naptha freezing, but im worried about lack of crystallization due to the naptha being "deep" in comparison to if it were more spread out over a larger surface area.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

pitubo
#2 Posted : 2/8/2015 8:43:04 PM

dysfunctional word machine

There is no relation to crystallization. The baking dish allows for easy scraping of crystals. The glass jar reduces solvent spills and fumes in the freezer. The lid on the jar also helps to keep ambient moisture out of the cold jar after the solvent has been decanted and the jar and its contents are returning to room temperature.

It's a matter of personal preference.

Gooboy
#3 Posted : 2/8/2015 9:04:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

pitubo wrote:
There is no relation to crystallization. The baking dish allows for easy scraping of crystals. The glass jar reduces solvent spills and fumes in the freezer. The lid on the jar also helps to keep ambient moisture out of the cold jar after the solvent has been decanted and the jar and its contents are returning to room temperature.

It's a matter of personal preference.

Alright thanks for the clarification, I was wondering if that was what causing the apparent lack of crystalization, 12+ hours later. Im guessing now that its just an impure pull but hopefully something will be salvaged after a small re-x

d*l*b
#4 Posted : 2/8/2015 9:12:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think almost any glass container is fine as long as it has an airtight lid (or one can be made for it) and is easy to scrape.

Maybe your issue is the amount of spice in your solvent? Was it cloudy or clouding when blown on before your tried freeze precipation?
D × V × F > R

Gooboy
#5 Posted : 2/8/2015 9:33:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

d*l*b wrote:
I think almost any glass container is fine as long as it has an airtight lid (or one can be made for it) and is easy to scrape.

Maybe your issue is the amount of spice in your solvent? Was it cloudy or clouding when blown on before your tried freeze precipation?

Yes, I made sure it clouded when blown on before I tried freezing. Though I opted to place directly in freezer instead of in fridge beforehand, which Ive since learned can result in less crystallization.

Ive pretty much determined no matter the results I am going to re-x the product, my first container did have some spice but alot of it was a light-brown-orangish tint. My first extraction was rushed and sloppy, but I can at least say the hands-on experience has been most illuminating. Definitely learned a lot of small but key details left out of the tek (A/B Boil n Base V1.2) that should make my next full-extraction much more proficient. I just hope that there is at least SOMETHING salvageable from the first.

OneStepBeyond
#6 Posted : 2/8/2015 10:01:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

12 hours is at the low end of the length of time you'd want for freeze precipitation (I'd say). Also if you're not doing a clean-up of some kind, the impurities can interfere with freeze precipitation. A mini /b seems to work pretty well.

Regarding the container, you can get pyrex baking dishes that come with an air-tight lid for not too much money. They do the job and they're easy to scrape.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away.

d*l*b
#7 Posted : 2/9/2015 2:04:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Putting it in the fridge prior to the freezer is not necessary, although it can help in growing larger crystals. Maybe it is worth evapping your solvent a bit more and freezing it again.

What/how much plant material did you extract and what/how much solvent did you use?

Regarding suitable containers, I like clip jars as shown in the attached image. I remove the seal, and seal by wrapping in cling film. Maybe there is something to using smaller containers, I guess there are less places for the crystals to attach themselves and a greater chance of growing larger cystals. Personally I rarely use containers over 500mL, more often below 250mL.
d*l*b attached the following image(s):
clip-jar.jpg (74kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
D × V × F > R