We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Resolving controversy around plethora of alkaloids in Acacia Rigidula & Berlandieri Options

fractalicious
#1 Posted : 1/19/2013 3:34:54 AM
Dave

Dear Nexians after repeatedly seeing the results of the paper by 3 University researchers, one of who was reachable I had a conversation with them.

The intent of the the original toxicology paper was to determine the cause of the locomotor ataxia and staggering of goats eating the commonly named Guajillo, and the other grazing trees that might be toxic, and their specific toxins.

The professor said that the testing would never be reaffirmed at by his facility due to very limited research funds and the fact that the trees are not a statewide issue.

The results showed an amazing array of 33 different phenylethlamine alkaloids and 2 steroids if memory serves me correctly. There were also I believe 4 unidentified compounds, a new professional analysis could lend to determination of their unknown structure.

Some time after the paper was written and republished in various journals Trouts I believe Dr. Alexanger Shulgin found the results quite remarkable and possibly quite accurate.

He did mention one distinct posibility for error and joked about dirty glassware from a drug lab, well who read this repeated this over and over to other entheoist's but none ever even seemingly comprehended the real potential problem during the tests that might give some skewed results. This potential error was that the GC-MS insertion process might result in the accidental conversion of ephedrine like compounds to amphetamines this is proven to occur. Ephedrine is a more complex molecule and simple reduction could create methamphetamine in example. If a more complex or as complex molecule occurs in ephedra why not a similar or simpler one,in another plant species, it is however the whole array that's hard to swallow.

OK back to todays conversation with the Doctor. He said that he had never heard from Dr. Shulgin or anything ever about any controversy surrounding the results. He said the primary researcher and her assistant are both unreachable one due to her possible death after protracted illness and being possibly posthumous and that the assistant has not been seen or heard from in many years.

He has the highest confidence that this testing was done competently and properly with the only issues being limitations of the older GC-MS processing equipment at the time. He clearly says that these compounds are identified from known GC-MS signatures in a database and there really is no reasonable explanation for bad results other than accidental conversion through reduction during the insertion process I discussed this and he agreed this might be an issue. It could not explain the full rainbow of compounds a few but not all of them.

The dirty glassware theory is a joke by Shulgin he is saying this is probably dead on and that he was seriously amazed and wanted to confirm these results but could not reach anyone.
What is important is the the professor has agreed to allow me to come to the universities research facility and to harvest samples he suggested waiting till spring but I want to expedite reconfirming the results independently.

I think Shulgin is taking for granted thier limited funds to accomplosish this task, the folks were more into livestock management and loss prevention the entheogenic research, they should have certainly recognized the importance and handed off material and results to another university and this is what the doctorate Professor is willing to help with kindly.

I would like to say that I am a long time plaque psorasis sufferer and only learned of various acacias/mimosa trees properties due to their proven healing powers after refusing to take an injection that could destroy my immune system and several failed topical medicines.

Right now there are clearly some potential toxins in Guajillo. At least 4 unknown compounds were isolated in tests.

In addition my best shot at analysis is probably to simply carefullly collect and deliver leaf, stem, and various bark to the University of Texas and to talk up a few students that might be game to write a paper on these plants and their content and toxicology.

Traveler has kindly granted access to a GC-LS testing facility but I am not familiar with this technology since I can not seem to wiki or google it?

I am going to try to reach the person I have the utmost respect for Dr. Shulgin or his wife Ann, and see if he might either forward these to a friend or himself also do analysis on these samples.

What follows is Dr. Shulgins response to inquiries about the paper:

I am familiar with the literature concerning these two West Texas Acacia species, but not with the plants themselves. I had both these PHYTOCHEMISTRY papers in my Acacia file but I must admit that I have some very mixed feelings about them.

What caught my curiosity immediately was the casual indifference shown to what is certainly an extraordinary discovery. Here, amongst some 40 or so alkaloids found in each of these two species, there were five amphetamines that had heretofore been thought to be inventions of man. Two of these are Schedule II drugs, Amphetamine and Methamphetamine. Two are Schedule I drugs, N,N-Dimethylamphetamine and 4-Methoxyamphetamine. And the fifth one is a major human metabolite of Amphetamine, 4-Hydroxyamphetamine. To my knowledge, none of these had ever before been reported as being natural plant alkaloids. This unprecedented discovery elicited only a passing line of comment in the earlier of the two papers.

My first thoughts as to origin were directed towards the well known natural hydroxylated amphetamines such as norephedrine, ephedrine and N-methylephedrine. I know that ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, frequent precursors in the illegal synthesis of methamphetamine, can be reduced to methamphetamine as an artifact of analysis. The sample insertion conditions of the gas chromatograph can effect this conversion. But then, there was no mention of any of these hydroxylated alkaloids as being present in either Acacia.

Might a contaminated round-bottomed flask have been purchased at a garage sale outside an abandoned meth-lab and served as the source of these "man-made" compounds? Unlikely, even in Texas.

Even more dramatic, one of these amphetamines, the 4-Methoxyamphetamine, is the increasingly notorious PMA that is appearing as one of the lethal "Ecstasy" offerings in the rave scene.

Several months ago I tried to contact, individually, the two principal authors, by both e-mail and personal snail-mail, and I have received no response as yet.

There is certainly precedent for a drug which was originally man-made, to be discovered in a plant. N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) was first synthesized by Manske, in Canada, in the 1930s. It was over twenty years later that it was discovered in a plant from South America. But such an event usually evokes considerable commentary. Here it seems that an exciting story is being ignored. Am I missing something?

-- Dr. Shulgin

Ok I will quote a couple papers and some info on why studies were done and the results of the first highly disputed results:

Negative impact on testosterone:

Exerpts from:
Effect of dietary phenolic amines on testicular function and luteinizing hormone secretion in male angora goats

Many agriculturally important shrubs of the genus Acacia can contain high concentrations of sympathomimetic phenolic amines. These compounds, which are thought to represent plant chemical defenses against herbivory, can affect different physiological processes of higher animals if they enter into the systemic circulation (Smith, 1977; Evans et al., 1979; Forbes et al., 1995). The sympathomimetic phenolic amines present in A. berlandieri have been implicated in the development of a toxic condition in sheep and goats when this shrub is consumed for extended periods (Camp et al., 1964). Parenteral administration of phenolic amines present in A. berlandieri and A. rigidula impairs reproductive function of female goats (Forbes et al., 1993) and heifers (Carpenter et al., 1994) and suppresses LH release after GnRH administration in wethers (Forbes et al., 1994). Further research is required to determine the occurrence of subtoxic effects in domestic ruminants that regularly consume vegetation with high concentrations of phenolic amines. In the present study, male Angora goats were allowed to graze on a range site dominated by A. berlandieri and A. rigidula to test the hypothesis that consumption of these plants does not affect testicular characteristics or function or systemic LH concentrations.

The results of this study indicate that consumption of phenolic amine-containing vegetation may affect the function of the pituitary-gonadal axis in domestic
goats, as has been suggested in recent studies involving parenteral administration of some of the phenolic amines present in A. berlandieri and A. rigidula (Forbes et al., 1993, 1994; Carpenter et al.,1994).

In terms of testicular characteristics and function, the increase in testosterone secretion by the testes, which normally occurs in male goats as the breeding
season advances (Muduuli et al., 1979; Ritar, 1991; Pe?rez and Mateos, 1995), was clearly suppressed in the PA bucks.

Acute parenteral administration of some of the phenolic amines present in A. berlandieri and A. rigidula inhibited GnRH-stimulated LH secretion in wethers (Forbes et al., 1994).

Increased LH concentrations and augmented LH response to GnRH observed on d 75 in the PA bucks was probably a consequence of reduced negative feedback of testosterone because testosterone was lower in the animals consuming A. berlandieri and A. rigidula. Over the long term, PA males seemed to have a diminished testicular responsiveness to LH. This was reflected during the pre-GnRH period by decreased plasma testosterone despite increased LH and a lack of correlation between plasma concentrations of LH and testosterone. This reduced testicular responsiveness to LH was also evident during the GnRH-stimulated period, as reflected by a decreased testosterone response to GnRH-induced LH release. A possible direct or indirect effect of phenolic amines on testicular function, the latter mediated through their ability to stimulate cortisol secretion (Forbes et al.,1994), may have influenced testicular responsiveness to LH because cortisol has been demonstrated to affect LH-stimulated testicular steroidogenesis (references in Vera-Avila et al., 1996).

Results of the discriminatory analysis indicated that serum testosterone, change in SC, and serum T3 and T4 were the response variables most correlated with treatment when considered independently (independent R2) , and with the exception of T4, when considered in a complete model including all of the other variables (partial R2) . Serum testosterone, serum T3, and change in SC provided most of the discriminatory power (ASCC = .60) that could be achieved by including all variables in the model (ASCC = .64). Thus, according to this analysis, diminished serum testosterone and SC and increased serum T3 concentrations most accurately characterized the differences between PA and CO bucks.

FULL VERSION http://jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/75/6/1612.pdf

Next on alkaloid results:

Chemistry of Acacia's from South Texas

Acacia species in south Texas contain numerous chemical compounds, many of which have negative effects on animal performance.

Alkaloids, phenolic amines, phytoestrogens, and tannis have been identified in south Texas acacias.

Many of the acacias of south Texas are considered to be valuable forage for deer and domestic livestock. It is known, however, that at least one species, guajillo (Acacia berlandieri) will produce a paralytic condition in sheep and goats called "guajillo wobbles." As part of a larger study investigating the chemistry of south Texas range plants, we determined the chemical composition of the leaves of several south Texas acacias.

Most woody plants contain a variety of chemical compounds a number of which have the advantage to the plant of being toxic to animals that consume them. Many of these defensive compounds are nitrogen-based, though there also are a significant number of nonnitrogenous toxic compounds. Additionally, plants produce compounds which may be repellent or, as in the case of tannins, lower the nutritional value of the plant. Early research, using paper and thin-layer chromatographic techniques, identified several phenolic amines in A. berlandieri, including n-methyl-phenethylamine (NMP), tyramine, nmethyltyramine and hordenine.

The alkaloid fractions (those extractable with 10% HCL) of A. berlandieri and A. rigidula contained a complex mixture of alkaloids including nicotine, nornicotine, anhalamine, mescaline, and 3,4,5-trihydroxy-phenethylamine (demethylated mescaline).

The phenolic amines, such as tyramine, hordenine and N-methyl-B-phenethylamine are powerful activators of the sympathetic nervous system causing the release of cortisol and adrenocorticotropic hormone. In addition to the alkaloids, the plants were also found to contain intricate mixtures of tannins and flavenoids including catechin, fisetin and quercetin.

While tannins and their antinutritional effects have been the subject of much research in recent years, little attention has been paid to the negative effects of consumption of other secondary compounds that are not acutely toxic. However, recent research has shown the negative effects on fertility of consumption of amine-containing forage. Consumption of guajillo and blackbrush was shown to reduce fertility in male goats, and to reduce their ability to handle stressful situations such as transportation.

Table 1. Major Chemical Compounds in South Texas Acacias :

Amines and Alkaloids:

phenethylamine
N,N-dimethylphenethylamine
N,N-dimethyl-"-methylphenethylamine
p-hydroxyamphetamine
tyramine
3-5-dimethoxytyramine
3,4-dimethoxy-5-hydroxy-$-phenethylamine
hordenine
N,N-dimethyldopamine
tryptamine
N,N-dimethyltryptamine
N-methylmescaline
nicotine
anhalamine
peyophorine
nortryptyline
3-"-cumyl-1,3,4-oxadiazolidine-2,5-dione
p-hydroxypipecolamide
4-methyl-2-pyridinamine

N-methylphenethylamine
amphetamine
methamphetamine
p-methoxyamphetamine
N-methyltyramine
candicine
dopamine
N-methyldopamine
3-methoxytyramine
N-methyltryptamine
mescaline
trichocereine
nornicotine
anahalidine
mimosine (methyl ester)
musk ambrette
pipecolamide
1,4-benzezediamine

Phytoestrogens:

octylphenol \
aristolone
(Z)-9-octadecenoic acid
(Z,Z,Z)-9,12,15-octadecatrienoic acid
3b-acetoxy-17-methyl-5a-18-abeoandrost-13-ene

nonylphenol
3b-cholest-5-en-3-ol
(Z,Z)-9,12,-octadecanoic acid

Last but not least some more on toxicology:

Toxic amines and alkaloids from acacia rigidula

Acacia rigidula Benth., blackbrush, is a shrub found growing on rocky ridges in west and southwest Texas and northern Mexico. Consumption of blackbrush and a related species guajillo, Acacia berlandieri Benth., has been associated with a locomotor ataxia known as "limber leg".

A. rigidula has been shown to contain appreciable levels of toxic alkaloids. Sheep and goats grazing on a related species, Acacia berlandieri Benth., guajillo, during periods of drought in the Rio Grande Plains of Texas have developed a locomotor ataxia referred to as "guajillo wobbles" or "limber leg" [2]. Previous analysis of blackbrush had detected and identifed four amines, N-methyl-b-phenethylamine (NMPEA), tyramine, N-methyltyramine, and hordenine, which were also found in guajillo [3].

As a result of this study, an intensive chemical analysis of A. rigidula Benth. was undertaken to identify the amines and alkaloids present in the leaves and stems that would comprise browse material.

Forty-four amines and alkaloids, including the four previously encountered amines, N-methyl-b-phenethylamine, tyramine, N-methyltyramine, and hordenine, were identifed by GC-MS.

The majority of the isolated alkaloids, 18 of the 33 identifed, were related to the parent compound b-phenethylamine. These compounds generally varied in the degree of N-methylation, x-methylation (amphetamine family), and in oxygenation of the aromatic ring (tyramine, dopamine, and mescaline families). The 2-cyclohexylethylamine and the N-cyclohexylethyl-N-methylamine are the saturated analogs of the phenethylamine and NMPEA respectively. Tryptamine, N-methyltryptamine, and N,N-dimethyltryptamine were also isolated from blackbrush.

Other noteworthy alkaloids found in blackbrush include nicotine, nornicotine, and four tetrahydroisoquinoline alkaloids, anhalamine, anhalidine, anhalonidine, and peyophorine. The amides of the amino acids pipecolic acid and p-hydroxypipecolic acid were also detected.

As was previously found with NMPEA the foliage collected in the autumn contained higher quantities of amines and alkaloids [10]. There was also a distinct increase in the number and quantity of methylated analogs present (Table 1).

Several as yet unidentifed amine-containing compounds have been detected but have not yet been identifed. It is also probable that several biosynthetic precursors are present in the mixture but as yet are unresolved and are below the threshold of GC-MS detection.

Phenolic amines, as a group, impact the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis [11]. The consequent release of ACTH and cortisol results in symphathomimetic action. The number of phenolic amines reported in Table 1 and their concentrations in the plant indicate a substantial toxic load to animals consuming blackbrush. The toxicity of nicotine and nornicotine has been well established [12], as has the psychoactivity of mescaline and its derivatives. None of the compounds identifed appear to have been implicated in locomotor ataxia. However the presence of the amphetamines suggests the possibility for a reduction of monoamine oxidase activity [13]. FULL VERSION: http://www.erowid.org/ar.../rhodiu...a.rigidula.pdf

I hope to with help here once and for all confirm or deny and expand accurate analysis of at least the 2 species plus another Acacia Sheffneri.

Here locally in my hometown we have a few more plants of interest but these are quire well studied allready although these will have both seasonal and regional and subspecies variations in content these being Arundo Donax the Reed Cane plant, and both species of Demanthus the rock solid safe Leptobolus and its poorer sister species Illioensis.

Thank you for guidance and advice please no personal requests for plants samples since this inapproproriate just pure research efforts only. If these prove fruitfull for further examination over the coming months I will make an effort to make seed and possibly live seedlings available to members, the seed is almost a year away.

I think Dr. Shulgin pretty much eliminates the potential for error due to accidental reduction conversion of many of the substances since he seems to be saying there is no evidence of the needed more complex molecules they might have been converted from if I am comprehending this correctly.

BTW for the few who are not aware of who Dr. Alexander Shulgin is, please read about phikal, Phenylethlamines I have known and loved he is quite daring having synthesized and himself consumed the results of a myriad of molecules he designed by redistributing various side chains.

Update: Very sad to hear that Dr. Shulgin AKA with endearment as Sasha, has suffered a series of strokes and Ann his wife also is now fighting illness, lets pray for them. He is now 89. Ann is also very ill now apparently and they are taking paypal donations for help with treatment. I feel it a shame to have missed meeting McKenna in Hawaii by a few years, and the Shulgins as they had made SXSW music festival here in 2010 See bit on Dangerous Pictures on website interviews and his interview before McKenna died on their website. I

http://www.shulginresear...ries/the-shulgin-index/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Shulgin

I am going to try to contact both the institute and or Sasha his wife, maybe there are others with the institiute staff, that would be willing to help with analysis.

This sentence in the toxicology report very important:

As a result of this study, an intensive chemical analysis of A. rigidula Benth. was undertaken to identify the amines and alkaloids present in the leaves and stems that would comprise browse material.

The researchers had no interest in the cambium of the root, and it was not either qualitively or quantively analysed ever. This could present issues when taking samples pray for success please.

https://www.google.com/s...amp;biw=1366&bih=666

We all known that many of our favorite trees produce little or no desirable content or at least highly varied content in various parts of Mimosa/Acacia Speciestree.
Some parts that are browsable by animals highly toxic lets hope the root cambium proves a good source on n,n, and has far less of these. Anyone shocked by toxicity issues should realise the Mimosa Tenuifolia as spelled in Spanish (also since not circumspect keyword) can have profound effects on developing fetuses of animals eating it.

<3 for all my fellow souls well other than some nasty trolls here and there, ROFL!
The difficulty of performing a given task is directly proportional to a persons capability for confusion![color=red]

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

cyb
#2 Posted : 1/19/2013 9:46:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Really hope some of the Chem Testers see this:

fractalicious wrote:
In the next month I pray some nexians will read this and the few gurus that work in a University or lab and have access to preferrably GC-MS or TLC or other analysis methods will step up and send me private messages.

I will confirm their reputation from senior members and use an anonymous remailing service to remail to them (If I determine this OK). I will foot fees and postage if this is OK and does not violate policy as interpreted by Traveler since these trees are not circumspect or on amy banned or potential drug precursor or drug watchlist at this time.

Right now this may not fly since policy states live plants and seed of non-watched species is acceptable ss this might be on fringes of what is kosher.
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

The Traveler
#3 Posted : 1/19/2013 10:14:12 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

cyb wrote:
Really hope some of the Chem Testers see this:

fractalicious wrote:
In the next month I pray some nexians will read this and the few gurus that work in a University or lab and have access to preferrably GC-MS or TLC or other analysis methods will step up and send me private messages.

I will confirm their reputation from senior members and use an anonymous remailing service to remail to them (If I determine this OK). I will foot fees and postage if this is OK and does not violate policy as interpreted by Traveler since these trees are not circumspect or on amy banned or potential drug precursor or drug watchlist at this time.

Right now this may not fly since policy states live plants and seed of non-watched species is acceptable ss this might be on fringes of what is kosher.

fractalicious has a PM. Smile

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Parshvik Chintan
#4 Posted : 1/19/2013 10:20:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
fractalicious has a PM.

science marches ever onward!
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

cyb
#5 Posted : 1/19/2013 10:22:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Parshvik Chintan wrote:

With The Nexus taking Point it seems...Thumbs up
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

The Traveler
#6 Posted : 1/19/2013 12:02:30 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

cyb wrote:
Parshvik Chintan wrote:

With The Nexus taking Point it seems...Thumbs up

As the DMT-Nexus we have access to a good LC-MS, we can have up to 10 samples a month tested by that LC-MS. Smile

Kind regards,

The Traveler

fractalicious
#7 Posted : 1/20/2013 4:48:37 AM
Dave

Dear enlightened ones meaning the great oracle Traveler, What does the acronym GC-LS stand for? Thank You!
The difficulty of performing a given task is directly proportional to a persons capability for confusion![color=red]

Parshvik Chintan
#8 Posted : 1/20/2013 5:33:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

LC-MS: Liquid chromatography – mass spectrometry
GC-MS: Gas chromatography – mass spectrometry
TLC: thin-layer-chromatography
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

fractalicious
#9 Posted : 1/20/2013 6:08:22 AM
Dave

Thank You!Cool

nen888
#10 Posted : 1/21/2013 2:30:29 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..on p44 of Trying to Improve Acacia Information i wrote:
Quote:
..on the Texan and Central American Acacia rigidula..see post p.9 here on the controversial finding of 44-odd alkaloids..
the usual criticism levelled by skeptics at the findings is that many of these compounds must have been contamination of lab ware, as a couple of them were not previously known in nature (although it's worth noting that DMT was 'discovered' synthetically before being 'discovered' in nature)
..but, if that was the case, i.e. contamination of equipment from residues of previous tests, then we could screen out all supposed compounds below a certain % (most of them very trace, 10-20 times lower in concentration, supporting possible contamination..) giving us the following probable contents:
Phenethylamine, N-methyl-phenethylamine, N,N-dimethyltryptamine, N-methyltryptamine, Pipecolamide, Hydroxy-pipecolaminde, Tyramine, N-methyltyramine, 4-methyl-2-pyridinamine.

..all such compounds have been found in Acacias before..it is possible that it could contain nicotine, suggesting extreme caution..nicotine has been found in Acacia concinnia (Asia) ..

..one of the most skeptical of the finding is K. Trout who points out that Clements won't respond to any enquires for more info on the result..
it should be emphasised that most of the reported compounds are in very trace amounts, but certainly, it seems inconsistent with all other acacia phytochemical study to date..also, Camp et al. 1964 found just phenethylamines..

fractalicious
#11 Posted : 1/21/2013 5:56:43 PM
Dave

If were not too late getting as many varied specimens of plant matter seasonally into hands of Dr. Shulgin and/or Ann's hands my wishes they are probably too ill to continue research but I feel they must have several proteges about. Right now the website at the Shulgin website is seeking help for medical costs and seeking to sell books and publications. There are several videos one of Alexander and Terrance.Sad
The Shulgins are in thier late 80's now.Crying or very sad

Keeper Trout
#12 Posted : 1/22/2013 5:54:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

There seems like there could be some disingenuity in what was said by some of those being questioned.
Normally if there is a plant that is thought to be toxic to livestock there is plenty of interest for looking at why. (Especially as in this case where a livestock disorder -guajillo wobbles - is a known outcome for animals that graze predominately this plant during drought if other plants become unavailable) There sure does seem to be adequate funding for a BUNCH of livestock toxicity studies by Forbes since then - many of those appear to be animal studies which are far more expensive than simple analysis?

The comment made about contact difficulties bears a comment.
Clements was not difficult for Martin Terry to contact immediately after these papers appeared. She dodged him and stood him up though and he was never able to get her to answer any questions. Dr. Terry was at the time at Texas A&M doing postdoctoral work and actually knew Clement which is what made it more odd. (A&M was where Clement and coworkers did their work).
The year following those papers appearance Sasha told me he tried email and phone contact more than once. I've posted this elsewhere but one problem with those accounts according to Sasha is their claim that they purchased their reference standards commercially or synthesized them. Sasha pointed out at least one of their novel compounds had never had a synthesis published. And MANY of the alkaloids lack commercial sources.
To me it sure sounds like all of that novelty in their work should have spawned several more papers that did not require any additional research work or funding - just reporting on what work they did. Most researcher don't pass up any opportunity to get a paper published.

Sasha has not had good memory for conversation in some years so he is no longer in the picture. Ann would not know anything.
Sasha was really happy though the last time I saw him a few months ago. He's in his last years of course. He lacks access to the majority of his memory, and has for some years, but is aware of what is around him and can converse on small talk like the weather or a dog in the room.

Work is apparently ongoing at USDA to answer this since there is a human diet aid being marketed.

If someone out there wants to look at either plant via gcms let me know and I'll be happy to collect another set of samples in March when I'm in South Texas that can be added to Fractilicious' samples. Schaffneri is a really cool looking plant that lacks analysis so that sounds awesome. MIght as well add roemeriana if there is interest.

ALL reported livestock toxicity was previously reported to be reproducible by Price & Hardy using pure N-MethylPEA. No one disagrees on its presence.

I'll dig into the details and underlying substrate for the above thread a touch deeper and come back with another post.

fractalicious
#13 Posted : 1/22/2013 6:27:25 PM
Dave

Since you seem to have the fortune of having personal contact with the Shulgins maybe you could provide contact information for their protoges who are continuing their work and research. I had heard rumors that Ann had begun a 3rd book that was requring completion by others due to her illness.

Keeper Trout wrote:
There seems like there could be some disingenuity in what was said by some of those being questioned.
Funding was too limited to get someone to shoot gcms of an extract? Normally if there is a plant that is thought to be toxic to livestock there is plenty of interest for looking at why. (Especially as in this case where a livestock disorder -guajillo wobbles - is a known outcome for animals that graze predominately this plant during drought if other plants become unavailable) There sure does seem to be adequate funding for a BUNCH of livestock toxicity studies by Forbes since then - many of those appear to be animal studies which are far more expensive than simple analysis?

The comment made about contact difficulties bears a comment.
Clements was not difficult for Martin Terry to contact immediately after these papers appeared. She dodged him and stood him up though and he was never able to get her to answer any questions. Dr. Terry was at the time AT Texas A&M doing postdoctoral work and actually knew Clement which is what made it more odd. (A&M was where Clement and coworkers did their work).
The year following those papers appearance Sasha told me he tried email and phone contact more than once. I've posted this elsewhere but one problem with those accounts according to Sasha is their claim that they purchased their reference standards commercially or synthesized them (maybe I shouldn't ask how does one synthesize chemicals when lacking in funds?) Sasha pointed out at least one of their novel compounds had never had a synthesis published. And MANY of the alkaloids lack commercial sources.
To me it sure sounds like all of that novelty in their work should have spawned several more papers that did not require any additional research work or funding - just reporting on what work they did. Most researcher don't pass up any opportunity to get a paper published.

Sasha has not had good memory for conversation in some years so he is no longer in the picture. Ann would not know anything.
Sasha was really happy though the last time I saw him a few months ago. He's in his last years of course. He lacks access to the majority of his memory, and has for some years, but is aware of what is around him and can converse on small talk like the weather or a dog in the room.

Work is apparently ongoing at USDA to answer this since there is a human diet aid being marketed.

If someone out there wants to look at either plant via gcms let me know and I'll be happy to collect another set of samples in March when I'm in South Texas that can be added to Fractilicious' samples. Schaffneri is a really cool looking plant that lacks analysis so that sounds awesome. MIght as well add roemeriana if there is interest.

ALL reported livestock toxicity was previously reported to be reproducible by Price & Hardy using pure N-MethylPEA. No one disagrees on its presence.

I'll dig into the details and underlying substrate for the above thread a touch deeper and come back with another post.

Keeper Trout
#14 Posted : 1/22/2013 7:01:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

People around Sasha want very much to preserve his legacy of there being an active research facility.
The money is simply not there for that to be real.
Ann will lend her name to that work but its those people mentioned above who will be putting out the next Shulgin Index. They did much of the work on the present one. Sasha has been in and out of it for some years and has had failing vision for even longer.
Any time he has been up to it they have gone out to travel and live. Socializing with friends and admirers and enjoying as much as they can of their life and their friends while they are still able is one of the most beautiful ways for people to spend their last years. Sasha and Ann have really gone for it in that area.

I'll make an inquiry and put you in touch with them if they are open to it.

Keeper Trout
#15 Posted : 1/22/2013 7:02:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'll dig deeper but for the moment this might be helpful in some spots.

Below are a couple of exceprts from what is in my notes concerning N-MePEA (taken from the book Cactus Alkaloids which is not yet back in print)

In the Rio Grande plains of Texas, a condition known as ”Limberleg” or “Guajillo Wobbles” occurs in range sheep and goats during periods of drought when (and where) Acacia berlandieri (Guajillo) becomes the dominant available vegetation. When other forage is available, guajillo is considered to be wholesome and nutritious component of the diet and apparently does not cause any problems. Animals may ingest the plant exclusively for 6 to 12 months before developing “locomotor ataxia of the hindquarters”. (Usually during prolonged droughts.)
The affected animals develop a locomotor incoordination of the legs. In the beginning, the incoordination is observed only when they are forced to move; after several days or weeks, the incoordination is complete with the animals recumbent, prostrate, unable to rise and they may die of starvation or thirst.
The sympathomimetic amine, N-methyl-phenethylamine, has been identified as the major alkaloid synthesized by Acacia berlandieri. and has been claimed to be proven “conclusively” to be the cause of”Guajillo Wobbles” in feeding experiments done by D.A. Price and W.T. Hardy (Price & Hardy 1953) and in later toxicological studies with purified N-Methylphenethylamine (Camp & Lyman 1956, Camp & Lyman 1957 and Camp et al. 1964)

This conclusion was questioned by Clement et al. who noted that while the feeding trials of Broughton & Hardy 1941 produced locomotor ataxia; it was not observed when NMPEA or tyramine was injected into well fed animals by Forbes et al. 1993.
While their conclusion appeared to lead to some serendipitous results that might not have emerged otherwise, it should be added that ‘guajillo wobbles’ also do not occur in well fed animals and arise only when berlandieri serves as the primary or exclusive form of sustenance in an otherwise limited diet. It might be asked why the work of Camp and coworkers or that of Price and Hardy were not considered.
There is also some discrepancy about the purported sources of their reference standards that remains unanswered. In particular Sasha commented that at least one of the alkaloids they reported had never had a synthesis published and many of their compounds, both the novel and the previously known, lacked any commercial sources undermining their claim of obtaining their reference standards from commercial sources or via in-house synthesis. It seems wise to view the work published by Clement with reservations until their sources of standards can be clarified.

Loss from”Limberleg” during prolonged drought may reach 65% of mature animals (goats and sheep).
Camp & Lyman 1956 & 1957 and Camp & Norvell 1966

LD50 (i.p.) of N-methyl phenethylamine hydrochloride was found to be 200-225 mg/kg in rats
This toxicological “study” of the amine (I.P. in rats) found:
10-20 mg./ kg. produced piloerection and increased heart rate and respiration.
50-200 mg./kg additionally produced hyperactivity, hypersensitivity, hindleg incoordination and apprehension, followed by depression.
200 mg/ kg additionally produced coordinated swaying of the head and tail, retropulsion and circumpulsion.
Tail rigidity became apparent at the 100 mg./kg range.
Camp et al. 1964

Rats (weighing 75, 80, 140 and 150 grams each) were killed by intraperitoneal injection (of 50, 100, 42.5 and 42.5 mg, respectively,) of the hydrochloride salt. Death occurred at 12, 7, 17 and 16 minutes after injection (respectively). Observed effects were progressive dyspnea, clonic convulsions, ophthalmic dilation, incoordination of posterior limbs and cyanosis. Post-mortem revealed only congestion of abdominal viscera.
Camp & Lyman 1956

N-Methylphenethylamine occurs in numerous plants including a number of Acacia species.
See:
Clement et al. 1997 & 1998, Smith 1977a and White 1954 & 1957

Broughton, I.B. & W.T. Hardy (1941) 54th Ann. Rep., Texas Agric. Exper. Stat. p. 1159. [from Clement et al. 1998 ).
Camp, Bennie J. & Carl M. Lyman (1956) Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. Scientific Edition 45 (11): 719-721. “The Isolation of N-Methyl beta-Phenethylamine from Acacia berlandieri.”
Camp, Bennie J. & Carl M. Lyman (1957) The Southwestern Veterinarian 10: 133. [Have not yet obtained a copy.]
Camp, Bennie J. and Joan A. Moore (1960) Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. Scientific Edition. 49 (3): 158-160. “A Quantitative Method for the Alkaloid of Acacia berlandieri.”
Camp, Bennie J. & Michael J. Norvell (1966) Economic Botany 20 (3): 274-278. “The Phenethylamine Alkaloids of Native Range Plants.”
Camp et al.(1964) Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 111 (2): 744-750. [Bennie J. Camp, Ray Adams and J.W. Dollahite] “The Chemistry of the Toxic Constituents of Acacia berlandieri.”
Clement, B.A. et al. (1997) Phytochemistry 46 (2): 249-254. “Toxic Amines and Alkaloids From Acacia berlandieri” (Beverly A. Clement, Christina M. Goff & David A. Forbes)
Clement, B.A. et al. (1998 ) Phytochemistry 49 (5): 1377-1380. “Toxic Amines and Alkaloids From Acacia rigidula” (Beverly A. Clement, Christina M. Goff & T. David A. Forbes)
Price, D.A. & W.T. Hardy (1953) J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc., 26, 223 (from Camp)
Smith, Terence A. (1977)a Phytochemistry 16: 9-18. “Phenethylamine and related compounds in plants.”
White, E.P. (1954) New Zealand Journal of Science and Technology 35, Sec. B; 6: 451-455. “Alkaloids of the Leguminosae. Part XXIII.- The Occurrence of N-Methyl-b-phenethylamine in Acacia prominens A. Cunn..”
White, E.P. (1957) New Zealand Journal of Science and Technology 38, Sec. B; 7: 718-725. “Part XXVI: Examination of Further Legumes, Mainly Lupinus and Acacia species for Alkaloids.”

Keeper Trout
#16 Posted : 1/22/2013 7:07:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone have any idea why my 8s in 1998 above display as emoticons?

a1pha
#17 Posted : 1/22/2013 7:14:19 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Keeper Trout wrote:
Does anyone have any idea why my 8s in 1998 above display as emoticons?

Code:
Yes, the system automatically changes "8)" to the cool-glasses emoticon.

Using the code syntax is the only way I've found to stop it.

Or, add a space.

8 )

^With added space.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Entropymancer
#18 Posted : 1/22/2013 10:17:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

My solution to those annoying Cool emoticons is to insert an empty formatting tag in between the 8 and the parentheses.

E.g.
Code:
8[b][/b])

will correctly display as 8)

a1pha
#19 Posted : 1/22/2013 10:19:19 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Nice Entro, perfect fix. Much better than mine!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Keeper Trout
#20 Posted : 1/23/2013 2:06:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for that!

I can't say that anything dishonest was said when the person quoted above claimed their IDs were drawn from a library of spectra but I'd like to draw folks attention to a couple of rather pertinent comments in the article itself that bear reflection?

1978 in the jpeg I originally included was a typo intending 1997.
I've replaced it with a corrected image in case it mattered to anyone
Keeper Trout attached the following image(s):
Clement_et_al_1997_ex_1378.jpg (526kb) downloaded 311 time(s).

123NEXT