We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Distilling DCM for reuse? Options

VisualDistortion
#1 Posted : 5/18/2009 9:46:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If one were to use DCM to defatt some plant material in a sohxlet, would he just distill as normal or would he have to do something like steam distill so as to leave the fats suspended on the water.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 5/19/2009 2:15:53 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

distilling dcm can be done, but it's a bit tricky since the vapor pressure is so high.
even with ice water in the condenser, vapor will escape into the air.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

VisualDistortion
#3 Posted : 5/19/2009 9:04:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Would that mean that one should use dual condensors? Or should a bath of isopropyl alcohol and dried ice be cold enough for a single condensor.

69ron
#4 Posted : 5/19/2009 9:40:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM does this all the time. Just make sure you have plenty of cooling area. A long condenser or even 2 is good. The receiving flask should have a 24/40 top and be connected to the condenser with a small 24/40 claisen connecting adapter between the two. The claisen adapter has 3 24/40 connectors, 2 at the top, and one at the bottom. The bottom one is connected to the receiving flask, one of the top ones is connected to the condenser coming from the still, the other 24/40 top should be connected to a 24/40 hose inlet adaptor. The hose inlet adaptor allows a small amount of air to pass through but helps keep the DCM from evaporating away. If you have two condensers, then place the second condenser (it can be a really small one) on the other 24/40 top of the claisen adapter between the hose inlet adaptor and the claisen adapter. This will work very well to prevent any loss of DCM out of the hose inlet. With that type of two condenser system, you can expect to recover about 99% of the distilled DCM.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

VisualDistortion
#5 Posted : 5/19/2009 9:53:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks!

clamshavefeelingstoo
#6 Posted : 6/2/2009 4:39:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When using DCM to extract from a basified H2O solution, could the DMT-laden DCM be distilled off mostly, except for a very small amount to be later evaporated? DCM's BP is 40.. is that too high for freebase DMT?

69ron
#7 Posted : 6/2/2009 5:52:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's how SWIM does it, well sort of. He distills off the DCM and then right before all of it's gone, he adds cold acetone and then distills off the rest of the DCM until the acetone starts to distill. Then he evaporates the acetone. It works VERY WELL. Although I think it might cause some DMT-Oxide to form. When SWIM extracts from chacruna he gets fantastic yeilds, so I don't think any is getting lost from the distillation of the DCM or the acetone.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

clamshavefeelingstoo
#8 Posted : 6/2/2009 10:31:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Excellent. This is good news, since solvent recycling means wasting less and reusing more. Also, this cuts down on wait time for the evap or freeze precip.