We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Adding Terpenes to Cannabis & Extracts Options

arcologist
#1 Posted : 12/10/2014 12:51:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone here experimented with adding extra terpenes (such as limonene, myrcene) to cannabis or cannabis extracts to enhance flavor and/or effects? Some of the terpenes have been shown to be modulators of the effects of THC, so adding them may increase effects significantly. In fact, most of the differences between strains is thought to be caused by their different terpene profiles. Additionally, the terpenes have their own medical values.

I got some foodsafe D-limonene and I am going to try adding it to enhanced leaf/hash oil/bud to see the results. Are there any other cannabis terpenes that can be easily obtained in pure form?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DreaMTripper
#2 Posted : 12/10/2014 5:30:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting idea. Let us know how you get on!

Cosmic Spore
#3 Posted : 12/10/2014 6:26:01 AM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

Interesting idea indeed. A somewhat related article: Terpene Isolation Could Be The Future Of Cannabis.
Drake Dorm @ MedicalJane wrote:
Kenny realized he was able to collect large volumes of water and alcohol, and minute amounts of volatile terpenes. He could then winterize the solution, and be left with pure, isolated terpenes as the finished product. He was then able to separate the water and alcohol, using a graduated cylinder or seperatory funnel, and be left with terpenes as the collected product.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 12/10/2014 6:29:41 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

other than subjectively pleasing scent (personally, i think toluene smells better) and high solubility (like dissolves like), Idk of any other advantages to using limonene or other terpenoid solvents i.e. potentiation; afaik, there is no potentiation
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

arcologist
#5 Posted : 12/10/2014 8:06:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
other than subjectively pleasing scent (personally, i think toluene smells better) and high solubility (like dissolves like), Idk of any other advantages to using limonene or other terpenoid solvents i.e. potentiation; afaik, there is no potentiation

Check out the attached paper. There is definitely some synergy.

benzyme
#6 Posted : 12/10/2014 8:53:16 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

now explain what you got from that paper...
do you want to prevent breast cancer, or prevent cellular oxidative damage? how does that potentiate central activity?

anyone can post papers... but you have to explain the implications of the claims.

you also need to understand that receptors and enzymes operate on a principle of diminishing returns, i.e. downregulation, feedback inhibition, etc.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

steppa
#7 Posted : 12/10/2014 8:58:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When making BHO I once added a drop of limonene essential oil, and drop of basil essential oil to the extraction tube, before the extraction process took place.

The product tasted great. Potentiation wasn't experienced.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

rOm
#8 Posted : 12/10/2014 9:12:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

To the O.P. : I had this thought also, but never went into experimentation.
Let's see and share results. I will be making more BHO, QWISO and other types of edible extracts.

I thought to start too with some of my citrus essential oil but then possibilities are endless ...
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

GOD
#9 Posted : 12/10/2014 1:39:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Arent at least some esential oils carcinogens ? Are the esential oils mentioned carcinogens ?

My personal opinion is that if someone feels the need to add things to cannabis to get more drug effect either they have crap or they have abused it / themselves so much that the full effects are not felt .
I am autism spectum ........ please dont burn me at the stake for being honest .

endlessness
#10 Posted : 12/10/2014 1:53:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah Im with benz here, I'd love to see some experimental data on this, appart from hypothesis.

I read a few times (in that paper included) claims regarding myrcene, for example the couchlock effects and how its a sedative, but the claims are kinda distant from the actual data. -> Yeah ok maybe some mice experiment showed some effect in some dosage, but what about in our relevant case, humans, and marijuana concentrations? Is myrcene analgesic at what dosages, what dosages are found in cannabis, what dosages are effectively ingested, how do those compounds act together with other compounds, is there competitive binding that prevents action, etc etc

Either way it's an interesting subject, maybe in the future we do get info that some of these compounds can affect the experience, maybe only in dosages not found in the plants but possibly when taken 'supplementally', or maybe there are no noticeable changes. Either way, I'll def be interested if you guys and gals find any further info Smile

arcologist
#11 Posted : 1/4/2015 7:25:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I received some D-limonene, myrcene, linalool, and alpha-pinene. So far I have only experimented with smelling the different terpenes.

Myrcene seems to have the most pronounced effects of the four - two inhales over the open bottle and almost instantly I become twice as stoned. The enhanced effect lasts for 10 or 15 minutes. This only occurs when I already have cannabis in my system. When I am sober, the myrcene has no effects aside from smelling nice.

Alpha-pinene seems to bring some clarity to the experience when inhaled. Interesting since it is often found in piney sativas.

Here's an article that gives an overview of the most common terpenes.
Terpenes: The Flavors of Cannabis Aromatherapy

arcologist
#12 Posted : 1/6/2015 8:44:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's a good overview of the different cannabinoids and terpenes in cannabis with detailed explanations and data.

http://steephilllab.com/resources/cannabinoid-and-terpenoid-reference-guide/

Mitakuye Oyasin
#13 Posted : 1/6/2015 11:07:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting arcologist. Please keep up the good work. Besides CBD, do you know if any terpenes have any effect on muscle relaxation and/or pain relief?
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.