We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Does pKa drop as temperature goes up? Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 4/21/2009 4:11:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Does pKa vary as the temperature goes up?

SWIM was freebasing an alkaloid in water at ROOM TEMPERATURE. Today was an extra hot day. The alkaloid freebased at 1 pH point lower than it normally does. SWIM was baffled at first. He did it over and over just to make sure everything was done according to procedure. The procedure used was not altered in any way at all, and has been performed dozens of times with the same results until today. It’s about 20 C hotter than it usually is. He performs the freebasing at room temperature, so the water is 20 C hotter than it has been pretty much all the other times he’s freebased the alkaloid.

So, the only thing that changed is the room temperature so the water is approximately 20 C hotter than it’s been in the past. Does this alter the pKa of an alkaloid making it freebase at a lower pH? SWIM’s pH meter is perfectly calibrated. He’s using the same amount of water, the same amount of base, the same amount of alkaloid, etc., only today it freebased 1 pH point lower. Is the hot weather doing this?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SpasticSpaz
#2 Posted : 4/21/2009 4:17:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yep, pKa can vary with temperature.

pKa is a function of the equilibrium constant for the acid's disassociation. Thus, by Le Chatelier's principal, if the disassociation is endothermic, then raising the temperature will decrease the pH required to freebase a given percentage of the alkaloid salt.

kemist
#3 Posted : 5/30/2009 9:25:06 AM

John

Dagger wrote:
What alkaloid were you working with 69ron?

Could anyone explain more thourougly the relation between pka and temperature?

That`s actually very good question. have to search some books and find out how to determine thisRolling eyes if it`s possible Confused
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

kemist
#4 Posted : 5/30/2009 9:29:28 AM

John

hey dagger didn`t you write this before???
dagger wrote:
What alkaloid were you working with 69ron? If you need ph 7.7 to freebase 50% harmine at 25C, what ph would freebase 50% at 100C?
cos when I quoted it changed to this
Dagger wrote:
What alkaloid were you working with 69ron?

Could anyone explain more thourougly the relation between pka and temperature?

What the heck Shocked
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

kemist
#5 Posted : 5/30/2009 9:55:53 AM

John

Dagger wrote:
haha. Yeah, I posted that first quote, but changed it within a minute, because I thought none probably knew the answer to it. You read the post before I had the time to change it Smile

GOTCHya doggy dagger! Laughing Laughing Laughing

burnt
#6 Posted : 5/30/2009 11:56:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

The relation to pka and temperature is similar to the relationship between pH and temperature. There are equations to estimate these changes. Consult a chemistry text.