We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Gravity questions Options

Fatcat
#1 Posted : 3/13/2009 7:41:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was talking to my Dad one day about gravity, and I have a question for those who know a lot about physics.

If there was a pane of glass that was 1 x 1 light years across, and a planet with significant gravity magically popped into existence next to the pane, would it break or bend?

to extrapolate, what I am wondering is if gravity is physical force, or the literal warping of space time?
This question is totally out of curiosity

oh and another thing I want to know, is if the moons gravity has an effect on air pressure, as well as water pressure. Like, is there a tide to our atmosphere?

If you haven't guessed I smoke a lot of pot and love physics. I posed the former question to an astronomer at the space museum in LA (forgot what its called) and he couldn't tell me, because no one had researched it yet.

So what are your thoughts?
By allowing this message to pass through your cornea, into your retina, you accept it as is and agree to my disclaimer regarding my posts that they are a complete falsification by doing so freeing me of all liability, direct, indirect, consequential or incidental that may arise from the instillation of this post in your memory bank.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Faust
#2 Posted : 3/13/2009 7:54:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Since this has nothing to do with light and penguin diagrams we can rule out any special and/or strange interactions of light and matter. Quantum Physics or more specifically Quantum Electrodynamics doesn't apply at all here, and there isn't a solid quantum theory of gravity. Or a solid theory of gravity for that matter (compared to the other 3 fundemental forces).

However you must take into account that glass is an amorphous solid, meaning that given a few decades the panes in an old house's window will be thicker at the bottom than at the top. As the atoms arranged hastily in the pane of glass will slowly flow downhill under earths normal gravity, 9.8ms^2, given enough time.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Sir Isaac Newton

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 3/13/2009 8:32:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yes pot+physics = great Very happy

let me give you a very nice tip.. do watch this documentary from bbc called parallel universe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_vpEyE6rug

this is part one, the links to the other parts are on the right

you wont regret I promiss

Saidin
#4 Posted : 3/14/2009 2:52:12 PM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

That is a great video, I've seen it on TV quite a few times and love watching it.

M Theory is so facinating, and actually makes a lot of sense.

There is some Russian scientist who discovered what he called Torsion Fields(Waves) which are waves that travel faster than the speed of light and crisscross the entire universe. This could be the basis of the membrane. Interesting things to think about.

Sciente and Spirituality are getting closer and closer every day.
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

memo
#5 Posted : 3/14/2009 3:27:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe that the glass and the planet would both effect each other. If the glass was a light year across it would have a significant amount of mass and gravity. Einstein said that gravity is the literal warping of space/time and that description works for it's behavior. About the moon's effect on the atmosphere. I think that it would effect the atmosphere but it would appear quite different in that the atmosphere isn't bounded by something like water is and so the impact on water is much more noticeable since you can see the tide moving up and down the land that the water is bound by. The atmosphere probably bulges due to the effect of the moon. I'll just Google that....Here's a link:
http://www.sciam.com/art...oes-the-moon-have-a-tida
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.

polytrip
#6 Posted : 5/28/2009 2:28:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Maybe the glass would collapse under it's own gravity and weight, and otherwise it would crack because of the planet's gravity, because space-time is never bend to exactly the same degree as the glass is.

polytrip
#7 Posted : 5/28/2009 2:33:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Faust wrote:
Since this has nothing to do with light and penguin diagrams we can rule out any special and/or strange interactions of light and matter. Quantum Physics or more specifically Quantum Electrodynamics doesn't apply at all here, and there isn't a solid quantum theory of gravity. Or a solid theory of gravity for that matter (compared to the other 3 fundemental forces).

However you must take into account that glass is an amorphous solid, meaning that given a few decades the panes in an old house's window will be thicker at the bottom than at the top. As the atoms arranged hastily in the pane of glass will slowly flow downhill under earths normal gravity, 9.8ms^2, given enough time.

There is a quantum theory of gravity; 'quantum-loop-gravity' theory. It's not unlikely that it will replace string or 'M' theory eventually.
It contains some quite challenging concepts like space and time being made of tiny bits.