We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Aya2014 presentation on possible role of endogenous DMT Options

Bancopuma
#1 Posted : 10/1/2014 3:39:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is Ede Frecska's fascinating presentation he gave at the World Aya Conference on the proposed endogenous role of DMT in humans.

"N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is classified as a naturally occurring serotonergic hallucinogen of plant origin. It has also been found in animal tissues and regarded as an endogenous trace amine transmitter. The vast majority of research on DMT has targeted its psychotropic properties with less focus on its effects beyond the nervous system. The recent discovery that DMT is an endogenous ligand of the sigma-1 receptor may shed light on yet undiscovered physiological mechanisms of DMT activity and reveal some of its putative biological functions. A three-step active uptake process of DMT from peripheral sources to neurons underscores a presumed physiological significance of this endogenous hallucinogen. In the presentation, we will overview the literature on the effects of sigma-1 receptor ligands on cellular bioenergetics, the role of serotonin, and serotonergic analogues in immunoregulation and the data regarding gene expression of the DMT synthesizing enzyme indolethylamine-N-methyltransferase in carcinogenesis. We conclude that the function of DMT may extend central nervous activity and involve a more universal role in cellular protective mechanisms. The assumed role of DMT in cell protection, regeneration, and immunity helps understanding why ayahuasca has been used traditionally in healing ceremonials among the indigenous and mestizo cultures of the Amazon Basin."

http://www.scribd.com/do...-Ibiza-September-27-2014

& the paper itself.

http://www.plosone.org/a...1%2Fjournal.pone.0106533

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 10/1/2014 4:19:41 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Bancopuma wrote:

Even though it is a very nicely conducted in-vitro study which will hopefully lead to better studies that aim to understand the roles of dmt in our bodies, it is only sad that the anti-inflammatory effects of dmt and 5meo were demonstrated by administering to their experimental cell cultures over 10x the concentration of tryptamines achieved by e.g. a 70kg person ingesting 100mg of dmt.

Maybe continuous aya administration (e.g. over a few days) might be the key to significant, clinically-relevant immunomodulation.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Ashelor
#3 Posted : 10/5/2014 6:21:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Yes, I definitely agree with you. I do believe that regular consumption - due to the different intracellular sequestration mechanisms - may have a robust effect on immune functions. A single shot of brew may not.

However, it seems that the threshold concentration of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT - concerning their immunoregulatory capacity - is somewhere around the 10uM magnitude (in serum/supernatant). You will find a titration curve in the supplementary material that shows anti-inflammatory effects at as low as 5-10 uM of DMT/5-MeO-DMT, which is easily achievable per os. This effect is nearly not as massive as the 100uM, nevertheless it is sufficient to "poke" dendritic cells. And if there is a cumulative effect here, well...

We will find this out soon, in vivo experiments are on the way. Smile
'A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.' - Zappa

'Religion is for people who're afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for those who've already been there.' - Deloria

cave paintings
#4 Posted : 10/5/2014 8:25:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome stuff. Forgive me if it's obvious and I've missed it, but is there a link/video/audio to the presentation or were only the powerpoint slides posted?
Thanks for posting!
Living to Give

Ashelor
#5 Posted : 10/5/2014 9:32:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

cave paintings wrote:
Awesome stuff. Forgive me if it's obvious and I've missed it, but is there a link/video/audio to the presentation or were only the powerpoint slides posted?
Thanks for posting!

Oh, thank you! Smile

As far as I know only the slides are available. Hopefully, they will also upload the recorded audio/video material soon. I'll let you know if I know more.
'A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.' - Zappa

'Religion is for people who're afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for those who've already been there.' - Deloria

jamie
#6 Posted : 10/6/2014 6:27:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Hey I really love this guys work, thanks Bancopuma. I read Inner paths to outer space a number of years ago, so was familiar with him..but now I have been looking into his research online and it's really compelling stuff.
Long live the unwoke.

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 10/6/2014 10:10:58 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Ashelor wrote:
Yes, I definitely agree with you. I do believe that regular consumption - due to the different intracellular sequestration mechanisms - may have a robust effect on immune functions. A single shot of brew may not.

However, it seems that the threshold concentration of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT - concerning their immunoregulatory capacity - is somewhere around the 10uM magnitude (in serum/supernatant). You will find a titration curve in the supplementary material that shows anti-inflammatory effects at as low as 5-10 uM of DMT/5-MeO-DMT, which is easily achievable per os. This effect is nearly not as massive as the 100uM, nevertheless it is sufficient to "poke" dendritic cells. And if there is a cumulative effect here, well...

We will find this out soon, in vivo experiments are on the way. Smile

This is very interesting to know, thanks!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

universecannon
#8 Posted : 10/6/2014 12:53:03 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Cool, thanks banco!

Ede is actually a member here Smile

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"