We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Why even try, if you can't be the best? Options

feelsolar
#1 Posted : 5/26/2009 2:45:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

No right or wrong answers, let's discuss.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Drake
#2 Posted : 5/26/2009 2:50:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If one never try's, then he will never find out if he CAN become the best.
How To Stop a Nightmare
Insanty at its finest!
The Dark reaches of The Void are there. But it is not to be feared.

۩
#3 Posted : 5/26/2009 3:00:28 AM

All of us together, we are everything.
We are the best, we are the worst.
Collectively making up one giant brain.
Each human, a cell.

feelsolar
#4 Posted : 5/26/2009 3:01:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Is there really a best? The definition of "best" is different for most of us, so what exactly is it? A space we try to fill? A light at the end of the tunnel? A goal?

feelsolar
#5 Posted : 5/26/2009 3:04:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

slidewinder wrote:
Each human, a cell.

We are stuck to the web, but what is the force that drives you to continue to be an impeccable cell? Keeping this metaphor going what becomes of the cells that no longer strive to be impeccable? Does the body suffer?

Drake
#6 Posted : 5/26/2009 3:17:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

feelsolar wrote:
slidewinder wrote:
Each human, a cell.

We are stuck to the web, but what is the force that drives you to continue to be an impeccable cell? Keeping this metaphor going what becomes of the cells that no longer strive to be impeccable? Does the body suffer?

Thinking the same thing. I think the "brain" that is the human race is infested with cancer cells Confused . Truth no?

And. There is no best really, at least, you really don't know who is the best. Always another who could very well be the "best". But dose not want the attention, or simply dose not believe he can be the best, so he dose not try!

I think the ones who ask the question: Why even try, if you can't be the best? Are the ones that could very well become the best without knowing it!
How To Stop a Nightmare
Insanty at its finest!
The Dark reaches of The Void are there. But it is not to be feared.

feelsolar
#7 Posted : 5/26/2009 3:44:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, the cancer is everywhere. Ain't a fun fact but its been the trend as of late.

I don't think there is a "best", I just like to see what people define best as. I ask the kids in my philosophy classes and a lot of them turn up with very materialistic versions of best, or at least society based perspectives. But this society is a hive mind of sorts, so the best in society's views becomes the mold. I don't think that mold could ever be filled, it seems to grow every time someone fills it.

But when we take away the societal best, the molds, the goals, where are we? I see infinity, but I keep growing towards a light (like our plant friends). What is enticing us to grow? Very happy

Morphane
#8 Posted : 5/26/2009 4:08:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I've been grappling with a problem similar to this, but first I will address the original question.

Of course try, because your ultimate opponent is yourself. Some people seem to have better resources, whether financial or physical, and things come easier to them than others. It might seem unreasonable for someone with a handicap, to aspire to an elite level of some activity. But if such a person has the desire to perfect the thing, then they should rejoice. They are simply playing the game with an increased difficulty setting.

For example, I might have a video game with three settings: easy, normal, and hard. Playing on easy level is boring. Winning is no achievement whatsoever. Normal setting is more fun, but ultimately becomes boring. But the hard setting is another thing entirely. Sometimes you might only just get across the line by the skin of your teeth, but that feeble victory is ten times more satisfying than beating the game on easy.

So even if this thing you are working on cannot compare to the results others have achieved, don't worry.

What I'm wondering though - is it a waste of time trying to be the best at something, when time might be better spent just enjoying the superb achievements others have made? Like why even try to learn the piano, when there have already been countless musicians who have taken the instrument to its absolute limits?

Why write music when there is already more music existing than could ever be danced to.

VisualDistortion
#9 Posted : 5/26/2009 4:32:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

slidewinder wrote:
Each human, a cell.

Why even have a discussion at this point? Who should give a fuck about anything at that point. I should go shoot someone up with heroin because it'll be the same as shooting myself up with heroin. Statement like this just undermine those who achieve to their fullest and exhault those who do nothing. Winners and loser are not the same. Those who try are better than those who do nothing.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

۩
#10 Posted : 5/26/2009 4:50:45 AM

VisualDistortion wrote:

Why even have a discussion at this point? Who should give a fuck about anything at that point. I should go shoot someone up with heroin because it'll be the same as shooting myself up with heroin. Statement like this just undermine those who achieve to their fullest and exhault those who do nothing. Winners and loser are not the same. Those who try are better than those who do nothing.

Relax. This is only one perspective (And it's macrocosmic). There are....billions? Infinite?

I know there is a drive to be the best. I am infused with it in everything I do. Have been since birth.
It must be a genetic thing. One that constitutes the "role" of an individual.
This, plus environment, = personality.

Then, everyone elses perspectives dictate the best. It's all subjective to the observers.

nibpack
#11 Posted : 5/26/2009 4:53:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As an artist living under another artist's shadow I feel this question is central to my being.

Perhaps the answer is; Someone will come along and find YOU to be the best person they can imagine.

Maybe love is the answer?
"My shoes are so far away from me, man I can't believe it!"

burnt
#12 Posted : 5/26/2009 8:45:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Just do what makes you happy as long as that doesn't involve hurting others. Best is too subjective. What someone else thinks is the best may not be what you think it the best.

MalargueZiggy
#13 Posted : 5/26/2009 8:58:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Best is too subjective. What someone else thinks is the best may not be what you think it the best.

Yep yep yep. Also, it depends in what way you mean. Say you were 'the best' in one field - a very slender chance bearing in mind how many people there are in the world, but you were completely adrift in another field. I'd rather be rounded.

There's so many examples to choose from, but here's one from my life and one that illustrates the point very well. I still play and have played chess and backgammon very extensively. Chess in particular seems to be a game that can force people to become insular, not only because of the nature of the practise you do, the nature of the game itsel, but also because of the nature of the brains that can play it.

Now, there were plenty of people better than me, and in order to compete with them I would a)have had to be single minded about chess from the age of 6 b)have to dedicate every waking hour to chess.

I'd much rather be well rounded and nowhere near the best in my field. It's important to point out that these things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but to get to be 'the best' you often have to sacrifice other things.

The other point I wanted to make is that the concept of 'best' implies competition with others, caring about being better than others - and by extension being hurt if you don't succeed (that's what the subject of the thread implies, that if you're going to fail then there's no point trying). It should be about self-improvement - of course there's a point trying, if only to be the best you can within your own limits. So you don't conquer the world? Who cares, as long as you are happy, fulfilled and rounded.
"Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity." - Flaubert

I do not engage in or condone illegal activities. Most of what I write is on behalf of people I've bumped into, usually several years ago and in countries where the things I mention are legal.

extrememetal43
#14 Posted : 5/26/2009 9:08:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

i think the point is to do your best...who gives a fuck about the others. u guys talk to tripped out sumtimes. ive been tryin to teach my son this. he has a tendency to half ass shit. im tryin to teach him to do the best he possibly can at that moment on what hes workin on. if your doin sumthin do the best u can!

sorry maybe im just not in the mood for tripped out talk but i think the point is do your best YOU possibly can at that monent in time. sure sum1 else maybe better. i dont think its about being the best according to sum1 else. but subjective to yourself and what your workin on at that moment.

basically stop half assin stuff. put your full effort into what your doing and be the best u can.

not the world is infinite and there are infinites best and we are one etc...my apologies too tripped out for me at this moment. just simply do your best! take pride in what your doin.

feelsolar
#15 Posted : 5/27/2009 3:48:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

One person may do their best in the eyes of others.
Another person may do the best in their own eyes.

Is one better then the other? Maybe not, but doing the best in your own eyes allows you access to infinity, being stuck in the eyes of others creates a box. I guess I prefer infinity, and being in my own eyes the only person I dissapoint is myself when I am not doing my best. Best is more like giving all your effort, if you give all your effort all the time you will grow, but not doing things/half assing it (whatever reason, not worth your time ect.) will stop you from growing.

So why do people decide stop growing?

Aegle
#16 Posted : 5/27/2009 4:13:16 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

I think you can only become the best if you keep on trying and learn from your mistakes. No one becomes a master at what they do over night, its only by pure dedication can you became a master at what you do. Everyone does have their specific gifts though and if your gifts are not in that specific area you'll just have to work harder to make it happen. We create our own reality and if we know how to listen to the universe we can achieve anything we want to achieve.

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart