We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Island in Scotland to be First 100% Self-Sustaining Place on Earth Options

Aegle
#1 Posted : 2/17/2014 5:16:04 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Island in Scotland to be First 100% Self-Sustaining Place on Earth

Much Peace and Understanding
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 2/17/2014 5:41:29 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

It's cool that they're so far ahead of everyone else, but the article title is pretty misleading.

Quote:
Solar panels, wind turbines and hydroelectric schemes sprinkled across the island meet the energy requirements of almost all of its residents.

The industry required to produce/manufacture these technologies and install them on the island is not sustainable. Things may be verdant and lush on the island and the residents may be applauded for their forward thinking in the current paradigm, but their actions/implementations have created environmental detriment elsewhere around the world. And hydroelectric (at the very least least) no doubt had some ecological impact right in their own backyards.

Just something to keep in mind Smile
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Aegle
#3 Posted : 2/17/2014 5:56:52 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

SnozzleBerry

Indeed I couldn't agree with you more... Though it is inspiring nonetheless.

Much Peace and Respect
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

MealeaYing
#4 Posted : 8/20/2014 9:42:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:

The industry required to produce/manufacture these technologies and install them on the island is not sustainable.

It will be and is one of the only industries even making an attempt.
Saying that its unsustainable is sort of misleading, no they are not perfect but they are BY FAR better than the alternative. I live almost 100% solar and wind powered. Things that I do not have control over prevent me from being 100% so far but that can and will change over time.
This island is doing things right, this is where humanity has to head in the future if there is to be a future for humanity.
The alternative energy sources to solar, wind and hydroelectric have already dug us into a very very deep pit we may have a lot of trouble getting out of. They are not trying and are opposed to those who do. They have never made any effort to be clean energy sources. The solar, wind and hydroelectric (and geothermal) industries have and are and make gigantic amounts of progress on a regular basis.
(-_-) {I do not know what I am doing, but I am doing it anyway)

Mustelid
#5 Posted : 8/21/2014 3:45:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree with Mealea. It takes some widespread adoption and the money that brings to address faults and perfect the technology. So though the silcon fabrication plants do have a large carbon footprint and other environmental consequences, the incentive to develop non-fab alternatives are huge.