We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1415161718NEXT»
~Phalaris = The Way Of The Future~ Options

Chimp Z
#301 Posted : 5/11/2014 4:30:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote from Jamie
hordenine is a phen and some claim it is empathic..its def a stimulant anyway as far as I can tell from my reading..when i smoked my extract i got minor tryptamine effects..then a very unpleasnt stimulation that lasted for about 3 hours..it made me uncomfortable the whole time..felt like mdma sort of for the first 10-15 minutes but after that whatever that alkaloid or mixture of them is that hits after the tryptamine is I dont like at all. Until I can seperate only the DMT and 5meo im staying away..I have unlimited ammounts growing all over anyway so its not like its going away, plus a freezer of the stuff.. end quote

//

I believe Hordenine is in many other regularly utilized plant sources like Trichocereus cacti.
The only adverse effect on Phalaris I had was when I had to run outside to use the bathroom and my satellite was still open so ingested some of the paranoid vibes in the downtown air.
And a thought that comes to mind, Phalaris extracts sometimes last a little longer than Mimosa or Acacia extracts, which are respectively unique on their own, so maybe you were invited to stay longer than you were prepared for and mental audacity was breaching convenience.

Scanning through the Phalaris threads and love what I'm seeing.
Seems like you've done a lot of work with this beautiful teacher as well.Thumbs up Thumbs up

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Chimp Z
#302 Posted : 5/11/2014 4:44:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

Feel free to ask me anything you want, and I´m also willing to do any more tests with gc/lc-ms as is necessary.

Have many Pacific Northwest P. Arundinacea samples.
Will be collecting more wild P. Paradoxa for bioassay.
Ended up smoking all the extracts and losing the remaining "test sample" in a move, meaning it might still be around, just unlabeled.

Able to make P. Brachystachys(North America, Africa, Europe) samples anytime.
Also am working with P. Angusta, P. Amethystina, P. Aquatica, P. Canariensis, P. Paradoxa, P. Minor, P. Platensis, P. Arundinacea 'Picta' etc.(South America, Europe, USA, AUS)

In my experience, P. Brachystachys seems cleanest with a tea simmered overnight.

Just yesterday even, my dog was chowing through some new growth next to my Phalaris field and so I picked an even sized half of a small plant and ate it. Sort of kept it on my tongue chewing it for a few minutes then swallowed.
Effects slowly crept in a little over 2 minutes later when I found myself zoning out in a meditative trance sitting back to back with my Phalaris patch. Felt dreamy so laid down and ended up falling asleep. Had smoked cannabis sativa within the hour prior to ingestion and the Phalaris seemed to psycho-activate the cannabis more. Felt like a more "in tune" ganja feeling

After that I picked an older plants new growth(4' tall plant) and a young plant's new growth(.5' tall) and held it out to my pup. He took a taste of the older plant's leaf and set it down then proceeded to eat the whole younger plant's leaf.
I feel it is safe to trust your dogs with safe Phalaris testing.

Chimp Z
#303 Posted : 5/11/2014 5:05:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
Livestock Health
New light shed on phalaris toxicity
Scientists have discovered how sheep and to a lesser extent cattle succumb to a polioencephalomalacia (PE)-like (nervous form) sudden death phalaris poisoning.
by Megan Broad,
for CSIRO LIVESTOCK INDUSTRIES

Quote:
Researchers have found an ammonia overload is responsible for phalaris poisoning in sheep and some cattle.
Although the best option in preventing phalaris poisoning would be to breed toxin- free plants, this could take up to 10 years.
Until then, researchers advocate grazing management methods that increase an animal’s nitrogen intake gradually before being fed phalaris.
Farmers and scientists have been grappling with the effects of sudden death phalaris poisoning for more than 50 years.
Although phalaris poisoning is relatively rare, compared with annual ryegrass toxicity for example, it can inflict considerable losses on individual producers.
More importantly, the industry as a whole loses out on the productive capacity of this drought-tolerant grass as some farmers shy away from it due to potential toxicity risks.
A popular grass
Phalaris is a popular perennial grass across southern Australia.
At least 2.5 million hectares of phalaris are estimated to be grown in Australia, of which about 60 per cent is in New South Wales, 30% in Victoria, 10% in South Australia and the rest between Tasmania and Western Australia.

Quote:
• Scientists have defined and described the cause of polioencephalomalacia (PE)-like (nervous form) sudden death toxicity from phalaris.
• The analysis shows phalaris contains a compound that inhibits a ruminant’s ability to metabolise nitrogen, resulting in elevated ammonia levels in the bloodstream, which ultimately cause brain damage.
• Funding is required to identify the compound responsible for PE-like sudden death and to develop toxin-free phalaris varieties.

also, some new info (to me anyway) :

P. minor (worldwide distribution) i believe is believed by the FDA to contain tryptamine alkaloids..some tests in the 90s detected dmt..
P. paradoxa is also believed to contain tryptamines [Aus. Vet. Journal 2008]

attached images: 1) Phalaris paradoxa 2) P. paradoxa گیاهان هرز ایران in Jordan 3) Phalaris minor 'Little Seeded Canary Reed'

Phalaris Pardoxa is in fact highly active.
10-20mg provided a completely out of body transdimensional time travelling experience.
Was harvested in summer after it went to seed, the seed heads were tinged with purple.
Something like 40-50mg from about 30g day-old harvest. Simple acid roast evaporation party.

Chimp Z
#304 Posted : 5/12/2014 5:18:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some Phalaris reports:

'Phoolin' Around With Phalaris'-Phree Phalaris Phor All

Picking Phalaris leaves and smoking them or vaporizing them straight after harvest gives a pretty enjoyable easily accessible tryptamine source. Works well with meditation.
A reported bioassay of smoking momentarily sun-dried Phalaris Arundinacea from a forest and it being most effective when bottom(old growth) and top(fresh growth) leaves were combined and smoked in a strictly Phalaris joint. Effects caught the user off guard with three-dimensional mystical patterns appearing and giving a fine body high. There are many other accounts of smoking dried grass and it being efficient and evidently effective.
An account of picking re-growth of three-month-old P. Brachystachys in October and loading it into a bong with nothing else gave the tryptamine face fee, increase of complex thoughts, and enhanced visual acuity like that of Psilocybin.
A very unsafe "Phalaris Jello" bioassay exists as of recently. When subject was drying out the simmered-down aqueous acetic Phalaris tar, some of it was put inside a jello mix and allowed to bake together. One serving of the jello using leftover crude extract was enough to feel high and further consumption led to dissociative trances blinking in and out. After eating the jello for consecutive days, a bit of nausea was felt. No MAOI was taken, rendering the Phalaris extract orally active on its own. Also, when chewing and swallowing Phalaris on LSD, "spiritual awareness" somewhat increases. Note that grass was dried for 5-7 days before extraction and was harvested near a lake on a rainy late-September morning.

The above mentioned "Phalaris Jello" bioassay is not recommended but proves the various and dangerous methods of ingestion. Phalaris tea and smoke never taste foul(to me) at all and actually are more easy going and tasty than some herbs and other Aya-teas.

Phalarian Rue
Dosage: oral 2g Peganum Harmala, 8g of various P. Arundinacea, P. Brachystachys, P. Aquatica fresh clipped(home grown plants) foliage. Body weight: 170 experience year: 2013

Peganum and Phalaris were simmered for a day on low and filtered out a few times. Brew didn't taste bad, burned throat a little though. Effects came on immediately, seemed like that was the Peganum Harmala talking. After a nice gentle high/body load with blurry visions was felt for about 30min, a wave of meditative trance came over me that was something in between lethargy and euphoria. Odd tears in the inner picture were observed, almost like how oil ignites on a surface of water(revealing blurred scenes of imagery beyond the tears). Visual waves that weaved the membrane web of data nets around me looked like The Matrix and an Alex Grey painting for a minute. When visions did suffice, they were short lasted. At points I was unable to distinguish if it was the Phalaris/Rue or my ego talking to me in little encouraging fragments.(In retrospect, took it during a greatly transitional time in life and had low esteem on receiving encouragement from plant teachers for whatever reason. So definitely was the Phalaris/Rue combo giving me the inspirations. I got this sense that the grass was possibly high in 5-MeO-DMT though no alkaloid analytical tests were carried out with TLC. Other noises and movements in the room became somewhat irritable, though no negativity was really felt. Was this possibly discomfort? Effects lasted 1 hour and 30 minutes. Ate sweet potatoes afterwards. 30 minutes after the experience(2hours later) feel completely at baseline with a nice sedated vibe. Thank you Phalaris Arundinacea, Phalaris Aquatica, Phalaris Brachystachys, and Peganum Harmala. This was very mild, content, enjoyable journey into a great meditative environment.

-So stronger effects lasted 1.5 hours and the come down I guess was another 1.5-2 since still felt "high" just not inner visions. Maybe NMT continuing to do its thing for a bit.

'Phly High With Phalaris'

Smoked 40mg of Phalaris Arundinacea crystals with cannabis underneath and Mugwort on top, elicited a smooth 5-10 minute journey, definitely coming down around 8 minutes. Effects noted were nice body buzz, feeling of pineal activation and odd/complex "DMT"-like geometric shapes and flying visuals. Also, in closed eye visuals there appeared visions of forests, trees, snakes, and other winding blue, green, and red imagery. Was said that it wasn't very "bright", sort of "dim". Possibly the notion that Cannabis clouds DMT-visions or the amount of light in the room at the time. About 15-20 minutes after that, more acetone-pulled Phalaris goop was scraped up and loaded into a pipe. The effects of smoking second-pulled Phalaris extract 30 minutes after previous bioassay were greatly different in many ways. It took longer than usual for DMT-like effects to kick in, "it was like I moved forward almost out of my body and it was very lucid feeling. Thought I was talking to someone at one point and it was hard to tell how long it lasted." Subject fell asleep afterwards. Note on second bowl that Cannabis was again packed underneath extract and dried P. Arundinacea grass packed on top. Another subject had smoked about twice as much extract all at once and only noted sedating mildly euphoric effects, though it was suspected that inhaled smoke was immediately released and not held in to initiate the best potency. Extracts were from November harvested P. Arundinacea.

A week later, a bioassay of smoking seriously 5-10mg(eyeball) of Reed Canary Grass extract with dried Phalaris underneath and Cannabis Sativa atop proved active. First effects were immediate, not surprisingly jolting or anything just a feeling of my soul easing itself with my body. Meditative "DMT-like" come up with less body buzz lasted 5 minutes and transitioned into the torso of the trip for near 15 minutes. Those moments in between dimensions was characterized by revelatory thoughts about spirituality and my place amongst the stars. A presence was somewhat detected and I turned my head. Effects seemed to increase with the moving of my neck and head. Also, deep breathing brought more the DMT but uniquely Phalaris colors and designs. After 20 minutes the dark almost vision-less journey revved up to almost appear as if the room was bright and bleeding through my eyelids. I opened my eyes soon after feeling a push of small propulsion and felt great as all fuck. Overall body effects were nice, relaxed, meditative, fluffy. Visual effects were subtle but more so geared at archaic sketches blurred in the mists of time's thousandth horizon. Experience seemed to last 25 minutes, notes were taken soon afterwards. Strongly oneric after-effects the 2-3 nights following. The Phalaris extract used was from a mid-November PNW field harvest.

Seems like this one resonates with Jamie's experience with the 5-MeO-NMT peaking wild P. Arundinacea.
Effects consistent to 5-meo-nmt:
instant feeling, but not a plowing rush. The space sort of vaporizes you.
Slowly misting into the ethereal yet you get to stay on Earth somewhat.
Lasts about 40 minutes after effects and all.
Peak around 15-25(10 minute peak).
A gorgeous lesson from the underdog Plant teacher of our human future.

---
While on one tab of LSD, two separate extracts from the same batch of grass were smoked in a pipe. Unsure as to which one was more effective or if both were equal since they were smoked close together with no time in between. Dried grass smoked in a joint with extracts and Cannabis a short while after provided the cleanest experience, much more active than with the extracts alone. The dried grass was from a September harvest, the extracts were that of an August expedition.

"Managing Alkaloid Production in Phalaris"
Although the presence of tryptamine alkaloids in the Phalaris genus has been widely reported, these reports show quite a bit of variation in which specific alkaloids are present and in what concentration, though every Phalaris bioassay we have conducted has proven active, ranging from the pineal lubricating qualities often felt by smoked Damiana(Turnera Diffusa), to the sedating effects of Cannabis Indica, to full out of body experiences, even some sort of dissociation not necessarily similar to a "mystical" experience. For example, smoking two different extracts of November harvested Phalaris Arundinacea during the peak of a Psilocybe Cyanescens journey allowed me to experience the "clockwork elves" crawling out of my eyes with shoots and ladders and just tumbling into the world constructing geometric monuments that were brightly colorful as well as eccentric, but I did not realize what that occurrence could have possibly been until after the mushrooms wore off and I was collecting my thought fabrics. These were crystals that were collected after evaporating the 24-hour freeze precipitated Naphtha and no chromatography of any sort aside from the effects of the bioassay listed above indicated the presence of any of the alkaloids claimed. The other time traveler who also smoked the Phalaris crystals, a Phalaris-goo extract, with Cannabis and Skullcap(scutellaria lateriflora) wedged above and below at the same time, used more(25mg VS 40-60mg), and experienced heightened increase in open and closed eye activity of visuals and mentioned a lost childhood memory popping into his head. Were testing for 5-MeO-DMT so a small amount was used to dose the first time and was increased for the second round which was 5-10 minutes after first smoking interval. Now, a few factors come to mind when assessing the mildness of the experience: if all collected alkaloids in the crystals were smoked at one time(60-85mg), there was a general consensus that a highly entheogenic experience would have been achieved. Also, if more time was given in between sessions, it definitely would have been more potent, due partly to the "DMT-wall-of-time" of about 30 minutes that should be allowed if expecting more intense blast-off sequences and also the observations of many that Phalaris seems to mildly hit immediately after smoking but takes a bit longer than the usual 2 minute veil before release. We could have waited a little longer for the first effects to hit to see what each experience uniquely brought, but all is said and done and were all part of a remarkable night. Sometimes the smoking peak has appeared at the 15-20 minute mark, giving me the suspicion that either the Beta Carbolines or other tryptamines like N-Methyltryptamine(NMT), 5-methoxy-n-mehtyltryptamine(5-MeO-NMT) and 5-methyltryptamine(5-mt) and the B-Carbolines contained have seen little to no assaying by themselves outside of limited obscure lab-animal experiments or in-vitro on-paper equations of what chemists and pharmacologists think might happen, so all of these tryptamines, including sometimes Bufotenine(5-Hydroxy-N,N-Dimethyltryptamine), could be the causative extenders of the expected simply-DMT experience from Phalaris grass extracts. The Phalaris experience, whether ingested or smoked, is very unique to the grass in particular. Similarly, as the various alkaloids in Psilocybin fungus fill in so many cracks of the mushroom experience, the variety of indoles beside DMT in Phalaris adds a splendid effective new kind of entheogenic rush to the table. Imagine the DMT is just the pepper on top of the poultry.

A few days later an account of smoking the Reed Canary Grass crystals and crude-goo extract synergized well with the Acacia Confusa crystal extract that was being smoked at the same time. Alcohol was consumed a half-hour prior so effects seemed to be lenghtened on their own, but general body buzz and elevated perception were more noticeable than usual, possibly due to alkaloids in the crude Phalaris extract, or just everything all together.

Crude extractions from a June harvest in the Pacific Northwest gave two subjects intense visuals and body pull and complete disembowlement of time perception, and strongly affected sensory signal relay for a moment while on one tab of LSD, the other on 2 tabs. The person on one tab of LSD smoked 3-5 hits of it and tripped very hard as opposed to the other on 2 tabs who took 1-2 puffs that were held in for close to 45 seconds and experienced effects that were less overwhelming than the person on one tab noted. This is a totally subjective comparison and varies. Might quite possibly have vaporized most of the good alkaloids before passing it to the other person.

All harvests were from PNW zone 7b except P. Pardoxa which was from zone 8b, yet only a few hours drive from our regular post-up.

More notes to come!
Love and Blessings
Thumbs up

ichgoftsf
#305 Posted : 5/12/2014 6:59:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for those, Chimp! Growing, drying and smoking grass sounds like a fun thing to do for people with a garden.
...Sitting in the sandpit, life is a short trip...

IANS
#306 Posted : 5/12/2014 7:24:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have some p.arundinacea seeds, wish I had p.brachystachys but might aswell germinate what I have. But really, there are such better sources available for the time being. Should be fun playing chemist when the time comes tho.

Thanks for the info Juggz
I Am Not Someone Who Isn't Me!

jamie
#307 Posted : 5/12/2014 7:49:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

when you say you used cultivated arundinacea, can you specify strains?

I am surprised you can obtain any effects from smoking dry arundinacea leaf. Nice write up. I will have an article out very soon on my own field work with phalaris arundinacea, with some more work to follow as this season progresses.
Long live the unwoke.

Chimp Z
#308 Posted : 5/12/2014 8:33:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually really surprised too at the amount of success.
There might be escaped Yugoslavian strains in my area.

All my cultivated varieties are from random vendors.
Not until recently have I begun to cultivate 'Yugo Red'

Dried leaf works, just have to catch it at the magic moment.
Think dried shade plants would work well dried in a spliff since they'd be higher in 5-meo

Have been passing around a "primer" of my works as well. Made around 50 copies of 1st edition and 50 of version 1.5 Working on full color 2nd edition with more info on the part it will play in our future besides entheogenic sources(energy crop, paper, etc.), also with Canary seed recipes for P. Canariensis and P. Minor.

Would love to collaborate.
Got oceans of Phalaris Arundinacea in my vicinity.

The lowest yield was .002%

Enjoy working with Phalaris though. It's good medicine for the life force.

datdmt
#309 Posted : 6/5/2014 11:18:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey chimpZ , how much of the grass are you smoking , I have AQ1 and I've gotten about 70g went in total and after it's dried it's 7g so that means it's 99% water. And 7g of grass is a whole sandwich Baggie full of dried grass. So at 1% alkaloid level that would only be 70mg . It's just way too much to even consider smoking , even 2g is a lot. And way to much to smoke. And that would be 20mg at 1%. And the grass you claim to smoke is way lower than 1%.

I'm skeptical but I'm going to try and smoke a bit of fresh and dry grass to see what happens.
It feels familiar , for good reason.

Chimp Z
#310 Posted : 6/14/2014 4:40:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya I have had success with fresh p. Brachystachys and p. Arundinacea foliage. Also with an arundunacea flower. Nothing extreme, just a sort of rippling water visual effect with visuals and sort of stimulating meditative body feel.
Time of day and season is important.

Cognitive Heart
#311 Posted : 6/20/2014 5:55:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello all!

This particular plant (Phalaris Arundinacea) grows extremely wild all around my area. I have a few questions regarding its potential. I'm aware of the alkaloid content as it truly is a great candidate for my first extraction. If someone with experience in locating, extracting and experiencing could answer only, thanks! I want to get to this ASAP.

I will be following what Jim DeKorne created in this article below. It seems similar enough to other TEK's here on the Nexus.

- Is now the best time to harvest or earlier/later? The flowers are blooming beautifully.

- How many leaves are necessary for proper extraction?

- Is the Gramine content of any concern regarding its total structure/content?

- What is the best TEK so far on the Nexus?

- How fast do the leaves degrade under freezing temp?

- Are there any other questions I should be asking or missing?

http://deoxy.org/smokedmt.htm

Thank you for your time in advance!

Smile
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

dreamer042
#312 Posted : 6/20/2014 6:11:22 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Much of this information can be found by searching the forum, but since wild phalaris grasses are a pretty convoluted topic and the information is kind of scattered, I'll do my best to clarify my own understanding.

- Is now the best time to harvest or earlier/later? The flowers are blooming beautifully.
As far as I know tryptamines peak in spring before flowering and beta carbolines peak in fall after flowering. The "best" as far as tryptamine alkaloid concentration is new growth less than 7 days old, but young growth weighs very little so the more practical method is to use mature plants and collect large amounts of biomass.

- How many leave are necessary for proper extraction?
I would start with at least 1 kg of fresh material or 100 grams dried material. Ideally you would want to use several times that amount, say 5-10 kilo fresh 500-1000 grams dried to make the process worth your time. There is some information out there that says it's better to use fresh grass because alkaloids can be converted or degraded by enzymatic processes.

- Is the Gramine content of any concern regarding its total structure/content?
Gramine is not much of a concern as it is insoluble in limonine and naphtha and likely other non polar solvents as well, however wild grass has an extremely variable alkaloid profile. Patches a few feet away from each other can contain completely different mixtures of alkaloids; this one high in gramine, that one high in bufotenine, that one over there high in beta carbolines and so on. It's always going to be some kind of mixture of alkaloids when using wild sourced material. Thus, it is extremely important to find some way to analyze what is in your extract before consumption.

- What is the best TEK so far on the Nexus?
There really is no one best tek for alkaloid extraction. All teks on this website, if performed correctly, should obtain the alkaloids from the plant material. It really boils down to which materials you have available, your understanding of the chemical processes taking place, and personal preferences.

- Are there any other questions I should be asking or missing?
You should ask yourself what your intentions are. Are you looking for DMT? If so, you'll want to skip the wild grass and work with something like acacia or mimosa or start growing a phalaris strain with a known alkaloid profile such as AQ1 or Big Medicine. If however, you wish to explore the teaching potential of the plants in your local bioregion; proceed with caution, find a way to analyze your extracts, and please do report your results. Thumbs up

Some links with good information on Phalaris:
Phalaris FAQ
Phalaris Wiki
The Phalaris Analysis Thread
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Cognitive Heart
#313 Posted : 6/20/2014 7:26:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the response! Cleared up some questions there nicely and professionally, much appreciated! Smile

According to my knowledge, Phalaris Arundinacea is classified as a psychedelic plant. Is this not accurate information? You explain PA has higher beta-carbolines than that of other desirable compounds, if any, so its not very attractive compound wise, IMO. Though, with another source of N-N-DMT, it would be good to have some BC's to create a mixture. I'm after the main source, really. Wink

It is very scattered, that is why I ask directly instead of gathering everything at once with varied information.

The purpose is to obtain an extract of N-N-DMT, yes. Collecting that much doesn't seem worth the hassle, but interesting plant nonetheless. Growing high alkaloid Phalaris spp would be ideal instead of relying on wild, varied alkaloids, agreed. In my region, this is definitely my main concern as many of the PA that grows here grows near tall, bamboo-like Phragmites which are quite toxic in terms of overall alkaloid content.

I would not know how much 1 kg of PA is. Is this photo accurate or is more required? Fresh grass properly pulverized etc, agreed.

Photos obtained from net, not mine. No camera ATM. This Phalaris plant I speak of grows on the edge of an isolated forest, right next to a upgrounded walking path. On the other side is a lot of dead/alive Phragmites and riverbed. The PA also grows among other unidentified plants, but the plant itself looks great! Perfect condition. Flowers are bright, purple/pink with relatively small-medium sized leaves. Wish I could take a picture to aid in the process.

-(missed Q)How fast do the leaves degrade under freezing temp?

-How does one go about analyzing the completed, extracted, dried plant material?

-What is AQ1? > Phalaris aquatica var.?

Thank you very much for your time! I shall check those links posted for verifications and other related info. It seems PA is favourable in 5-meo-dmt rather than that of n-n-dmt, trace amounts of bufo. Also, a quick A/B with fresh leaves is a possiblity.

Quote:
Regarding the extraction itself, the plant should be extracted as soon as possible after harvesting since plant enzyme activity can break down alkaloids, even if drying the plant. If plant is not extracted immediately, it should be stored in an alcoholic solution in cold and dark. For extraction, a standard A/B could potentially work well, boiling plant material 3x in acidic water (pH anywhere from 1-6 should work), filtering, reducing to small manageable amount by low boil or simmering, and then basing with NaOH and pulling with solvent. Alternatively, a dry tek (check the nexus extraction teks wiki for more info) with calcium hydroxide or sodium carbonate could work but there haven't been enough tests to say for sure.

Thumbs up

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

dreamer042
#314 Posted : 6/20/2014 9:27:50 PM

Dreamoar

I'd wager any random patch of P. arundinacea you find will contain at least some alkaloids that are psychoactive, if not fully psychedelic, so there is some justification in listing it as a psychedelic plant. There is just so much variability amongst wild specimins, it's pretty much impossible to know exactly what you'll find in any given phalaris patch.

This means each one you find is going to be a different and unique medicine, which is really cool, as it offers pretty much unlimited potential for research into and development of strains with entheogenic potential. That is a lot of hard work however, requiring analysis and assay to identify those varieties, then propagation and/or breeding to utilize and share them with others as sources medicine. Fortunately this work has already been done for us to a great extent, at least for DMT and 5-MEO-DMT, and strains with known alkaloid profiles are available.

There are two possible routes to DMT from wild phalaris grass. One would be to do as said above and find, analyze, and propagate/breed for the presence of DMT, which as also noted above, has thankfully already been done for us. Big up to Johnny Appleseed and the rest of the Enthogen Review legends for giving us that lovely gift. The other route is to just extract all the wild phalaris you can find, then proceed to separate the hodgepodge of alkaloids using chemical techniques, the most simple and viable method we know of currently being column chromatography.

To give you a very rough estimate of the amounts we are talking about here. A kilogram of fresh material should mostly fill a standard plastic grocery bag. That's equal to about 100 grams of dried material which is pretty much a gallon sized ziplock stuffed completely as full as you can get it. Alkaloid content is very variable, but let's just throw out a realistic (if a bit optimistic) average of .03% in fresh material to make things easy. That would be about 300mg of extract per kg of fresh material. At 5 kilos that would be 1.5g of total alkaloid extract. So for a reasonable sized (1.5-3g) yield you are talking 5-10 grocery bags of fresh material.

Now it's completely up to chance how much DMT would be in this total alkaloid extract, depending on the mixed profiles of all the different phalaris patches you collected from. Let's say you did hit the jackpot and the patches you collected were rather high in DMT. Let's be generous and make the calculations easy and say it was 10% of your total extract. Thus of your 1.5 g phalaris alkaloid extract you end up with 150mg of pure DMT. Remember these numbers are quite optimistic and in reality you'll probably yield less than is outlined here. Anyway, that should explain why wild grass is not a great source for pure DMT.

So you extracted your 5 kilos of fresh grass and you have your gram and a half of extract, now what? You have several options for analysis: As it stands reagents are the most widely available and simple option for testing your extracts, unfortunately they are also the least precise. Hopefully consumer TLC kits will be released soon to make this type of analysis more available to everyone as it would be the most accessible option with a reasonable level of precision. Of course the ideal would be full on analysis with a mass spectrometer, and that is available as well, but it tends to be rather expensive. In the end the only way to know for sure the potential of a phalaris extract is to brave up and take the plunge into direct bio-assay, but the precaution of using these other methodologies to find out what is actually in your extract will go a long way in protecting your personal health and safety in this type of exporation. Remember to always start low and stop at any sign of negative effects when working with new/unknown compounds.

So the bad news is that DMT from wild grass, while possible, is probably not worth the investment of resources. However, the good news is that there is a goldmine of entheogenic exploration potential in those endless stands of wild phalaris that cover the globe, just waiting to be discovered by researchers with the skills and fortitude to explore this territory. Furthermore, phalaris strains selected for DMT are our best bet for long term sustainable cultivation. (At least in those first couple decades while you are waiting for your acacia groves to mature) Wink

Moral of the Story: Wild phalaris is not a good DMT source but is a rich source of potentially entheogenic strains and the sustainably minded psychonaut would be well advised to start propagating the known strains right away.

P.S. - Phalaris Aquatica var. AQ1 is one of the known strains being propogated. The literature claims it can contain up to 1% DMT. These claims haven't been fully verified yet, but preliminary testing indicates it does indeed possess a very clean, high DMT, alkaloid profile. Thumbs up

P.P.S. - Blades/leaves should degrade little if at all when frozen, this is a viable option for storing fresh material long term. Analysis indicates DMT is present in dried grass as well so keeping the material fresh is not really a huge concern. More tests need to be done to determine differences in alkaloid profile between fresh vs. dried material.

P.P.P.S. - Dry teks on phalaris have been performed numerous times and they work just fine.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Cognitive Heart
#315 Posted : 6/20/2014 10:32:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks again! Very informative. Very happy

Very true, I'd imagine each patch contains various alkaloids. Some of toxic value, entheogenic value and unusual value. Our only means of proving what is in the strains is through doing accurate analysis.

I like the idea of each patch having different outcomes alkaloid wise, but is no where near perfection. Growing feels right instead of just taking some from the wild, it feels safer with a better understanding of development. If all goes wrong with analysis/assay of wild strain, it can only come to that option of growth.

Column chromatography seems way out of my league at the moment but fascinating nonetheless. Growing, propagation, chemical extraction, separation etc - is more so what I can do next year, in the mean time, there it is right around the corner.

Quote:

To give you a very rough estimate of the amounts we are talking about here. A kilogram of fresh material should mostly fill a standard plastic grocery bag. That's equal to about 100 grams of dried material which is pretty much a gallon sized ziplock stuffed completely as full as you can get it. Alkaloid content is very variable, but let's just throw out a realistic (if a bit optimistic) average of .03% in fresh material to make things easy. That would be about 300mg of extract per kg of fresh material. At 5 kilos that would be 1.5g of total alkaloid extract. So for a reasonable sized (1.5-3g) yield you are talking 5-10 grocery bags of fresh material.

Those are some fair estimates and yields. Razz

Considering N-N-DMT is active well below 300mg, its enough to last for a long while. However, this will depend on the plant itself and not what we suppose it to be. I can work with this but it will take time and effort. That time being soon hopefully. I can collect as much as I can, leaving a full bag to dry for a while(long term) - while collecting more fresh blades, considering it degrades quickly fresh (that being the source desired and leaving only trace 5-meo-dmt(which is still great) and everything else below that). If I can get a bag full of fresh leaves as well, straight to preparation, in one day, with everything considered, not a bad idea at all! I could obtain 150mg equally (if its even a good score) by leaving half to freeze and prepare the other half/fresh simultaneously. Consider it done! Even if it doesn't end up having desirables, it will be fun to at least engage and learn a few things. Bioassaying will be determined on given material leftover. Smile

Quote:
Remember to always start low and stop at any sign of negative effects when working with new/unknown compounds.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Pleased

Quote:
Blades/leaves should degrade little if at all when frozen, this is a viable option for storing fresh material long term. Analysis indicates DMT is present in dried grass as well so keeping the material fresh is not really a huge concern. More tests need to be done to determine differences in alkaloid profile between fresh vs. dried material.

Thank you! Once collected, I'll freeze half to protect valuables and prepare the other fresh half directly, you see? So 1 bag fresh-freeze and 1 bag fresh prep. It seems both dry/fresh methods work fine in either situation. Only time will tell, really.

Thumbs up

Chimp Z
#316 Posted : 7/23/2014 6:00:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The grass I'm talking about being active is a large field of P. Arundinacea growing in my yard, not cultivated, yet cared for.

A recent experience I had with Californian (zone 9b) P. Arundinacea validates my claims and own previous bioassays.

2 grams of Psilocybe Ovoideocystidiata were ingested.
2.5 hours later while walking along a river, a handful of glistening blue P. Arundinacea is ingested on an empty stomach(aside from the mushrooms).
Another half-mile down the trail and a shaded silvery blue batch is selected from.
All in all, 2 handfuls were eaten.
This is after the peak effects of the mushroom were wearing off.

Visual reveries entered my mind bringing me deeper into a colorful conversation with the pulsating wildlife around me.
A few(maybe 15) minutes on a boulder and it passed.

Peaked a second time after eating the Phalaris.
Honestly must have been a really good strain since that much was felt.

Always end up running into good strains for some reason.
I have a high tolerance to Cannabis, Sassafras, smoked DMT, Psilocybin mushrooms, and other medicines as well as eating a "vegan" diet consisting of foods rich in flavonoids.
High tolerance meaning I have to smoke a little extra than everyone else usually.
These Phalaris patches are communicating and it's important we give them the time of day so we can dance in the ethereal pastures through the night.

Intezam
#317 Posted : 8/13/2014 9:43:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Somebody wrote elsewhere:

Quote:

I would love to rely on brachys but my experience with it was that you will have to keep buying more seed. I did not get nearly enough seed back to plant the same ammount this summer as I did last summer.

We find above to be not true. We purchased just a hundred seeds, of these we sowed out (in december) only about 10%, from these resulted about 15 sprouts, and we combined about five each in three 10" pots. We used old, recycled, black potting soil, nothing fancy. No perlite. Nothing added. We did, however, water it with lukewarm, magnetized water (at the beginning) and put the sprouts under a table lamp. Now these plants have become so big, that they have become difficult to manage (the often fall down in windy weather). We already collected more than 5 grams of seeds from just one pot. From the others, we used to pull out the inflorences whenever they showed up in order to produce more leafy blades. Now that we collected enough leaf blades, we leave the plants alone to seed. The secondary inflorences that emerge from the sides appear to be smaller and less vigourous then the ones from the center collumn, anyway, they still produce lots of seeds. Since P. Brachystachys seems to shed it's seed from the top of the inflorence first (unlike it's domesticated variant P.B. Canariensis) seed collection is a pain, unless one covers the inflorences with mesh or plastic (we cannot bother). What we do is, every couple of days we shake the inflorences and collect the ripe seed on a sheet of paper. The rest will be blown of from the balcony. Sometimes a few green seeds would fall off when collecting seeds. We tested these green ones, by just throwing them into another pot, to see if they sprout at all. They do sprout too. But probably they have a shorter shelf life. But we don't know. We attached a picture where these green seed plants grow together with some harmalas and p.brachystachys baby clones (first two pics). We also attached some pics from the larger plants.

Anyways, we'd suggest to pull out the first inflorences from the center straw, because if one lets it go into fruting, the plant will exhaust itself over seed production, then turn yellow and hybernate/or die. This was our observance at least. They can easily be cloned, by cutting the reed near the bottom nodes, sometimes roots are already there.If not,honey is a good rooting hormone. Four to five clones can be made from one reed. (works best in spring) However, the clones will continue in the same cycle as their parent plants (seed production...etc).

dreamer042
#318 Posted : 8/13/2014 9:53:49 PM

Dreamoar

Fascinating!

So you chop the flower heads off as they begin to appear and this prevents the plant from going to seed and dying off and this allows perpetual leaf production?

When you clone you just cut the stalk near the bottom and root it out instead of dividing up the rhizomes?

This is really interesting information thank you for sharing Thumbs up

Intezam
#319 Posted : 8/13/2014 10:29:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:

So you chop the flower heads off as they begin to appear and this prevents the plant from going to seed and dying off and this allows perpetual leaf production?

Yes, it will produce new inflorences from it's other nodules, each new inflorence has about three new leave blades coming with it.

dreamer042 wrote:

When you clone you just cut the stalk near the bottom and root it out instead of dividing up the rhizomes?

We cloned many plants that way and gave them away (the last 2 pics are of plants that we cloned this way).

basilic
#320 Posted : 8/17/2014 4:31:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Amazing information chimpz your posts are Thumbs up

«PREV1415161718NEXT»