We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
MDMA & heart rate Options

nexalizer
#1 Posted : 7/11/2014 12:03:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For posterity and for anyone out there interested in the information, a couple of days ago I had a 1.5mg/kg experience with (well tested) MDMA, and since this was immediately after a long bike ride to an enchanted forest, I decided to record any heart rate fluctuations over the course of the experience (i had the hr monitor with me due to having cycled there, in other words).

While normally my HR is in the lower 60's, it remained around 80 before the experiment even begun (and not due to anxiety; having taken this substance in the past, I am well aware that there is absolutely nothing to fear), which is attributed to being on post-exercise recovery (roughly 1h30 of 100-140 BPM, cycling to the place)

At no point during the experience did the HR go above 90; in fact it stayed around 80 for about 70% of the time.

I did not have a blood pressure machine with me, but it would have been interesting to record as well. Perhaps next time (it will be at least half a year), or perhaps someone else can complete the picture.

Do note that save for getting up 2 or 3 times, I was either sitting down and meditating or writing, or just lying down and cuddling grassVery happy ; In other words, there was barely any physical activity.

Cycling back (at T +3h) was pretty uneventful in terms of HR, I did not notice it going up any higher than it should, though certainly the temptation (stimulation) was there.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Shanghigher
#2 Posted : 7/11/2014 1:41:38 PM

Burning the locals, abusing the tourists, terrifying the help.

MDMA on a bike ride, must give that a go Very happy I've gone cycling on acid, which was hugely enjoyable. Far too wasted to measure my heartbeat though!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Infectedstyle
#3 Posted : 7/11/2014 1:59:10 PM
I compulsively post from time to time

I still find it worrisome that HR is a constant 80 without a real need for it. 20bpm higher than normal is significant. Cycling on MDMA is great. I did not quite get ur initial sentence though, 1h30 of 100-140bpm while not on MDMA? Since you mentioned that during the experience the HR did not go over 90. Does that mean that your heartrate was low during the experience? Blood pressure might be something to record. But I don't think pure MDMA is much to worry about it. The stuff I had is slightly yellowing and may not be completely clean. It is in Holland though and everybody seems to agree that we have the best stuff in this regard. Pleased

nexalizer
#4 Posted : 7/11/2014 2:30:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infectedstyle wrote:
I still find it worrisome that HR is a constant 80 without a real need for it. 20bpm higher than normal is significant. Cycling on MDMA is great. I did not quite get ur initial sentence though, 1h30 of 100-140bpm while not on MDMA? Since you mentioned that during the experience the HR did not go over 90. Does that mean that your heartrate was low during the experience? Blood pressure might be something to record. But I don't think pure MDMA is much to worry about it. The stuff I had is slightly yellowing and may not be completely clean. It is in Holland though and everybody seems to agree that we have the best stuff in this regard. Pleased

Let me try to make it a little clearer.

I only ingested the MDMA after arriving in the forest and cooling off for about 30 minutes, so the 1h30 of 100-140bpm is on the way there, no MDMA.

During the cooling-off period the HR was always around 80 (which again, is about 20 beats higher than my normal); I hadn't taken the substance yet at this point; I assume this to be normal, but I'd never measured HR after exercise; just during, and before. There probably is a period where the heart is working a bit faster after exercising, and that may be where the slightly increased HR before taking the substance came from. But I am unsure:

All I can say for sure is that it wasn't caused by anxiety. I've taken MDMA around 4 times, most of them from this batch. So I knew what to expect, and I knew I had the good stuff. Absolutely no anxiety (and an epic afternoon predictably followedVery happy)

So whether it was low or not is relative; It was definitely a little bit higher than my resting normal, but I have measured it before and it easily gets to 80-90 while just walking on a normal day. Heck, even just digestion increases it a good 10 beatsRazz

At the same time one has to consider than 80 is just 10 beats more than half of 140, which was the peak during the cycling there.

I did expect SOME increase in HR, considering that MDMA is a stimulant. Just didn't know how much, and that's why I figured it would be interesting to measure the difference.

On the way back I guess you could say I was cycling on MDMA; I still felt the magical peacefulness that the drug can bring forth, and there was an obvious hint of stimulation and a desire to go faster, which I dutifully ignored. The result was that the HR on the way back was pretty much the same it was when going to the forest, 100-140 (around 110 most of the time, as a conscious effort was made to not put any additional unecessary strain on the cardiovascular system).

You are most right about measuring BP; If I had a machine for that, I would've taken it.
Perhaps next summer Smile

p.s: Keep in mind that this was at 1.5mg/kg. I suspect the impact on the cardiovascular system will be much higher with higher doses.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

Cognitive Heart
#5 Posted : 7/11/2014 3:29:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1.5mg is quite strong indeed. Considering the amount of neutral/negative effects recorded with MDMA experiences, you can safely say very powerful, strong/heavy doses can lead to complete dehydration, coma and death if enough is taken(also quite rare).

You can get a pretty good idea of very high doses leading to uncomfortable and sometimes life-threatening situations here on Erowid.

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_effects.shtml

The cardiovascular system is forced to work harder under MDMA states, especially with continual usage and I don't think many people do this either. Anyways, much of negative effects are completely open to the user countering them with the right set and setting, friends/family, dosage, comfortable environment, healthy mind-body etc. Many higher dosages can lead to and certainly have led to fatalities regarding MDMA due to cardiovascular collapse, so using a heart monitor for MDMA sessions might benefit the user into their own output regulation. Certainly would be interesting results. I suspect MDMA as a drug, as all chemical stimulants have varying degrees of access and stability within the organism. The results will always be different.

--

Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Infectedstyle
#6 Posted : 7/11/2014 4:51:32 PM
I compulsively post from time to time

Btw, Thanks for clearing that up Nexalizer. I know what you mean with not pushing it while cycling. But often I am more concerned for my legs well-being than my heart in that regard. Since there is pretty much no fatique experienced at the dose that you mentioned it is hard to discern the limit of muscles. I seem to get more tired legs the next day from physical activity after MDMA than I get from aprox. the same activity without MDMA.

nexalizer
#7 Posted : 7/12/2014 1:43:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cognitive Heart wrote:
1.5mg is quite strong indeed

Yes, way too strong!

I meant, 1.5mg/kg, which in my case worked out to about 130mg total dose.

nexalizer
#8 Posted : 7/12/2014 1:46:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infectedstyle wrote:
Btw, Thanks for clearing that up Nexalizer. I know what you mean with not pushing it while cycling. But often I am more concerned for my legs well-being than my heart in that regard. Since there is pretty much no fatique experienced at the dose that you mentioned it is hard to discern the limit of muscles. I seem to get more tired legs the next day from physical activity after MDMA than I get from aprox. the same activity without MDMA.

Yes, while I don't have much experience in this matter, I suppose it will be common with any stimulant.

Once on the come down of a nice acid trip i went for an epic 2 hour run, buildings wiggling, seagull trailers everywhere and distorted sounds. It was quite glorious of course, but I didn't really feel tired..until the next day, when my legs were very, very soreLaughing

p.s: Dear readers, it is probably not wise to exercise when under the effect of a strong stimulant. But I am not a MD.