We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Alterations to Noman's STB Tek ?'s Options

kid_icarus
#1 Posted : 5/15/2009 11:31:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The Remarks section of Noman's Tek suggests forgoing the Ammonia wash and replacing it with a Sodium Carbonate wash of the Naptha as seen in Step 7 of Vovin's Tek

This all makes perfect sense, but another comment in the Remarks section of Noman's Tek leaves me with a question:
Quote:
Note that if pre-powdered bark is being used, 1.5 - 2X of the water called for will be required.

I will be using pre-powdered bark so plan to double the water, but doesn't this also call for a doubling of the amount of lye to keep the pH at the same level as if the water hadn't been doubled?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 5/16/2009 2:28:40 AM

The Great Namah

kid_icarus wrote:
The Remarks section of Noman's Tek suggests forgoing the Ammonia wash and replacing it with a Sodium Carbonate wash of the Naptha as seen in Step 7 of Vovin's Tek

This all makes perfect sense, but another comment in the Remarks section of Noman's Tek leaves me with a question:
Quote:
Note that if pre-powdered bark is being used, 1.5 - 2X of the water called for will be required.

I will be using pre-powdered bark so plan to double the water, but doesn't this also call for a doubling of the amount of lye to keep the pH at the same level as if the water hadn't been doubled?

No, for two reasons:

1) you are using so my lye that doubling the water will not reduce the pH that much. pH runs logarithmicly (I think) not linear. I never learned how to run the calculations correctly, but doubling the water will NOT need a doubling of lye to keep the pH consistant. Others can expand on this better than I.

2) you are using powered bark. The lye does not have as much work to do. Part of the reason a STB works is because the lye eats through the cell walls and exposes the DMT to the solvent. Being ground so fine there is a lot less cell wall to eat through.

Really you can have the pH at 12.0-12.5 when using powdered bark and still have really good yields.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Xstacy
#3 Posted : 5/16/2009 8:54:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

This is why I argued that Lye is not required if you grind it or have it pre-ground. Higher PH does seem to prevent emulssion.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

kid_icarus
#4 Posted : 5/16/2009 9:25:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the answers! So is the doubling of water when working with powdered bark worth it?

Xstacy
#5 Posted : 5/17/2009 1:01:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

When SWIM did his last Rx he used 750ml of water to 75g powdered RB with 75g of Lye.

shrug experiment, if you get poor results on the pulls, add slightly more lye or if you get lots of emulsion, definately add lye. If when you add Naptha, you do not get 2 layers, you need more water, at least according to SWIM.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson