We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Terence McKenna's last mushroom trip was in 1988! Options

universecannon
#41 Posted : 7/11/2012 5:43:11 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Schwann Cybershama wrote:
News Flash!

Terence's last trip was NOT in '88 and Dennis's book will reflect that.

best

Schwann Cybershaman

Apparently he still used dmt and aya on occasion ( and recalled using lsd some 150 times). But are you referring to the pure psilocybin he said he was working with after becoming aware of the brain tumor? Or mushrooms?

Given that you were friends with the guy it'd be cool to hear more of your perspective Schwann Smile

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Schwann Cybershama
#42 Posted : 7/11/2012 7:00:48 PM

Schwann Cybershaman

I'm specifically referring to dried mushrooms as in cubensis

universecannon
#43 Posted : 7/11/2012 9:16:03 PM

hmm, thanks schwann. i'm curious though; If Dennis' book will reflect this, then why does the excerpt that Bruce read say he never took them after 88?

Schwann Cybershama
#44 Posted : 7/11/2012 10:48:49 PM

Schwann Cybershaman

Dennis's book will mention this because, after reading this thread I reminded him of a conversation we once had in Spain where we covered this subject. Thank you all for bringing it up. I can report that Dennis was pleasantly surprised.
http://cognitionfactor.net

fourthripley
#45 Posted : 7/11/2012 11:09:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've been following the comments to the podcast and have just noticed i's been taken down. Curious.
mistakes were made

Schwann Cybershama
#46 Posted : 7/12/2012 1:04:40 AM

Schwann Cybershaman

Haha, Maestro Dennis Mckenna reworked hyperspace fast with ethics beyond reproach and an intellect which sparked brother Terence into incandescence. IMHO, Terence could not have done it alone.

Anthimus
#47 Posted : 8/6/2012 4:57:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lorenzo pulled the podcast from the salon a few weeks ago. However, the comments are still available.

Quote:
UPDATE July 18, 2012: At the request of Dennis McKenna and the McKenna family this podcast will remain off-line indefinitely. They have also requested that the comments be held back. In an email that I received from Dennis today he said:
“Please tell folks that I apologize to them, but that I erred in releasing it prematurely, and thereby compromising the family’s privacy. Tell folks that I am asking for their indulgence and understanding, and that I expect that a better book will result from this.” -Dennis
This podcast has been temporarily removed at the request of Dennis McKenna. Unfortunately, some of the material from his upcoming book was from an early draft and will not be included in the published edition of the book.

After consulting with Bruce Damer, I hope to be able to remove the portions of this podcast in which excerpts of Dennis’ book were read. If the program still “holds together” after those edits I will re-post this podcast.

As for the comments, having once been in a situation where my posts were removed from a site without asking me, I deeply understand the frustration of those who took the time to make those valuable comments. All of that material has been preserved, and it is my intention to re-post the comments also.

Thank you for understanding,

Lorenzo

http://www.matrixmasters.net/salon/?p=595

r2pi
#48 Posted : 8/9/2012 1:18:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, I must say...

.. that podcast really confirmed a lot of my prejudices about Terence McKenna. (At the same time, Bruce Damer and Dennis McK were touching in their loving approach to the matter.)

... on the other hand, it has prompted me to seek out more of Terence's output, which is much easier now than it was 10 years ago. I think it has to be acknowledged that at times he was extremely sharp and incisive. Very quick on his feet and effortlessly able to clearly articulate a position that makes crystal clear sense.

http://www.youtube.com/w...Qo8c&feature=related

Very very few people would be able to express such an insightful position so concisely even with the chance for endless revision, let alone off the cuff in this way.

I am really quite amazed that the same person came up with Timewave and all that nonsense.

CatholicPsychonaut
#49 Posted : 8/10/2012 10:40:59 AM

"Nature loves courage"

Schwann Cybershama wrote:
Haha, Maestro Dennis Mckenna reworked hyperspace fast with ethics beyond reproach and an intellect which sparked brother Terence into incandescence. IMHO, Terence could not have done it alone.
so, Cybershama, you are friends/acquaintances with Terence and Dennis? What do you think is the reason Dennis forgot about some later mushroom trip well enough to publicly release an excerpt that said what it said. Clearly there's some issues being taken with the passages, due to Dennis asking Lorenzo to take it down, but Lorenzo makes it sound more like family feuding over Terence's legacy than any inaccuracies in the content of the passage.

I do agree with you about Dennis. Looking back on it now, as an adult in his 30s, the whole thing strikes me as not unlike the relationship between Shem the Penman and Shawn the Post in Finnegans Wake. Shem is the writer of a letter, a manifesto which contains within it "the word" itself. Shawn is "the postman"who is charismatic and delivers the letter to the world. In the meantime, though, he allows (or possibly convinces) people that HE is the writer of the letter, and gets all the game for its greatness.
"Christians often ask why God does not speak to them, as they believed God did in former days. When I hear such questions, it always makes me think of the Rabbi who was asked how it could be that God was manifest to people in the olden days whereas nowadays nobody ever sees God. The rabbi replied, 'Nowadays there is no longer anybody who can bow low enough.'"
--Carl Jung

Schwann Cybershama
#50 Posted : 6/9/2014 11:49:21 PM

Schwann Cybershaman

Man, time flies. OK, in answer to your question, which I've just seen nearly two years later, Dennis could not be expected to know what his brother did in South Africa under the influence of The Three Mikes....I wrote a chapter of a book, published on Amazon, and part of Todd Fahey's Far Gone Books, about this...I think it's readable from free...or up to and including that part is...xo

http://www.amazon.com/Jo...ries-ebook/dp/B00AMSDXAY
Cognition Factor [2009] - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413787/
TMOM2012 - http://cognitionfactor.net/tmom2012.html
H+ Magazine - http://hplusmagazine.com...avelling-transhumans-t3/

Orion
#51 Posted : 6/11/2014 12:14:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So he took psilocybin or psilocin after 1988? Was this at active hallucinogenic doeses? If so, it's pretty much the same as taking shrooms IMO.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Infectedstyle
#52 Posted : 6/11/2014 2:23:41 PM
I compulsively post from time to time

I coulden't care so much if he did or did not do mushrooms. Sure, I'm interested. And would like to know more about his personal experiences of his mushroom trips. But something like that does not discredit him in the slightest in my opinion. His words speak for them selves.

Happened to check this out yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR8Eys21Hvc .

From what I understand he shrooms during the making of TMOM in 96'
Terence himself called it a light trip. Mike said it was 2 grams dried. Is that you, Mike? Big grin

AcaciaConfusedYah
#53 Posted : 6/11/2014 3:51:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

The first and last thing I have ever heard Terence talk about was one lecture on dmt. "Machine elf this, Machine elf that, this is truth, blah blah blah. Why have no religions been started about this stuff? Blah blah blah. " I could not find resonance with his words. He seemed no different than some radical preacher that lives to hear themselves talk.

I've gained way more useful knowledge from discussing things on the nexus, with "regular" people than I've ever gained while listening to a "master." In my opinion, the best teachers are the ones who have no ego that demands the attention of a crowd. They claim no truth, because they are aware that truth is personal.
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

Infectedstyle
#54 Posted : 6/11/2014 4:16:32 PM
I compulsively post from time to time

^ But you probably do not hallucinate Terence Mckenna in another dimension talking to you about who you really are Razz

Imo, Leary and Mckenna are in the same boat. They are radicals who kind of neglected some of the things which we would perceive as essential. Terence is missed. He was a hell of a guy. I don't see him as a guru, or a god. Tho perhaps he is one. He was in essence a great person to talk to and to listen to. He served a purpose for unveiling alchemical history and spreading the psychedelic message in a modern context. I am almost certain that I would never have heared of DMT had Terence Mckenna not do what he did. His mission was to spread the word of DMT. He wasn't preachy in that sense, he just shared his honest thoughts. I don't think he ever claimed anything he said to be true. He was a witty speaker though he could certainly twist words to fit his agenda. But then again, his purpose was not to be the embodiment of truth as far as I am aware.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#55 Posted : 6/11/2014 4:33:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hehe, you are correct, I do not hallucinate Terrance talking to me in another dimension....

I see that he was very influential for many people, however I did not find the same influence. Same with Leary. He does not strike me as the type of individual that I resonate with. It is not the agenda that i disagree with. It is the method of delivery that doesn't sync up. Of course, this is only personal to me. Anyone else is welcome to think of those guys how ever they like, and I wouldn't think any less of them. Very happy

universecannon
#56 Posted : 6/11/2014 7:27:35 PM

Terence always emphasized that he was not a guru and to trust your own experience, not his or his words. He wasn't claiming to pedal The Truth that you should believe, and often said the opposite. He was far from perfect but it seems that a lot of people who criticize him in such ways have only a cursory understanding of his writings and talks.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#57 Posted : 6/11/2014 11:02:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Perhaps you guys have allowed me to view from another perspective. I haven't taken much time to review much of his work, I have primarily heard about him through second hand reports. Maybe it is the nature of some of the "die-hard" followers that could have given me that interpretation.

Maybe I'll go do a little more digging and see how i feel about Terrence after that.

PREV123